Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : DROD on wii.
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
IP: Logged

File: untitled.png (41.3 KB)
Downloaded 73 times.
License: Public Domain
icon DROD on wii. (0)  
What if the next game was on the Wii system? It could work with the button configuration and the joy stick. Open the file with paint to edit ect.
05-08-2007 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
icon Re: DROD on wii. (0)  
No.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
05-08-2007 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
The PS3 can do it because of linux. you could probably hack your Wii put linux. Pretty simple process if your up to it.
05-08-2007 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Thy Dungeonman
Rank Points: 32
I want a DROD game on either the DS or the GBA. Except the screen wouldn't work for that because it's too small... but maybe a new game, developed by the DROD team, would be nice. I just want a game that's like DROD that I can carry around with me.
05-08-2007 at 03:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 535
Something like DROD for Mobiles?

05-08-2007 at 05:19 AM
Tombot
Rank Points: 58
God, its always Wii this and Wii that.

Why must Everyone want everything on the Frigging Wii!

NO.

05-08-2007 at 11:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Because of the other options, 1 console is riiiidge raaaaceeer, and the other is developers developers developers developers developers developers?
05-08-2007 at 11:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Regardless of peoples feelings over the Wii, I fail to see the point of having DROD on any of home consoles.
05-08-2007 at 11:47 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: DROD on wii. (+1)  
Wait, wait, dude. DROD DROD Revolution!
05-08-2007 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Tombot wrote:
God, its always Wii this and Wii that.

Why must Everyone want everything on the Frigging Wii!

NO.

Well we could put the newest DROD on the Wii. I'm not saying we should always trust the Wii. Maybe DROD KDD on gameboy/psp, DROD JTRH on DS/psp and TCB and the new DROD on Wii.

[Last edited by roach strangler at 05-08-2007 08:51 PM]
05-08-2007 at 08:50 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I don't think the question of whether there's a reason to put DROD in a wii is really important right now. There are two more important questions:

A - Is there anyone who has the knowledge and time to actually port DROD to a wii (my guess - no).

B - Is there any reason not to port DROD to a wii (say, having to pay licensing fees to Nintendo)?

Assuming the answer to A is "yes" and the answer to B is "no", then the question of whether it'd actually be a good idea to do so becomes relevant.

To put it another way: saying "someone should port DROD for a wii" is a waste of time, as is debating it. The correct way to phrase this request is either "I can port DROD to a wii, should I?" or "I am willing to pay to hire someone to port DROD to a wii, should I?"

[Last edited by eytanz at 05-08-2007 08:59 PM]
05-08-2007 at 08:57 PM
roach strangler
Good point. Erik should make a donation button like lots of other forums do to raise the money for the license fee and to make DROD for Wii. Pretty sure people would do it because their probably already waiting for DROD 4 to release.
05-08-2007 at 09:06 PM
roach strangler
Well the people with psp's would be able to get DROD on there psp. We wouldn't really need a DS or gameboy then.
05-08-2007 at 09:07 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
No.

Keep posting,

05-08-2007 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
roach strangler wrote:
Good point. Erik should make a donation button like lots of other forums do to raise the money for the license fee and to make DROD for Wii.
I agree wholeheartedly. Although I don't think a donation button is necessary. Because, at the moment, you are the only one willing to donate.

Roach strangler, if you are really serious, then just donate $100000 (US dollars) for the licence in advance. And agree on buying the first 10000 copies for $49.95 a piece within 3 weeks.

Note that I think roach strangler is very serious, so just send me the money. Just email me with the details and we will arrange something.

PS. I am not part of Caravel, so you still need to pay Caravel seperately for a licence.

[Last edited by Tim at 05-08-2007 10:45 PM : spelling]
05-08-2007 at 10:43 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
consoles only want games that will sell a lot. so they price their dev kits through the roof.

drod sales do not warrant the expense of console ports.

05-08-2007 at 11:38 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I've considered how likely it would be to get DROD as an Xbox Live Arcade release, so I've thought about this.

There are significant hurdles to a Wii version:

* Nintendo are currently not giving development kits to indy developers.
* There is as of yet no digital distribution path for new games for the Wii. Publishers won't touch DROD.

