Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DRODer! (Super fun smiting action)
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged

File: DRODer!.rar (622.6 KB)
Downloaded 1449 times.
License: Public Domain
icon DRODer! (+7)  
DRODer! v3.2, RAR archive attached.

v3.2 February 2007
-After you've met each different enemy, all types of enemies begin spawning again
-Fixed bug with diagonal movement that caused direction to be changed when pressing End
-1 new powerup
-2 new rooms

v3.1 February 2007
-You can now move diagonally with Home, Page Up, End and Page Down
-The sword position refreshes faster in Classic
-Short and long highscore names should now write over each other properly
-Smaller name entry box discourages names that are too long to fit on the highscore
-Enemies don't spawn on top of each other as often
-The first attack on the regen roach now keeps your combo going (but still gives no points)
-Pressing Escape gets you out of practice mode quickly
-Not very red counters in Duel mode
-The requirements for unlocking a feature are shown all the time, regardless of mode
-New statistic: Rooms cleared, Composite score

v3.0 February 2007
-No longer uses INIs to save data; instead, a save file in the game directory is used
-Separate high scores for Modern, Classic and the different handicaps
-Tracks some stuff and displays it on a statistics screen
-In Modern, handicap modes get a smaller bonus to the combo meter
-Fixed a bug that unlocked the final special at the wrong time
-Hover-over info on unlockables
-Results screen is now gradient-free
-Added powerup on help screen
-1 new powerup
-1 new enemy
-1 new room

v2.4 January 2007
-Eliminated the superfluous options menu and moved all its contents to the toolbar.
-Main menu features start up a bit faster (barely noticable on most computers).
-2 new rooms.

v2.3 December 2006
-All specials now need to be unlocked
-Fixed a bug that spawned more enemies if you were playing slowly
-Some enemies spawned start with a more predictable direction
-Mothingness throws flames at fixed intervals
-Renamed the classic "Levels" mode to "Waves"
-Info about unlockables in the help section.

v2.2 December 2006
-New unlockables system
-New feature - to unlock, beat level 10
-Some changes were made to gameplay in Modern - quicker sword movement etc.
-The enemies now rotate so only three different enemies will be spawned on a given level
-A line is shown on the high score screen about what got you killed
-Mothingness flames destroyed when you descend.
-Mothingness stops throwing flames when all monsters have been defeated
-Removed a pair of debugging keys
-Changed some ranks
-Expanded help screen a bit
-Changed icons.

v2.1 October 2006
-Changed score multiplier for Modern, it now increases with level
-Slightly rebalanced difficulty
-Two new enemies
-One new powerup
-Four new rooms
-Flaming Pits of Mothingness.

v2.0 October 2006
-Started using version numbers
-Completely reworked the environment, now looks a lot more like a dungeon
-Divided into two main modes: Modern and Classic
-Levels system with extra life point after every level
-Three enemies
-Four powerups
-Six rooms
-New help screen
-Keyboard shortcuts on title screen.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”

[Last edited by Nillo at 02-26-2007 02:05 PM : New version]
02-12-2004 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: DRODer! (0)  
It fails to start because I don't have CNCS32.dll

02-12-2004 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo

File: Cncs32.dll (168 KB)
Downloaded 603 times.
License: Other
Oops, forgot that. Put this dll in your Windows directory.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-12-2004 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
More people have zip than rar, could you recompress it in a zip file for greater portability?

Note: The reason I ask this is the computer I'm on doesn't have rar, only zip :)

[Edited by DiMono on 02-12-2004 at 08:41 PM GMT]

02-12-2004 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo

File: DRODer!.zip (869.8 KB)
Downloaded 82 times.
License: Public Domain
DRODer! v3.2, ZIP format attached.

[Last edited by Nillo at 02-26-2007 02:07 PM : New version]
02-12-2004 at 08:49 PM
DiMono
Alright, so I've played the game. For what it is, it's entertaining enough, but I have a few suggestions for you:

After you die, you should be able to restart with a single keystroke, or a prompt, or something

You shouldn't be able to leave the screen area, as it renders you impervious except to enemies who spawn where you are

I'd like to be able to move diagonally

Oh, and since this is a free motion game, feel free to borrow from the GeneralTiles.bmp file I have in the Beethro in Space thread if you'd like.

02-12-2004 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Replaced download with new, better version.
And DiMono, are you sure you can't walk diagonally? I can.

02-12-2004 at 09:15 PM
DiMono
If you can walk diagonally, it's not by using the 1, 3, 7, 9 keys on the keypad, which is what I'd expect.

02-12-2004 at 10:25 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Good fun! Very hectic!

I was able to move diagonally just by pressing two arrow keys at the same time.

02-12-2004 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
icon Re: DRODer! (+1)  
This is..... AWESOME!

