Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Elemental Showcase (Our Contest for May)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Elemental Showcase (+2)  
With the release of TCB and all it’s awesomeness, there’s no reason why I would want to keep you away from it. Thus, what better contest to run than an Architecture competition? Granted, it doesn’t rank high on the originality scale, and whether or not I’m beating a dead horse is up for debate, but hey! It’s the fun that counts.

Aim
Prove the usefulness and puzzle potential of one element introduced in DROD: The City Beneath, with the exclusion of scripting. This does not mean that you shouldn't have scripting in your hold, but rather your element cannot be a scripting command, with the notable exception of builders.

Rules
*Design a hold, having a minimum of 4 puzzle rooms, and a maximum of 9 puzzle rooms. You may have infinite non-puzzle rooms.

*The element must be made clear in the ending text, like thus: ‘My hold showcased ...’ Insert a reasoning if you so wish.

*I repeat, scripting is allowed to be used in your hold. However, it is not an element.

*The showcasing of the element can be as specific as making a hold with the sole focus of when a roach moves before an adder, or as general as focusing on all the facets of briar.

*A puzzle room is a room where the player has to overcome a challenge in order to progress in the hold or finish the hold. Several rooms which are all part of the same puzzle will be counted individually.

*Elements that come hand in hand, like Gel Mothers, Gel and Gel babies, are all considered separate elements. Same applies for the 3 different types of Pressure plates. Again, builders are an exception to this rule, and all of the components that make a builder should be considered one element.

*3 entries per person maximum, 1 entry minimum.

*Your entry must be compatible with DROD 3.0.0 or DROD 3.0.1. If you're using 3.0.2 r2, you can use this utility to make it compatible with DROD 3.0.0.

*All the entries must be submitted into the Submission topic. A submission is a special kind of topic, where only I can see all the entries, and you can only see your own posts.

*This contest will close Local Time:06-02-2007 at 05:00 PM, meaning you have negative 880 weeks, 5 days left.

*Voters will be instructed to vote on how effectively the entrant showcases that one element, and the quality of the hold, as well as how well a entry stayed within the rules.

Tips
*Don’t pick an element because you think it’s popular. Succeeding to pull off a excellent Briar hold will achieve much more critical acclaim than an excellent platform hold.

*Avoid tedious and excessively difficult rooms. The voters don’t have a week to play through your hold, and thus are more likely to give up, give it a lower score and skip to the next hold.

*If your new to hold building, you can find some excellent tips (if a little outdated) on the Architecture Board or on the official DROD site.

There is also a very solid description of all the new elements in The City Beneath here.

*If you have privacy concerns, you can create a new player with a name which does not link to you or your forum account. If you change your mind, you can always switch it to a different player, and remove the (originally by ... ) out of the Hold Description.

Prizes
First place shall receive 100 rank points, and 1 item from the prize pile.
Second place shall receive 50 rank points, and the knowledge that they almost came first.
Third place shall receive 25 rank points, and the satisfaction of coming third.
Anyone who has not tried a contest before gets 10 rank points, no questions asked.
All contestants will receive the thrill of messing about in the editor, as well as participating in this contest.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 12:56 AM]
05-01-2007 at 05:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:

*This contest will be open until the Local Time:05-21-2007 at 05:00 AM. Thus, you have negative 809 weeks until entries close.

Errrrm.. not exactly?

05-01-2007 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (0)  
Beef Row wrote:
NiroZ wrote:

*This contest will be open until the Local Time:05-21-2007 at 05:00 AM. Thus, you have negative 809 weeks until entries close.

Errrrm.. not exactly?
But everyone knows that it's 76 weeks till the 21st of may!
(fixed)
05-01-2007 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
NiroZ wrote:
*3 entries per person maximum, 1 entry minimum.
Is the minimum really necessary...? :)

05-01-2007 at 07:32 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I have only played the demo, will I be able to build a hold for this contest with only that under my belt?...she mumbles to herself as she sharpens her sword....

05-01-2007 at 08:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
techant wrote:
I have only played the demo, will I be able to build a hold for this contest with only that under my belt?...she mumbles to herself as she sharpens her sword....

Well the demo definitely showcases some of the new elements, and you can always play around in the editor or try something from architecture to check out the others. So the hardest part, I think, would be knowing what is new and unique and what was already heavily showcased.

(In case it wasn't clear, this was a yes you should be able to)

[Last edited by Beef Row at 05-01-2007 08:33 AM]
05-01-2007 at 08:32 AM
NiroZ
techant wrote:
Well a few of the elements are a bit hard to understand by simply playing around in the editor, but other than that, you should be fine :)
05-01-2007 at 08:37 AM
Beef Row
NiroZ wrote:
Aim
Prove the usefulness and puzzle potential of one element introduced in DROD: The City Beneath, with the exclusion of scripting. This does not mean that you shouldn't have scripting in your hold, but rather your element cannot be a scripting command, with the notable exception of builders.

Are player roles also an acceptable choice, even though they are technically a scripting command?

05-01-2007 at 08:37 AM
NiroZ
Beef Row wrote:
Are player roles also an acceptable choice, even though they are technically a scripting command?
You can have a different player role to beethro if you want, but it can't be the element you focus on.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-01-2007 08:55 AM]
05-01-2007 at 08:54 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
I think he wants to know wether player roles are considered a new game element.
05-01-2007 at 10:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
and why not allow "player role" to be a featured game element for this contest?

there's all kinds of puzzle potential in the fact that playing a player role leaves you usually swordless (unless the role is beethro in disguise), and has the monsters leave you alone until you do the thing.