There are also problems with a console version in general:
* Who will develop it? Console programming is a tricky beast, and much of the DROD codebase may have to be scrapped.
* While the interface on the surface seems suitable for porting, DROD is designed for discrete movements, which are hard to implement well on analog systems. For instance, with a joystick, how do you move one square without breaking the ability to move many? Where is the line between 'orthogonal' and 'diagonal' on a joystick? If you use the D-pad, how do you do diagonals easily? (The DS suggests an easy, copout solution, in putting buttons on the touchscreen.)
* Can the console handle the requisite resolution for the current DROD engine? (Remember that DROD runs natively at a higher resolution than one normally sees on televisions, which means the art will also have to be redone.)
* Where do you start the story? What elements need to be introduced?
* Is there an audience on consoles for contemplative puzzle games like DROD that aren't already on PCs? (This is the big one; 'is it worth it?')

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 05-10-2007 04:40 PM]
05-10-2007 at 04:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Mattcrampy wrote:
(The DS suggests an easy, copout solution, in putting buttons on the touchscreen.)
Heh... Tahnan's DROD DROD Revolution comes to mind...

Talk about giving Beethro a workout... :D

np: Jeff Miligan - Convenience Store (Stadtmusik (Disc 2))

05-10-2007 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tombot
It would work well on a PSP for its own reasons and possibly the DS but thats about it. :?

05-11-2007 at 08:36 AM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Nonsense :). All you need is one stick (analog or digital doesn't really matter, though this probably makes more sense for an analog one) and a couple buttons. Point the direction you want to move with the stick, then push one of the buttons to make a move in that direction. If the stick is centered, pushing the move button will do a waiting move in stead. Two other buttons turn the sword, another one switch clones (or if buttons are scarce, point stick + push other button could be used for turning/switching/etc). Repeat could be added to the buttons as necessary, similar to how keyboard repeat works.

[Last edited by trick at 05-12-2007 03:14 AM]
05-12-2007 at 02:46 AM
Tombot
I mean for realistic sales purposes.

05-12-2007 at 11:49 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
trick wrote:
Nonsense :). All you need is one stick (analog or digital doesn't really matter, though this probably makes more sense for an analog one) and a couple buttons. Point the direction you want to move with the stick, then push one of the buttons to make a move in that direction. If the stick is centered, pushing the move button will do a waiting move in stead. Two other buttons turn the sword, another one switch clones (or if buttons are scarce, point stick + push other button could be used for turning/switching/etc). Repeat could be added to the buttons as necessary, similar to how keyboard repeat works.

Seems a bit unwieldy to have to press two buttons to make a move.

(I can see, for a Wii version, having a variation on mouse controls - you point at the square you want to move to, and the game comes up with a path it would take. You could preserve one press = one move, and counteract one's hands wobbling, by having players press a button to take one step along that path, but that'd probably be accused of being unwieldy as well.)

There's still the chief problem that DROD is rather moulded to fit the PC (as it existed back in 1995) and thus it's hard to come up with an elegant interface without changing some of the rules of the game.

05-16-2007 at 04:16 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I'll say it. I'd play a game done in the DRODer! style on the Wii. Sure, it'd be far, far, far from the same, but it would be much more adaptable to the controls. It might be interesting to see DROD-like puzzles created sans-grid.

05-16-2007 at 05:00 AM
roach strangler
Right now I play DROD on a ps3 controler. I've gotten used to it.
05-16-2007 at 01:31 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Drod was a PC game. Drod is a PC game. Drod will be a PC game.

I don't see a point why there should be a console Drod. It would just be Drod with worse grafics, worse playing controls, worse editor controls, less options.....
05-16-2007 at 03:50 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: DROD on wii. (+2)  
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Drod was a MAC and PC game. Drod is a MAC and PC game. Drod will be a MAC and PC game.

I don't see a point why there should be a console Drod. It would just be Drod with worse grafics, worse playing controls, worse editor controls, less options.....

Fixed.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Jason at 05-16-2007 05:36 PM]
05-16-2007 at 05:33 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Linux is an OS for the PC.
05-16-2007 at 06:26 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Jason wrote:
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Drod was a MAC and PC game. Drod is a MAC and PC game. Drod will be a MAC and PC game.

Fixed.

Click here to view the secret text

But the Penguin likes it a lot.
05-16-2007 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Dex Stewart wrote:
Linux is an OS for the PC.
Also, Macs are just yet another kind of PC nowadays.

They can run Windows, after all... :D

np: Hug - Ask For It (Heroes)

05-16-2007 at 07:10 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
And Linux.
05-16-2007 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : DROD on wii.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com