Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Questions about TCB and DROD 3.0
Page 3 of 10
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask Questions about TCB and DROD 3.0 (0)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Is the new tar variant:

-Green?
-name starts with S?
You mean, is it called Sucky?
(BTW, It's confirmed to be green)
04-01-2007 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Ask Questions about TCB and DROD 3.0 (+1)  
Are you going to release the Windows, Linux, OSX, BSD and other versions at the same time?

04-01-2007 at 12:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Tim wrote:
Are you going to release the Windows, Linux, OSX, BSD and other versions at the same time?

Am I right in thinking that that didn't happen for JtRH? - probably won't happen this time either then . . .

maybe . . . .

then again . . . .

:?

04-01-2007 at 12:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
If it starts with an S, it's probably called Slime.

04-01-2007 at 12:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: Ask Questions about TCB and DROD 3.0 (+2)  
Maurog wrote:
If it starts with an S, it's probably called Slime.
That, or Steve.
04-01-2007 at 01:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Or Sean Connery.

04-01-2007 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 864
Elfstone wrote:
Tim wrote:
Am I right in thinking that that didn't happen for JtRH? - probably won't happen this time either then . . .
On April 1, 2005, just the Windows version of JtRH was released. I mean, not released -- oh, forget it. The Linux version was something like a week or two later. The other ports are newer things. But I think this time they're more likely to get everything ready at once.

[Last edited by schep at 04-01-2007 07:21 PM : Fixed year. (Can hardly believe nobody called me on that)]
04-01-2007 at 01:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ok, time to get back to answering questions. Here are ones that were left unanswered:

Are there more monsters/characters with weapons?

Yes.

Importing home-made characters will work with weapons, yes?

Yes.

Speaking of characters, are there more (non-monster) females?

Yes.

Is the new tar variant:
-Green?

Yes.

-name starts with S?

No.

A question: If the Slayer loses the hook and Beethro the sword, the Slayer can kill Beethro with his body?

Yes. Note that the slayer can kill Beethro with his body in 2.0 as well (if the hook is facing the wrong way).

Also, you can toggle swords on custom npcs or normal graphics npcs?

To some extent, yes, but it's not trivial to do so, and only really works well for normal graphics NPCs.

Also, when Beethro is without swords, the hand position will change, right?

I'm not sure what this means.

What does PCMT mean, anyway?

I have no idea. Maybe Oneiromancer remembers.

[Last edited by eytanz at 04-01-2007 02:12 PM]
04-01-2007 at 02:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
I have AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2080 MHz), 512 RAM DDR 400 (Elixir) in one dice, Asus A7N8X mainboard, and an olllld 40 GB hdd. Will I be able to play DROD ?

Does DROD:TCB have:
- HDR
- Bloom
- bumpmapping of any kind?

Are there any burrowing creatures in DROD:TCB?

Is there any new element or set of elements (bomb, fuse) approaching bomb/fuse or Tar in complexity ? I mean, something new.

Is there support for speakers/ambient sound generators for setting room mood ? Like in Quake2 you can place speakers around the map, with defined sound volume, time interval between sounds, random intervals, optional loop ? Ambient sounds help a lot when it comes to building athmosphere.

Are there any new non-Beethro ways in which monsters can die ? Traps, for example ?

Is there a decent chance than a new version of DROD breaks backwards compatibility (rules) to introduce some elements otherwise impossible ? Like fixing movement order, making it more obvious/deterministic ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 04-01-2007 02:17 PM]
04-01-2007 at 02:16 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Okay, fine. I'm going to ask three/four questions per day. That seems a little better. I got my earlier question answered via PM because one of the answerers was curious, so I'll let you know what the question was "Is there a title for DROD 4.0 yet?" and the answer was "Yes."

What would you rate TCB brain/rating wise? Truthfully.

Does TCB have an apparent antagonist that appears frequently, just like the slayer, or will it be a surprise at the end sort of thing like the Neather?

Will Halph play a role in the story in any sort of form? How about the guy from Perfection, I forget his name.
04-01-2007 at 02:37 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
eytanz wrote:
What does PCMT mean, anyway?
I have no idea. Maybe Oneiromancer remembers.
Unfortunately, I don't remember. I think it was an overly-convoluted way of saying something rather simple and I forget what it was now. I don't think I was making it up, but...well, I may be able to search my chat logs. If I find it, I'll get back to you.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-01-2007 at 02:38 PM
Oneiromancer
Tim wrote:
We're sure going to try. Well, except for BSD, Jamie has been absent.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-01-2007 at 02:41 PM
eytanz
b0rsuk wrote:
I have AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2080 MHz), 512 RAM DDR 400 (Elixir) in one dice, Asus A7N8X mainboard, and an olllld 40 GB hdd. Will I be able to play DROD ?

If you can play JtRH, you can play TCB.

- HDR
- Bloom

No.

No.

Is there any new element or set of elements (bomb, fuse) approaching bomb/fuse or Tar in complexity ? I mean, something new.

Um, maybe? I'm not sure how to evaluate this.

Is there support for speakers/ambient sound generators for setting room mood ? Like in Quake2 you can place speakers around the map, with defined sound volume, time interval between sounds, random intervals, optional loop ? Ambient sounds help a lot when it comes to building athmosphere.

