Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
<<5678
Page 9 of 11
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon 3.1.0.49 patch is up (0)  
Patch is up now.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-20-2007 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+4)  
Huh. Finally duplicated that bug that jbluestein brought up here. (I couldn't duplicate it previously since although the setup was adequately explained, the actual sequence of events relied on a demo to a hold I didn't have).

Definitely not fixed in latest build, and not surprising: the actual requirements to duplicate it are rather nasty. To trigger it, you have to remove a piece of edge briar that is connecting two groups of briar. This is difficult, because most of the time, a true edge simply won't be connected in that manner (immature briar created via pits doesn't count in this case, since they're not true edges).

However, this is the way it was likely happening in the demo: you have to trigger a recalc first by cutting some piece of connected briar anywhere in the room (must be mature, unless it's a piece of briar next to a pit that has become immature again). This recalculates all the briar as normal, sorting the briar into normal components and edges.

But until next growth, we have some possible problems on our hands. It's now easily possible for two groups of briar to only be connected by some immature briar. That piece of briar could be a true edge, or it could be an edge that used to be mature briar. In either case, it doesn't matter: the recalc changed it into a pure edge, and thus doesn't have an entry in the briarComponents list. However, it was still a piece of briar that allowed GetConnectedTiles to add the briar on the other side to the main group.

If we remove this edge, it won't force a recalc (because it's an edge and doesn't have a component entry, so we assumed this was safe). So even though the groups are no longer connected, without a recalc we have no way of splitting the two briar groups up.

Anyways.

Two things need to be done, it would seem.

1) Deleting edge tiles must force a recalc. This is pretty easy to fix: just set this->bRecalc to true in the plotted subroutine when an edge is cut. We do this because it's more than possible to get us into a situation where a true edge is the only thing that's connecting two groups of briar, even if we preserved briarComponents entries.

2) Even with the above fix, it's probably still a good idea to keep entries that should've been in briarComponents before, so long as they're still connected. To do this, I've been trying these lines:

Code Snippet 1
      CCoordIndex_T<USHORT> oldBriarIndices;
      std::vector<CCoordSet> oldBriarComponents;
      oldBriarIndices    = this->briarIndices;
      oldBriarComponents = this->briarComponents;

Code Snippet 2
         //This is the current state of this briar root's connected component.
         this->briarEdge.push_back(edges);

//Before we subtract edges from briarComponent, we need to remove
         //all previous components from the coord set.
         edges -= oldBriarComponents[oldIndex-1];
         briarComponent -= edges;

this->briarComponents.push_back(briarComponent);

This way, the edges coord set has any valid Components removed from it before we subtract it from the new briarComponent, so we should end up with the correct set of tiles in the end.

===

Again, after installing both of these fixes into Build 48's source code, I'm not seeing any demo breakage in my myriad of briar rooms or Under the Library, and the few quick briar test rooms I created to attempt to recreate the bug under fixed conditions now seem to be working fine, so looks like the fix works on my end. (I realise that 15 minutes of quick demo browsing and room rechecking is not hardcore testing of this fix, but it's passing the first round of testing, so that's enough to at least submit the patch for further scrutiny)

Hope that helps.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 09-20-2007 06:28 AM]
09-20-2007 at 06:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+3)  
While I'm looking, just a small demo description oddity.

If the room you complete has a Conquer Token that you use, but did not have any monsters in it, then there will be a couple of spaces inserted into the description before it actually "begins". In an example case, it might say: " The player touched a Conquer token on turn 114. Then he leaves."

This occurs because for that exact occurrence (wMonstersSlain is equal to 0 during the GetNarrationText_English subroutine in DbDemos.cpp), there's no text for conquering, but it'll still go through that part of the subroutine because of the Conquer Token, and thus add two extra unneeded spaces.

Also, if you record a demo but don't leave a room after touching a Conquer Token, it won't record when the Conquer Token was stepped on in the demo. In the case of a room that has no monsters whatsoever, this leads to a blank demo description.

