Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : We Don't Need No Stinking Preambles. (Our News for February.)
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
IP: Logged
icon Re: We Don't Need No Stinking Preambles. (0)  
I thought I am the only one who uses ssh tunneling (plus proxycap program)...
02-24-2007 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
Blondbeard wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
well, you do get a /month/, as I recall. I'm personally not sure whether to renew my CaravelNet account--if I do, it will be mostly because I like giving Erik money to continue making games, not so much any innate desire to download demos and ask people how I smite for fish in the middle of a hold. (That, and I haven't BEATEN an SS since, well, Smitemastery notwithstanding, I think, like, Halph has a bad day? Yeah. I haf none skilz!)

That said: Seriously, I can see buying CaravelNet just on the grounds that it helps convince these fine people to keep making games.

Sure. I'm sure lots of people buy stuff to support DROD. But it is more probable to reach that point if you're really hooked (have played lot's of user holds, for example, and have had a really smooth experience doing so.) I think handing out a year of CaravelNet with a mayor purchase might be benefical. It's just a guess, but it might be worth to consider now that SMS holds are no longer included in CaravelNet.

A year might be a bit much. Maybe 3 months with a major purchase (KDD 2.0 full (not SMS), JtRH, TCB) and 1 with an SMS. Or some variation thereof...with SMSes weighing in at $15, they seem like they should also factor in.
02-24-2007 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Wow, thanks to all the folks who posted on how to use a proxy with caravelnet, it works really well. Maybe this could be implemented in game, though, so that those with less computer knowledge could do it without asking for advice?

02-25-2007 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: We Don't Need No Stinking Preambles. (+1)  
masonjason wrote:
Wow, thanks to all the folks who posted on how to use a proxy with caravelnet, it works really well. Maybe this could be implemented in game, though, so that those with less computer knowledge could do it without asking for advice?

Please note that I won't be held resposible for any downturn in anyones work rate or exam results as a result of any proxy advice I may have given. ;)

Steve.
02-25-2007 at 10:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Some questions:

* Will the official Journey to Rooted Hold hold be playable from the 3.0 engine (and if so, how will it be imported?)

* Will Foundation, Deep Spaces and Iceworks be present in TCB, or will they be mapped to new styles like the 1.6 to 2.0 changeover?

* Are there graphical changes in TCB that will not apply to JtRH holds (say, if there's been some sort of effects layer added like torchlight or something)? Obviously new obstacles aren't going to be backwards compatible.

02-25-2007 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Mattcrampy wrote:
Some questions:
Matt, I don't want to open the TCB question floodgates quite yet. But you will know all this stuff and more soon.

-Erik

02-25-2007 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: We Don't Need No Stinking Preambles. (+2)  
After much deliberation, I decided I would not renew my CaravelNet in time for the extra free SmSs. Here are my reasons:

1. Erik and Mike and all the others deserve the money, and they already have been more than generous with giving the people who bought CaravelNet this year credits for the missing SmSs and the extra month of CaravelNet to make up for the server crash. If I took this one up I would have free SmSs all the way into the end of 2008! That's just way too much kindness!

2. I'm already getting a free copy of TCB, (through Bunche's Grand Audition win) and I want to pay them some money! :P

3. I don't want them to stop making games because they expend too much time for too little reward.

So, am I being stupid? Overly sentimental about Game Developers? Too nice? Passing up on a great deal? Saving money on my Car Insurance by switching to Geico? Ignoring the Three-Headed Monkey that's right behind me? I must know the answers to these questions!
03-06-2007 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
Well, if there was a donate button somewhere, you could expend your guilt that way. Also, doesn't renewing the membership still cost $12?
03-06-2007 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Ezlo wrote:
After much deliberation, I decided I would not renew my CaravelNet in time for the extra free SmSs. Here are my reasons:

1. Erik and Mike and all the others deserve the money, and they already have been more than generous with giving the people who bought CaravelNet this year credits for the missing SmSs and the extra month of CaravelNet to make up for the server crash. If I took this one up I would have free SmSs all the way into the end of 2008! That's just way too much kindness!

2. I'm already getting a free copy of TCB, (through Bunche's Grand Audition win) and I want to pay them some money! :P

3. I don't want them to stop making games because they expend too much time for too little reward.

So, am I being stupid? Overly sentimental about Game Developers? Too nice? Passing up on a great deal? Saving money on my Car Insurance by switching to Geico? Ignoring the Three-Headed Monkey that's right behind me? I must know the answers to these questions!

I'd watch out for that three-headed monkey, but here's my take on things:

People in various areas of the retail business often give discounts (some very steep) to customers who are willing to commit early to a purchase. They don't do this out of the goodness of their hearts -- they do it because it's a sound business practice. Early commitments allow flexibility and they afford the retailer some security.

This is particularly notable in cases where the product may or may not ever be produced. Several game production companies have instuted a P500 policy for new games -- they offer a steep discount to people who are willing to commit to buying a game, but they won't even start producing the game until they have at least 500 preorders (sometimes more). This way they can afford to do larger print runs and the money from the preorders lowers their risk.

