Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : La-Mulana
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon Re: La-Mulana (+1)  
Love this game. It's hard, it's fun, it's rightfully unforgiving, and it's very open-ended. And boy does it have a lot of ability-bestowing relics to find; there is no such thing as a small-game treasure chest. Every treasure chest has an important and, for the most part, unique item. To me, that's the perfect formula to make every small accomplishment feel like a big one.

Just one complaint: Every now and then, I hit a switch and I have no idea what it did because it changed something in a far away room. It's not easy actively scouring the ruins for changes, but thankfully the game is so open-ended that I can just find a new place and choose to explore that instead. Eventually one day I'll unwittingly find myself climbing a ladder in the first world, saying to myself "was this always here?"

By the way, La-Mulana is coming to Wiiware this winter.
http://la-mulana.com/en/category/blog

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-12-2009 05:02 PM]
10-19-2009 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
icon Re: La-Mulana (0)  
I started to play this today. I can't believe how epic it is.

Also,I love it when it's difficult! I just need to save my game :P

Edit : Had problems getting inside ruins but finally managed do it. Oh I hate those birds.

[Last edited by The Architest at 10-23-2009 01:52 PM]
10-21-2009 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: La-Mulana (+2)  
Bumping since this has now been rereleased on PC, no longer free but majorly updated graphically and in some other areas: http://www.playism-games.com/games/lamulana/

(edit - the free version is still free though :))

[Last edited by TripleM at 07-16-2012 03:52 AM]
07-16-2012 at 03:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I am still waiting for a DSiware or 3DS Ware release - VVVVVV finally got released so my hopes are not exactly yet lost completely.

Plus I don't think I really like the graphical update, looking at the video it feels really edgy at places (I'd have to actually play it to be sure though)

07-16-2012 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
You may be waiting a while. Nicalis completely dropped La-Mulana, leaving Nigoro in the rain.

There are several graphical filters you can choose between.
07-18-2012 at 12:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
La-Mulana 2 releases today!

After a few gazillion years in development La-Mulana 2 will release today to much surprise of everyone who followed its development because a bit over a week ago they were still dealing with "a bug report every 30 minutes". I am excited. Are you excited?

La-Mulana 2 on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/835430/LaMulana_2/

07-30-2018 at 12:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I've been following it with interest. I never preordered, and might give it a week or two in case any majors bugs pop up initially, but I'll definitely be buying it.

A La Mulana without an existing FAQ. What an idea!
07-30-2018 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Apparently you can get a discount if you own the first game and get the bundle.

Needed more hints than I'd like for LM1. Still loved it and hope to do better this time around.

[Last edited by Doom at 01-25-2022 07:19 PM]
07-31-2018 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
I'll ask this much: Does La Mulana 2 share the completely awful jumping controls of the predecessor? You know, where you can only jump straight up unless you jump while moving, in which ccase your jump arc is set and completely immalleable from that point forward? And walking off of platforms causes you to go straight down, no exceptions?

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

07-31-2018 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
No, the jump controls are drastically improved.

07-31-2018 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Xindaris wrote:
I'll ask this much: Does La Mulana 2 share the completely awful jumping controls of the predecessor? You know, where you can only jump straight up unless you jump while moving, in which ccase your jump arc is set and completely immalleable from that point forward? And walking off of platforms causes you to go straight down, no exceptions?
Walking off the edges stayed the same actually, but the rest has been improved immensely, including movement speed being upped slightly (as far as I can tell). The way it is it is a pleasure to move around.

07-31-2018 at 05:18 AM
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: La-Mulana (+2)  
Gonna necro this thread a bit.

La Mulana 2 is just fantastic.

EDIT: Okay maybe I can talk a bit more about this. La mulana 2 improves upon the systems of the main game in most ways that matter.

Combat feels nicer; enemies react to being hit, the weapons feel meatier, and I find myself using stuff apart from the whip and the dagger more consistently. Physics feel nicer. Jumping is way less awful, except for if you trip and fall off a ledge. You can jump to attach to ladders and drop down from ladders, too.

The game does a much better job of teaching you some systems. It eases you into a few ideas with a much more forgiving hand than the original.

An initial complaint (?) that I ended up not really caring about, is many of the items, ideas, weapons from the first game come over almost exactly. There might be a reason for this, but it's easy to come at this thinking it's just a ripoff of the first one. Well, try not to let this bother you; the experience crafted with what they do with the same items and ideas is completely different, while still making sense in the context of La Mulana. If Metroid can get away with this trick, so can this game.

The game is still an utter labyrinth once you get your feet wet a little. Plenty of thoughts and riddles and exploration to juggle. It's a joy to put the proverbial 2 and 2 together, and exploration is significantly more enjoyable this time around (in my opinion). But getting lost is half the fun for me. The environments are great. The bosses are great (and actually, uh, approachable this time around).

And, strangely, I've found the lore in La Mulana 2 significantly more compelling and fleshed out than the first. Rather, it puts the events of the first game in to a much crisper context than I expected, even having *just* played the first. So much so, one could make a pretty good argument for playing this game without having experienced LM1.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Pearls at 09-19-2018 05:41 PM]
09-19-2018 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
Four months late for this, but looks like there'll be DLC for La-Mulana 2 released sometime this year called "Tower of Oannes", featuring the previously-conspicuous-by-their-absence 4th Children.

There's a small trailer on the Steam page

Progress - Gavin G

[Last edited by martz at 09-06-2021 06:19 PM]
09-06-2021 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : La-Mulana
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com