Not sure exactly how you'll want to fix this: it may be that the Conquer Token message shouldn't be dependent on leaving the room, and that a new message for no Monsters Slain (at least by the player or his allies) is created. Or just making if (wMonstersSlain) as a requirement for those first two spaces in the relevant check.

If you need more information on this, feel free to ask.
09-20-2007 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (0)  
I think I've fixed the above issues by:
* applying TFMurphy's proposed briar code changes
* Not printing out those two spaces unless there are monsters killed in the demo description
* Making display of the conquer token text not require leaving the room

I've posted build 50 to first post.

09-20-2007 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+2)  
Oops. Briar fix introduces a new bug - destroying a briar root by whatever means causes problems (crash to desktop, to be exact), since there won't be an oldIndex to collect for the tile it was on. Missed that.

This can be fixed by adding if (oldIndex) as a requirement to doing the edges -= oldBriarComponents[oldIndex-1] subtraction. I suppose we could look in to destroying the briar object instead if we're recalcing and it no longer has a root as an alternative. EDIT: Yeah, if oldIndex doesn't exist, we'll be throwing out over half what we're doing in the recalc, so it'd be quicker to either delete the briar object or at least just feed it empty sets. Maybe the plotted subroutine could call removeSource if a root is involved? Huhm... actually, removeSource is only used at one stage: when explosion removes a root. No other method of destroying a briar root calls it. Interesting, and could be looked at in greater detail... but this is more behind the scenes code tidying than bug fixing, so maybe it could be left until after 3.1... I'll have a quick look into it.

With regards to the demo message, it looks like this was introduced as a change between 3.0.0 and Build 49, probably in regards to some other bug. Before then, conquering a room via Conquer Tokens without monsters would just give the generic "The player was just passing through" or "He came. He saw. He didn't do much of anything" depending on whether the room was left or not. This also occurred if any monsters appeared during the room (if the room started without any monsters), which I assume is the reason this got changed in the first place. Current change seems fine though.

Anyways, sorry for the trouble - not many room demos focus on destroying briar roots, so I didn't find it in time.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 09-20-2007 05:33 PM]
09-20-2007 at 04:44 PM
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
Oops. Briar fix introduces a new bug - destroying a briar root by whatever means causes problems (crash to desktop, to be exact), since there won't be an oldIndex to collect for the tile it was on. Missed that.
No problem. Thanks for catching it right away. That's very helpful! I'll apply this fix and make build 51 when I get home from work tonight.

09-20-2007 at 05:12 PM
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
Mike, do you do the Linux patches, or does Gerry? I'm currently on Linux and would prefer to use the latest version for beta testing TCB. Otherwise, I'm still stuck on 48.

09-20-2007 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
aztcg7 wrote:
Mike, do you do the Linux patches, or does Gerry? I'm currently on Linux and would prefer to use the latest version for beta testing TCB. Otherwise, I'm still stuck on 48.
Yup, Gerry does Linux patches.

09-20-2007 at 06:34 PM
TFMurphy

File: DROD Root Removal.patch (3.7 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+3)  
Okay, tweaked briar code a little bit to try and remove roots properly in the plotted subroutine. I think the attached diff patch does the job. It's a Build 48 diff patch, so it also includes the other briar changes I talked about when first looking at this bug.

At least one of the changes is theoretical (a root being replaced with plotted non-root briar) since I can't think of an ingame situation where it would occur, but thought I'd try and catch it as best I can. I've also added an Assert for oldIndex - if we're trying to recalc a root for which oldIndex doesn't exist, then we clearly didn't remove the root properly.

This is all behind the scenes work, and shouldn't affect anything that the player should see, so we don't *need* to get this patch in all that quickly (I know we're running against at least one deadline here). If you think we can test it adequately before then, then let's add it: otherwise, feel free to nix it if it proves too troublesome, since we can always go with the simpler fix I noted in my last post for now. Also, I haven't removed the removeSource call in DbRooms.cpp under ProcessExplosionSquare in this patch - that can be done seperately and easily, since these changes to plotted should do it properly under all situations where the briar root is removed or replaced.