Now, for products that we know are going to be produced in any case, this may matter less. The SMS holds are going to be made whether you commit to receiving them by renewing your CNet subscription early or not.

So I guess what I'm saying is that there's nothing particularly dumb about choosing to pay a larger price. I doubt Caravel would try to discourage this behavior. But I think you may be underestimating the utility of taking Erik up on the early renewal offer.

I renewed early, because I'm a cheap bastard and have a hard time turning down a good deal. That said, I'd happily pay more if necessary.

Josh

03-06-2007 at 12:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
May I just say "well done, Ezlo!" :thumbsup

BDR wrote:
Well, if there was a donate button somewhere . . .

Now there's an idea! Actually my other site (the writing site) has a donate facility (because it is run by two people who are basically doing it for the love of writing and the subscriptions barely cover costs).

I can't think of any reason why we shouldn't have a similar facility here so that those of us who wish to can contribute.

03-06-2007 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I don't know... a simple "donate" button is a bit like begging, and doesn't befit the image of CaravelGames in my opinion. Now, that doesn't mean I'm against supporting Erik in any way we can... how about kicking that merch department up a notch? I'm thinking real-sized (wooden) Really Big Swords (tm), posters with Erik's art, tar baby plushies, etc.

We could even have a contest for designing the best merchandise. Hmm...

03-06-2007 at 06:36 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Maurog wrote:
I don't know... a simple "donate" button is a bit like begging, and doesn't befit the image of CaravelGames in my opinion. Now, that doesn't mean I'm against supporting Erik in any way we can... how about kicking that merch department up a notch? I'm thinking real-sized (wooden) Really Big Swords (tm), posters with Erik's art, tar baby plushies, etc.

We could even have a contest for designing the best merchandise. Hmm...
Personally, I'd love to see Caravel do a bigger merchandising push than the practically non-existant one we have now. The problem with this is that the profit margin is really low. When you buy a game, Caravel generally sees a high percentage of what you paid. When you buy a poster, t-shirt, mug, etc., then we probably only get a dollar or two of that. So I'd say that if you want to donate to Caravel, one idea is to buy a game CD (or download...whatever) and give it to a friend or family member as a gift. Two birds with one stone!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-06-2007 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
mrimer wrote:

Personally, I'd love to see Caravel do a bigger merchandising push than the practically non-existant one we have now. The problem with this is that the profit margin is really low. When you buy a game, Caravel generally sees a high percentage of what you paid. When you buy a poster, t-shirt, mug, etc., then we probably only get a dollar or two of that. So I'd say that if you want to donate to Caravel, one idea is to buy a game CD (or download...whatever) and give it to a friend or family member as a gift. Two birds with one stone!

That's what I did :)
03-06-2007 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
mrimer wrote:

Now that's efficient thinking!

03-06-2007 at 07:05 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I guess I'll just stick to buying games then... release more games!

By the way, if I want to buy DROD for someone who never played it, will the best option be JtRH, or will TCB have some newbie friendly content too? And by newbie friendly I mean "plug and play", not "oh, just download the hold and open it in TCB".

03-06-2007 at 07:12 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I was wondering if there is going to be an Illumination this month.

If there isn't, can I write one? :)

[Last edited by Tim at 03-17-2007 01:40 PM]
03-17-2007 at 01:40 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
>.>

<.<

So, um... I don't see this question asked, so I may as well...

Is there an option to trade X number of download credits for TCB upon its release?

Also, as I just extended my membership and don't see the download credits added, I should also ask, will those be appearing at the end of the month when the changeover to the new version of CaravelNet comes out?

[Last edited by Hikari at 03-19-2007 10:16 PM]
03-19-2007 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Hikari wrote:
Is there an option to trade X number of download credits for TCB upon its release?
I doubt it, unless they're planning to make the price of TCB some multiple of $9US.
Also, as I just extended my membership and don't see the download credits added, I should also ask, will those be appearing at the end of the month when the changeover to the new version of CaravelNet comes out?

03-19-2007 at 10:44 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I suspect so - because Erik's smart and he'll do that all at once.
03-19-2007 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Jatopian wrote:
I doubt it, unless they're planning to make the price of TCB some multiple of $9US.
I thought they were adjusting the cost of SMS's to $15? Wouldn't that mean that if TCB comes out at $30, for example, two SMS credits would cover it?

03-20-2007 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Well, um, I've been thinking some more, and I've changed my mind about not taking up Erik on the offer. Here's some reasons why:

1. I lost my main source of income.
2. See 1.

Instead of getting about $100 a month I'm now getting about $10, so once I get a steady cash flow coming in I'll just buy extra copies of TCB for my friends as someone suggested earlier on.

Me and my stupid conscience, why can't I ever be happy with good bargains?

03-21-2007 at 02:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : We Don't Need No Stinking Preambles. (Our News for February.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com