Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central.
Page 4 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
IP: Logged
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central. (0)  
zonhin wrote:
A moderator is messing with us. No normal member(s) could have that many points.

A few member got insane amounts of mods from "Don't Ask and You Shall Recieve" namely Larrymurk, Stefan, Techant, Silver, and Robobob3000. Hmmm..

05-17-2007 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central. (0)  
Dex Stewart wrote:
Oh how people on this forum love eachother...
We're better then most.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
05-17-2007 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central. (+2)  
Let me tell you a little story.

Way back in... ooh... 2003ish, back when the forum was young and carefree... some people were getting a bit annoyed. And the reason for the annoyance was that some people were posting almost pointless posts. Why? Because next to their name on each post was a little number saying how many posts they had made, and when this number reached certain values the text under their name changed and their username became a different colour. And these people were so desperate to reach the next colour/text that they posted anything.

So the Powers That Be thought, and suggested a Solution. The number would no longer increase with posts, but would change by other forum members choosing to increase (or decrease) it according to the content of the posts. And this change was welcomed and the people saw that it was good.

But sadly, people were still keen to keep pushing this meaningless number up. And people became very sad when this number was decreased for reasons they thought were not good enough. And so while the original problem was solved, it created a bigger one...

And this caused more people to be sad, for those who did not care about the number became annoyed by those who did, and so dissent and anger grew and they lost sight of the fact that this entire system was implemented to stop people making irritating posts.

So. Please. Let's stop this childish behaviour. Let's keep the forum the fun, relaxed place it used to be before modpoints were ever an issue. In fact, I hereby make an official petition to the moderators:

Please remove modpoints, rank points, post-counts or any other system whereby people have a meaningless number that they will want to inflate and/or be upset if it decreases.

There. I've said it. Rant is now over.

"Oook!"
05-17-2007 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central. (+1)  
Please remove modpoints, rank points, post-counts or any other system whereby people have a meaningless number that they will want to inflate and/or be upset if it decreases.
Would that also include the highscores? I (and I believe many others) think those are pretty meaningless in light of being able to copy someone else's demo and other factors.

05-17-2007 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central. (+1)  
I like both systems. It may certainly be because I'm near the top of both, but I don't think "random, uncalled for down-mods" are a good enough reason to nix a good system, which allows for this behavior by design. Sure, it feels bad for the person getting downmodded, but there are only two reasons for it to be looked at.

1. Somebody hacked the system.
2. A moderator is behind the majority of the downmods.

Any other situation means that somebody is using their modpoints as they see fit, which is all I want from the mod system. And by whatever private criteria you decide. Even if it is the dartboard method.

As for the high score system, the number is not meaningless, because it represents something which is able to be scored objectively. Yes, demo-reduxing makes the number a bit less believable, but I don't want to get into the sniping fight again.

To every rule, there is a loophole. To every system, there are rules. I'm fine with the loopholes we currently have, and I think that any changes now would simply result in different problems down the road.

05-17-2007 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Actually, you'd have 322-500 mod points or whatever if you just happened to have at least that many rank points and didn't mod often.
05-17-2007 at 10:11 PM
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
Banjooie wrote:
Actually, you'd have 322-500 mod points or whatever if you just happened to have at least that many rank points and didn't mod often.
Well, We can rule out abusive mods. (Though it didn't sit right with me, mainly because this community, in general, is nice.)

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 05-17-2007 10:30 PM]
05-17-2007 at 10:29 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central. (-1)  
Banjooie wrote:
...where did that number come from? You don't play this "game" with default mod points.

This single thread has eaten closer to some 6000 already, mostly by the +-100's.

Coincidentally, I saw this thing go from -1 to +2 without any mods online. Either someone's playing Hide and Seek, or someone else has been quietly given infinite supply.
05-17-2007 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Doom wrote:
Coincidentally, I saw this thing go from -1 to +2 without any mods online. Either someone's playing Hide and Seek, or someone else has been quietly given infinite supply.
That'd be my bet. The admin's occasionally fling large amounts of mod points to forum members on a whim.

However, there may also be more than one person doing this, or someone's hacked the system.

It almost seems like its Maurog modding down all the posts, considering that it doesn't seem to be serving any other purpose than to kick up a fuss.

As for people complaining about people being concerned over a number next to their name, this actually creates a sense of achievement and is very beneficial to the community. I mean, I'm willing to bet that H&S wouldn't nearly be such a useful place if it wasn't for the mod point system. Just because you don't care about something doesn't mean you should expect everyone else to follow suit.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 04:50 PM]
05-17-2007 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Ok, guys, listen to this novel idea.