Anyways, testing for this patch so far has included checking to see if any Assertions appeared in the places where CTDs were occurring - they didn't. Also rechecked Under the Library demos and my briar rooms - things seem okay there. But as I said: this patch is only to tidy things up behind the scenes, so if the simpler fix is enough for our deadline, then go with that for now. In the meantime, I'm returning to Build 50 to search for any further issues.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 09-20-2007 06:53 PM]
09-20-2007 at 06:35 PM
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
This is all behind the scenes work, and shouldn't affect anything that the player should see, so we don't *need* to get this patch in all that quickly (I know we're running against at least one deadline here). If you think we can test it adequately before then, then let's add it: otherwise, feel free to nix it if it proves too troublesome, since we can always go with the simpler fix I noted in my last post for now.
Thanks! Yeah, let's go with the simple fix for now. I'll need to look this one over later.

Build 51 is posted.

09-21-2007 at 12:09 AM
mrimer
I've posted build 52, which fixes the showstopper bug at the Gate of Namedness: script activation since build 47 doesn't activate depressed pressure plates.

09-21-2007 at 03:29 AM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Yay! Thankies! :thumbsup

09-21-2007 at 03:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Just yesterday, or the day before (can't remember which), I upgraded using the Build 52 patch, but in the corner the title screen says 3.1.0.51. Has this happened to anyone else?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-22-2007 at 04:43 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Clearly mike forgot to update that piece of text. Not a cause for alarm (it isn't done automatically or anything)
09-22-2007 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Sigh! No use :( It doesn't seem as if my TCB gets fixed by just runing the latest patch candidate. Maybe I should uninstall TCB and download it again? What do you guys think?
09-22-2007 at 09:11 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Blondbeard wrote:
Sigh! No use :( It doesn't seem as if my TCB gets fixed by just runing the latest patch candidate. Maybe I should uninstall TCB and download it again? What do you guys think?
I think you should tell us what exactly is wrong with it to begin with... :|

np: Mouse On Mars - Yippie (Bitshifter Version) (Pingipung Blows: The Brass)

09-22-2007 at 09:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Windows beep sounds with startup. When I exit a menue I often get beep sounds as well.

Highscores do not upload at all (but the chat is working), and there's a strange demo bug. New demos aren't recorded, and the only demos I can see are some from TCB. (When playing Troshian Tower: The City 4N1W, The City 4N2W, The City 2N, The City 2N1E, The City 3N1E, The Naming Office: The Entrance and Quest For Knowledge 1N5E). This problem seems to be conected to CaravelNet somehow...

When I update a hold (any hold) the game starts checking demo integrity for TCB rooms. And then the game colapses. This is the error signature:
AppName: drod.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: drod.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000d6739.

Meh! Maybe it's best if I just uninstall the game and install it again?

09-22-2007 at 11:05 AM
Briareos
Blondbeard wrote:
Probably - the above sounds like your DAT-files are majorly funked up... :?

np: Hervé Ak - The Closer (Kompakt Total 8 (Disc 2))

09-22-2007 at 11:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Briareos wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:
Probably - the above sounds like your DAT-files are majorly funked up... :?
Yup. I'd prefer you guys who are telling me "it just doesn't work" help me reproduce and fix the problems, if possible, instead of just reinstalling the game from scratch. You may help me do this by providing me your player.dat file to test upgrading with. You could email it to me if it's too large to post here or you're uncomfortable posting it on the forum.

09-22-2007 at 03:31 PM
Blondbeard
Sure thing. My file was quite small...

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 09-23-2007 09:23 AM]
09-23-2007 at 09:22 AM
mrimer
Blondbeard wrote:
I don't see any holds in your .dat file for upgrading at all. Sorry, I wasn't clear: I need your original 3.0 player.dat file that contains practically everything before upgrading -- not the player.dat after upgrading to 3.1. (You did back up your data before upgrading, right?)