IMO In a few graphical updates, control modifications, and possibly upon adding walls or somesuch to it, this could become near-commercial. And I'm talking commercial along the lines of Quake 3, not, say, "Frasier 3d".

Like I said, this game is wonderful.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-12-2004 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
This game is really good!

Tell me - are there any "monsters" beside the red triangles, or have I just not gotten that far yet?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-13-2004 at 12:05 AM
joker5
I dunno, Hawk, what's your high score?

I've been practicing and I managed to hit 200. Nothing there.

~joker5

02-13-2004 at 12:16 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: DRODer! (+1)  
My god, every time I start playing this, I can't stop. I keep imagining what kind of additions you could make to this and how unbelievable it would be.

I don't know what your vision is, but I imagine this game becoming Tetris-like in its progression. I imagine it starting with a just a couple of arrows (they represent roaches, right?) slowly bouncing around after you. As you increase your level by reaching a certain amount of points, the spawn rate, the maximum number, or the speed of roaches would increase.

You could implement a combo system, where the score for killing the nth roach in a string would be x+n, where x is the level number. I can just imagine the sound effects that could be shooting out at me. After all, a game that doesn't yell "combo" at you is no game at all. Said half-sarcastically.

You could implement a system where you have multiple hits (losing after one is such a bummer!) and perhaps earn them back by killing a long enough string of roaches. That would stretch the game out some and make high scores higher.

And other creatures! Oh man, I won't even start.

This game is so cool and has so much potential that I want to cry. I am a DRODer groupie.

02-13-2004 at 09:13 AM
DiMono
RoboBob3000 wrote:
After all, a game that doesn't yell "combo" at you is no game at all. Said half-sarcastically.
Watch it, or I'll make that one of my Beethro in Space sounds ;)

Beethro walks along, kills a Robot, "COMBO!"

02-13-2004 at 02:31 PM
Nillo
Replaced download with new, better version.
*Combo score!
*More options!
*Increasing difficulty!

02-13-2004 at 03:07 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
This is a great game!

A suggestion:

At least have 3 lives or 5 hitpoints or something.
And how long do you have to play to actually beat the game?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-13-2004 at 03:16 PM
Nillo
New version features:
-"Survival" and Levels" modes!
-Saved highscores!

02-13-2004 at 09:21 PM
Nillo
Slight update with hitpoint system.
And no, you can't "beat" the game.
You can get an insanely high score and call yourself a winner if you want to. :D

02-13-2004 at 10:11 PM
Nillo
Last update for today!
-Updated help screen
-Minor changes to several modes

02-13-2004 at 10:51 PM
joker5
Wow! This is a whole lot cooler. Keep up the awesome work!

~joker5

02-13-2004 at 11:18 PM
joker5
Yay. I now proudly belong to Club 1000.

Just out of curiosity, would you like to make a logo, and a better menu? I could make some of the graphics...

~joker5

02-13-2004 at 11:28 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I love this game! Able to kill hours of my time, and it keeps improving!

I really like the addition, or at least the notification, of being able to get back to the main screen.

I think it would be beneficial to have an option-changer aside from the button from the main screen as well. Perhaps an additional tab, or something.

But it looks and plays great!

Except that made me think of one thing...it kind of lags on my computer when the music shuffles back to the beginning, and when it starts up. I have no idea how to combat this, but I figured I should say it.

02-14-2004 at 05:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I noticed that in practice mode when you kill and arrow it explodes into bits but in normal play if just vanishes.
02-14-2004 at 06:30 AM
Nillo
New version features:
-2 new songs, Quiz and Title
-"Test Song" button in Options screen
-Splat bug fix (thanks Scott)

02-14-2004 at 07:30 AM
Nillo
I got 2325! :cool

02-14-2004 at 10:04 AM
sims5000
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 117
I can't open the game it says:

Error while opening file

02-14-2004 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
There's a .dll up there somewhere that needs to go in your %WinDir% directory

02-14-2004 at 05:15 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Hey, Nillo!

It sounds like you have some copyrighted music in your game. I could be mistaken, but ctbattle sounds like music from Chrono Trigger. Maybe you just intended the music as placeholders, but we should get this fixed pretty quick. It shouldn't be hard to get some legally clear music into your game. What music formats can you play? I have some original s3ms that you could use if you like them.

-Erik

02-14-2004 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
ErikH2000 wrote:
I have some original s3ms that you could use if you like them.
As do I, just let us know.

02-14-2004 at 07:59 PM
Nillo
Well, you're free to give me replacement music, but it has to be in .mid format. I'll remove them for now.

[Edited by Nillo at Local Time:11-23-2004 at 07:42 PM]

02-14-2004 at 09:18 PM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DRODer! (Super fun smiting action)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com