You don't want any more of your posts randomly modded, then delete all your old posts and don't post any more. Seriously, that's the only way it will work.
05-18-2007 at 01:15 AM
NiroZ
Ezlo wrote:
Ok, guys, listen to this novel idea.

You don't want any more of your posts randomly modded, then delete all your old posts and don't post any more. Seriously, that's the only way it will work.
Brilliant! There might be a slight problem that you can't be modded up either, but who cares? And if everyone does it, we won't have to worry about downmod discussions.
Or any other discussions for that matter.:blowup

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 10:25 AM]
05-18-2007 at 05:38 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
This is all just getting silly.

05-18-2007 at 06:58 AM
NiroZ
Jason wrote:
This is all just getting silly.
Only now?:blowup

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 10:25 AM]
05-18-2007 at 07:20 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Because it's come up in private messages:

The only modding I've done was the -100 to Maurog, and that'll be reversed as soon as Maurog is willing to come to the table and be constructive. Someone else is doing most of this modding, I don't know who, I don't know if it's the mods or what.

I don't know who keeps doing these -1s, either, but it'd be nice if they could at least explain themselves. Modpoints are not a solution.

05-18-2007 at 07:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
krammer wrote:

Yeah, you're right, it's probably best to just remove the whole modpoint system. It's not as if your value as a DROD-player/forum member/whatever depends on the little number under your username, and there's plenty of good reasons, beside modpoints, to keep being nice and helping each other. And what have this forum come to if modpoints is the only thing that should restrain people from righting all sorts of crazy/mean posts? :?

05-18-2007 at 10:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Dear Lord, are you people still talking about this? Allow me to refer you to this story.
05-18-2007 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
to be honest as funny as getting rid of the modpoints and ranks would be, it means people would actually have to confront posts they found offensive by replying in some form, and oh man the drama that would cause would make me happy.

And nobody wants to make ME happy, right?

Right.
05-19-2007 at 09:00 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
OMG! :eek

Look at Briareos' post! +100?!?

Me jealous. <_<

Seriously, someone's got mods to waste!!!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-21-2007 at 02:27 AM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Banjooie wrote:
And nobody wants to make ME happy, right?

Right.
Wrong. I want to make me happy. I'm playing with words.

[Last edited by Monkey at 05-21-2007 02:35 AM]
05-21-2007 at 02:35 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Careful...play with words and you're going to get learned.

05-21-2007 at 03:25 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Okay, this is all getting a bit silly.

Actually, now come on, this has gotten very silly indeed. The point of the rankpoint system is not for mods to mod down people who've done wrong, that's what the ban button is for. That is why mods have it and everyone else doesn't. And it's not for residents to express disapproval, either, that's what we have harsh words and swears for. Actual communication, which gives people a much better chance of either correcting their actions and reforming into a Jeff_Ray, or of hopelessly spluttering when someone calls them.

I still suspect that there's someone else who's stealing my precious bodily fluids causing trouble, but I'm pretty comfortable in concluding that Maurog was just using the exploding smilie as an excuse for a chance to sow some discord, something that he really didn't take to having returned to him. We can get enough discord from Banjooie the rest of the internet, so it's a bit of a shame that someone who was generally pretty okay had to get so... petty. If only he'd used his powers for good instead of evil!

So, yeah, Maurog gets his rankpoints back from me, in a kind of parole situation. Dude keeps his nose clean, he gets to keep them, even though he couldn't be buggered doing something constructive about the explody smilie.

05-21-2007 at 04:59 AM
NiroZ
Mattcrampy wrote:
I still suspect that there's someone else who's stealing my precious bodily fluids causing trouble,
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one considering making a reference to that.:blowup

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 10:21 AM]
05-21-2007 at 05:50 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Preverts.
05-21-2007 at 08:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
05-21-2007 at 11:27 AM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
I hereby state that it wasn't me doing all this downmodding.

05-21-2007 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neathro
Rank Points: 41
As do I (I only have 3 mod points anyway) :lol

05-22-2007 at 12:34 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I sugest that every forum member that didn't do the down modding posts here to say so. That would be truely meaningfull.
05-22-2007 at 12:59 PM
NiroZ
Blondbeard, I didn't know you were so skilled in sarcasm :lmao You've made my day.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 10:19 AM]
05-22-2007 at 01:18 PM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Blondbeard wrote:
I sugest that every forum member that didn't do the down modding posts here to say so. That would be truely meaningfull.

I was speaking as one of those with 'unlimited mod points', so there! :P

[Last edited by jamie at 05-22-2007 01:54 PM]
05-22-2007 at 01:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
The process of elimination is a terrible thing, blondbeard. :D
05-22-2007 at 06:10 PM
Page 4 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com