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-23-2007 07:20 PM]
09-23-2007 at 06:15 PM
Blondbeard
mrimer wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:
I don't see any holds in your .dat file for upgrading at all. Sorry, I wasn't clear: I need your original 3.0 player.dat file that contains practically everything before upgrading -- not the player.dat after upgrading to 3.1. (You did back up your data before upgrading, right?)
Ehhh... No :blush The thing is that TCB wasn't working before I upgraded either, so I didn't see any need for doing a backup. And my original 3.0 file is looong gone. This time I updated from one patch to another.
09-23-2007 at 07:34 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
One minor thing, which could help you not get erroneus bug reports: version .52 shows .51 in the top right corner.
09-23-2007 at 07:56 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+1)  
Dex Stewart wrote:
One minor thing, which could help you not get erroneus bug reports: version .52 shows .51 in the top right corner.
Indeed, as pointed out about ten posts above by Noah.

09-23-2007 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Rank Points: 181

File: drodshot1.jpg (148.9 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
Using build 52, it seems there's some text missing on the status page that comes up by hitting enter. There are two unexplained numbers at the top, and mystery checkboxes at the bottom - see the attached screenshot.
09-23-2007 at 10:59 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Remlin wrote:
Using build 52, it seems there's some text missing on the status page that comes up by hitting enter. There are two unexplained numbers at the top, and mystery checkboxes at the bottom - see the attached screenshot.
Hmm. Maybe some existing MessageIDs changed when Mike added the new one about bumping master walls? That could cause problems of the sort since nobody has the modified drod-3_0.dat.
09-23-2007 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
schep wrote:
Hmm. Maybe some existing MessageIDs changed when Mike added the new one about bumping master walls? That could cause problems of the sort since nobody has the modified drod-3_0.dat.
It might - if it weren't for the fact that I'm on the latest patch and still get proper (and, moreover, complete) text labels in that dialog...

np: Kid606 - Wickid Megamix (Who Still Kill Sound?)

09-24-2007 at 12:24 AM
TFMurphy
From my experience, it's an old bug: I saw it when I first tried Build 42, but my memory suggests that it didn't occur immediately and took a while into the session I was in. It was also immediately after the patch (I hadn't closed down DROD)... and it also rectified itself on restart. (This is going off memory and the brief comment I made in this thread about it, so I may not remember all the details completely correctly though)

Haven't been able to reproduce it, but I can't say I've been really trying to: I only ever saw it once, after all. Still, more reports is good - the more details on the circumstances that are causing it, the easier it'll be to pin down what's behind it.
09-24-2007 at 03:05 AM
Remlin
Rank Points: 181
After restarting TCB, that screen is displaying normally for me. I only had the missing text in the first run of TCB after installing the patch (the run in which the data files were upgraded), I guess the same as TFMurphy describes. Within that run I saw it in every hold I tried, which included AE, JtRH and TCB holds, and spanned a couple of hours.
09-24-2007 at 07:10 AM
mrimer
Remlin wrote:
After restarting TCB, that screen is displaying normally for me. I only had the missing text in the first run of TCB after installing the patch (the run in which the data files were upgraded), I guess the same as TFMurphy describes. Within that run I saw it in every hold I tried, which included AE, JtRH and TCB holds, and spanned a couple of hours.
Wow, that's weird. I'm assuming this bug has to do with the 3.0 --> 3.1 data upgrade that runs at startup, but I could be wrong. Does this issue happen after applying the patch even when starting with fresh .dats, or does it require upgrading a 3.0 player.dat? If it's the latter, and if someone has a 3.0.0 player.dat file lying around that can be used to reproduce the bug, then I'd be willing to look into it. Otherwise, I'd say a one-time minor cosmetic error after a 3.0 upgrade isn't serious enough to try to reproduce from scratch on our end.

09-24-2007 at 08:27 PM
<<5678
Page 9 of 11
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com