Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Snake switchers (In parallel with tarstuff switchers)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kevin_P86
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 535
IP: Logged
icon Snake switchers (+1)  
I think the title and description are descriptive enough. But just to be sure: they would be three new tokens that swap serpents / rattlesnakes, serpents / adders and adders / rattlesnakes.

Perhaps not as useful as the current tarstuff switchers, but I think they'd still be useful.

Thoughts?

04-10-2007 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Snake switchers (0)  
Sounds good to me. I've enjoyed the tar/mud/gel switchers a lot so far.

04-10-2007 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Hmm... This goes right in with a color mixing system for tarstuff and serpents. I say it should be implemented.

04-10-2007 at 11:13 PM
stigant
icon Re: Snake switchers (+1)  
oooo, what about, multicolored snakes? Like you could have the head and the first couple of sections could be green, then some red sections followed by some blue segments and tail. You'd have to kill off the green and blue parts first, leaving an all red serpent who would then have to be lured into a trap. If you lured it into the trap without killing the green part, its tail wouldn't shrink and you'd be stuck. etc etc.

And a blue head with a green tail would be invincible. Unless you happened to step on a blue<->green token!

[Last edited by stigant at 04-10-2007 11:32 PM]
04-10-2007 at 11:29 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Hmmm... My color mixing was to allow snakes to be killed in multiple ways. Like a cyan snake could be killed by hitting the head or the tail, and could eat monsters.

04-10-2007 at 11:32 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I'm really having trouble fitting this into canon in my head. Yes, the Empire is good with biology, but I don't think they have nanobots yet, and that's what would be required for changing serpents into different species. Tarstuff is different; it has very similar structure among its variants and it is believable that it could be changed with certain key stimuli.

04-11-2007 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
The empire has quite a bit of technology that it doesn't understand. Perhaps the tokens could do something with the magnetic ley lines in the room which in turn activates or deactivates certain protein receptors in each serpent's cells, thus allowing them to express heretofore unexpressed phenotypes (ie genes).

Whatever.... justification = teh dumb.

04-11-2007 at 11:28 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
stigant wrote:
Whatever, the real justification for inclusion would be "makes good puzzles" (if it does).

fixed :)

04-12-2007 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
How about a token that serpents activate when they're on it? It'd make for some (potentially hard) snake manipulations, but also (be easier to) fit into canon and give the same result.

04-13-2007 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lardarse
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 56
You mean make the snake move over the snake changer, which then just affects that snake?

That's an evil idea... :thumbsup
04-13-2007 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
I have a weird enough idea. How about a token that switches heads of all snakes with their tails ? 1 square monsters already have their decoy potions.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
04-14-2007 at 09:46 AM
Hammerite
Rank Points: 44
b0rsuk wrote:
I have a weird enough idea. How about a token that switches heads of all snakes with their tails ? 1 square monsters already have their decoy potions.

I'm conscious that I'm carrying out thread necromancy here on a thread that's nearly 3 years old, but I think tokens to switch snake types would be a good thing to have. I was struck with the idea independently a few hours ago, and thought I'd come on to suggest it if it hadn't been suggested yet.

I also think this "swap head/tail" idea is really neat. I'd love to see both implemented.
01-26-2010 at 07:28 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
I very much agree. I thought it was a good idea at the time this was first suggested, and I still do.
01-26-2010 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
logicGamesFan
Rank Points: 40
Bumping old topic, but with good reasons. I think snake switchers fit great, but also independently arrived with the general idea of monster switchers. Of course not all combinations would be allowed, since some of them would have very marginal puzzle potential or would be very "uncool". Also there would simply be too many.

Maybe consider this two examples with some possibilities:
Wraithwing / roach
goblin / golem

Generally some guiding, leading puzzles. For example making roaches to wwings, manipulating them over a pressure plate, switch back. Guiding goblins and then changing them to golems to make rock barriers at another location. Or the opposite, killing in goblin state not to leave a blocking rock. Changing wwings over pits to make them fall. The last one wouldn't be too interesting since wwings aren't to menacing right now anyway.

This is just a loose idea with many issues. For one, I don't see that big of a puzzle potential right now, especially since it would probably be hard to build sensible rooms with those elements. I'm guessing at least, not an architect at all. Second, manipulation puzzles would be greatly limited, since tokens would be only in fixed positions. We definitively don't want movable tokens. Also, from perspective of DROD universe, those would be even harder explain than snake switchers.

[Last edited by logicGamesFan at 01-23-2013 08:40 AM]
01-22-2013 at 06:27 PM
JasonRain
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Sounds good to me. I've enjoyed the tar/mud/gel switchers a lot so far.

04-01-2013 at 08:03 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
Hey, welcome to the forum!

:hi

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-01-2013 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Rank Points: 491
Bumping this thread because I think snake switchers could have massive puzzle potential.
06-30-2013 at 07:28 PM
Odyssey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 124
I agree with this idea, too.

07-20-2013 at 07:52 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
While the idea itself is fairly solid, I think the problem with implementing this with a token is that unlike tarstuffs, serpents are very much alike, which would make the token very niche.

Alternative suggestions:
1. "Change monster X to Y" command - would change all monsters of type X to monsters of type Y. Proposed edge case resolution:
1.1. Turning a multi-piece monster (serpents, gentryii, giants) to a single-piece monster (everything else) would replace every piece of the multi-piece monster. So "Change monster Serpent to Roach" would replace a 4-tile long serpent with 4 roaches.
1.2. Turning a single-piece monster to a multi-piece monster would do nothing with the exception of Gentryii.
1.3. Turning a rock giant into any other multi-piece monster would do nothing.
1.4. Turning a serpent into a gentryii would work, but not the other way
2. "Swap monster X with Y" command - would swap monster types.

11-04-2020 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Snake switchers (In parallel with tarstuff switchers)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com