No.

Are there any new non-Beethro ways in which monsters can die ? Traps, for example ?

Yes.

Is there a decent chance than a new version of DROD breaks backwards compatibility (rules) to introduce some elements otherwise impossible ? Like fixing movement order, making it more obvious/deterministic ?

3.0 doesn't break backwards compatibility. But it does make more information available to the player (specifically, you can see a monster's place in the movement order by right-clicking on it).

[Last edited by eytanz at 04-01-2007 02:46 PM]
04-01-2007 at 02:46 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Woohoo! We can cast Scan!

Stanley, I'm coming!

04-01-2007 at 02:46 PM
Oneiromancer
Edit: bah, post collision. Well, I'll leave mine up.

b0rsuk wrote:

- HDR
- Bloom
3.0 does have more lighting effects and will have slightly higher system requirements than 2.0 but I'm honestly not sure how much so or if your rig is good enough. Mike or trick may have to answer this one.
No.
Yes, I think we have at least one new element that approaches this level of complexity and innovativeness. And another that increases the complexity of tarstuff as well. ;)
Hmmm...I don't think we have anything more sound-related than we did in 2.0, but I admit I didn't do much with sound in TCB. There are many more visual ways of creating atmosphere, of course.
Yes, two, and one is the new complex element from above. It's probably my favorite new element but it's complex enough that I'm not going to try to explain it just yet. Maybe as the days pass I'll reveal more.
Mike should have already posted in an Architecture forum sticky about anything that will break backwards compatibility. There isn't much, we tried to avoid that. Monster movement order will, for better or for worse, stay the same--it's just too late to do anything about that.

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 04-01-2007 02:50 PM]
04-01-2007 at 02:48 PM
eytanz
Ezlo wrote:

Around 5 brains; I think it's more or less on par with JtRH.

Does TCB have an apparent antagonist that appears frequently, just like the slayer, or will it be a surprise at the end sort of thing like the Neather?

Will Halph play a role in the story in any sort of form? How about the guy from Perfection, I forget his name.

Sorry, not going to spoil the plot.

04-01-2007 at 02:49 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Oneiromancer wrote:
Yes, two, and one is the new complex element from above. It's probably my favorite new element but it's complex enough that I'm not going to try to explain it just yet. Maybe as the days pass I'll reveal more.
Game on,

It's the Flow!! (Not a question unless you want to answer it.)
04-01-2007 at 02:50 PM
vittro
Oneiromancer wrote:
above. It's probably my favorite new element but it's complex enough that I'm not going to try to explain it just yet. Maybe as the days pass I'll reveal more.
Game on,

WHAT? HOW MANY DAYS?

04-01-2007 at 02:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
eytanz wrote:
Ezlo wrote:
Around 5 brains; I think it's more or less on par with JtRH.
If you count that most people playing the TCB hold won't have seen the new elements before, the brain rating might increase a bit. But once people are used to the new elements, these rooms shouldn't be as bad. People that have never played a DROD game before might also find it harder because although we do have some tutorial levels, we do hope that you've played at least JtRH before (both for the learning curve and for the puzzles). But we are trying to get new players with this if possible too.

As for rating, I find TCB to be far superior to JtRH, but then again, I had a much greater hand in TCB's creation so I may be a bit biased. :)

Game on,

04-01-2007 at 02:54 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
eytanz wrote:
I guess that was meant to be "will Beethro's bearing be indicated by something else than the sword when it's sheathed, i.e. the position of his hands or something similar?"...

np: Styrofoam - A New Start (Styrofoam Remix) (The Academic Rise Of Falling Drifters)

04-01-2007 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Ezlo wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
Game on,

It's the Flow!! (Not a question unless you want to answer it.)
Nope.

Game on,

04-01-2007 at 02:56 PM
Oneiromancer
Briareos wrote:
eytanz wrote:
I guess that was meant to be "will Beethro's bearing be indicated by something else than the sword when it's sheathed, i.e. the position of his hands or something similar?"...
Actually, yes, there is a different graphic when Beethro's sword is sheathed.

Game on,

04-01-2007 at 02:57 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Can Beethro hit orbs while his sword is sheathed?
04-01-2007 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rabscuttle wrote:
Can Beethro hit orbs while his sword is sheathed?

No.

At least not normally.

[Last edited by eytanz at 04-01-2007 03:06 PM]
04-01-2007 at 03:04 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
How will beethro pick his sword, then?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-01-2007 at 03:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
There will be a secret level like the Dreamplane?

04-01-2007 at 03:09 PM
eytanz
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
How will beethro pick his sword, then?

I don't understand the question.

04-01-2007 at 03:10 PM
eytanz
vittro wrote:
There will be a secret level like the Dreamplane?

Yes.

04-01-2007 at 03:10 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
if Beethro drops his sword, then how does he get it back?

Also, will there be a new potion?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-01-2007 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
if Beethro drops his sword, then how does he get it back?

Are you asking for how the game element works? Or the story rationale behind it?

Also, will there be a new potion?

Yes. Two, in fact.

04-01-2007 at 03:19 PM
Page 3 of 10
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Questions about TCB and DROD 3.0
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No