05-01-2007 at 11:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
silver wrote:

there's all kinds of puzzle potential in the fact that playing a player role leaves you usually swordless (unless the role is beethro in disguise), and has the monsters leave you alone until you do the thing.

I second that.

And I have a question myself: must we really showcase both usefulness *and* puzzle potential, or is one of both enough?

Yet another question: May we at least use the "turn into monster" scripting command?

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 05-01-2007 12:35 PM]
05-01-2007 at 12:29 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Dex Stewart wrote:
Yet another question: May we at least use the "turn into monster" scripting command?

I suspect so, since he said you could use scripting, but that a new scripting command couldn't the focus/highlight of your hold.

05-01-2007 at 12:38 PM
NiroZ
Dex Stewart wrote:
And I have a question myself: must we really showcase both usefulness *and* puzzle potential, or is one of both enough?
To me at least, usefulness and puzzle potential are two different facets of the same thing. To put it succinctly, usefulness is the means to the end that is puzzle potential. My advice would be to just focus on creating good puzzles around a particular element, because if you do that successfully, you have displayed both the usefulness and the puzzle potential of the element.

Dex Stewart wrote:Yet another question: May we at least use the "turn into monster" scripting command?
For the books, scripting is allowed to be used in your hold. However, it is not what I am classifying as an element.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-01-2007 01:23 PM]
05-01-2007 at 01:22 PM
NiroZ
silver wrote:

The reason why I don't want to allow player roles as a element (and believe me, I considered it), is because it can be used as an easy escape to create puzzles not restricted by an element. I mean, potions are the only difference between stalwarts and Beethro.

While it is cool to have something that you can kill with your body, and to be able to transverse otherwise impossible areas, but I'd rather keep it simple and ban player roles from being considered element's in this contest altogether, as it's very closely linked to scripting. It just keeps the contest simple, and simple is good.
05-01-2007 at 02:09 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
NiroZ wrote:
silver wrote:

The reason why I don't want to allow player roles as a element (and believe me, I considered it), is because it can be used as an easy escape to create puzzles not restricted by an element. I mean, potions are the only difference between stalwarts and Beethro.

So? Wouldn't this be the sort of thing that, if someone attempted, would just get a low score?

I think it's worthwhile to give people the opportunity to show how to make any element interesting - I don't think the fact that you *could* make puzzles that miss the point of the contest with an element should prevent people demonstrating how the new element can be used in a cool fashion.

Still, it's your contest.

[Last edited by eytanz at 05-01-2007 02:20 PM]
05-01-2007 at 02:18 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
So builders are definitely a new element, and we're perhaps very much in need of a hold showing how well they can be used (since many people seemed to feel that they weren't a great new element). But builders inherently require scripting--so, are they allowed?

There're a lot of powerful new commands in the scripting--variables, to say the least--and I totally agree that showcasing these shouldn't be the point of the contest. But it'd be a shame, in my opinion, not to include builders and player roles.
05-01-2007 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Builders are specifically mentioned as allowed in the contest posting.

[Last edited by eytanz at 05-01-2007 06:52 PM]
05-01-2007 at 06:52 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
...yeah, I knew that. Er. Well, anyway.
05-01-2007 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
eytanz wrote:
Builders are specifically mentioned as allowed in the contest posting.

Tahnan wrote:
...yeah, I knew that. Er. Well, anyway.

Oooo! Bitter rivalry!!

Rumor confirmed!

05-01-2007 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Builders...hum...something yet to discover...what are they talking about?...she wonders. She says loudly to no one in particular, "I sure am glad they are not required for this contest, cuz I have no idea what they are talking about." Off she walks with her sword and building tools....mumbling to herself...builders?...surrendering your sword, who would?..."player role"/.................

05-01-2007 at 11:02 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Do you mean the ending text or the entrance text for 'I have chosen to showcase...'?
05-02-2007 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
Count me in it contest!

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
05-03-2007 at 06:19 AM
NiroZ
coppro wrote:
Do you mean the ending text or the entrance text for 'I have chosen to showcase...'?
Yeah, it's intentionally the ending text so that people don't look for the amount an element is displayed, but which element it is.
05-03-2007 at 08:26 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I might give it a try.
But is it ok if a scripted character says what our choice was?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-03-2007 at 12:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I might give it a try.

There's nothing in the rules against this.... (at least I think so)
05-03-2007 at 12:49 PM
NiroZ
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I might give it a try.
Well considering that I have no rules preventing it, and nobody should be voting you lower for doing so, go for it. Just don't expect every person who plays your hold to read that text.
05-03-2007 at 12:52 PM
Neather2
Hi.

I have some question about that contest:

1) If i have understoont good, we must design a hold based on the new elements of Drod: The city beneath? We can have minimum 4 puzzle room and maximus 9. Right? We can allow Scripting but this is not new element.

2) We must have a story, a introduction?

3 Another rules, of i don't have say for now? Help?

Bye, Neather2.

Thanks. :)

05-05-2007 at 12:39 PM
NiroZ
Neather2 wrote:
Hi.

I have some question about that contest:

1) If i have understoont good, we must design a hold based on the new elements of Drod: The city beneath? We can have minimum 4 puzzle room and maximus 9. Right? We can allow Scripting but this is not new element.
You have it perfectly. :)
2) We must have a story, a introduction?
No. You can if you want to, however.

3 Another rules, of i don't have say for now? Help?
In your hold ending, you should have "My hold showcased (element name)"

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-05-2007 01:54 PM]
05-05-2007 at 01:29 PM
Neather2
Thanks, NiroZ! Entry In work.

05-05-2007 at 01:33 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Elemental Showcase (Our Contest for May)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com