Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (A multiple question poll)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Who wins?--Chiefs v. Colts
Colts PollPollPoll 2 66.67%
Chiefs PollPollPoll 1 33.33%

Who wins?--Cowboys v. Seahawks
Cowboys PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Seahawks PollPollPoll 3 100.00%

Who wins?--Jets v. Patriots
Jets PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Patriots PollPollPoll 3 100.00%

Who wins?--Giants v. Eagles
Giants PollPollPoll 1 33.33%
Eagles PollPollPoll 2 66.67%
Total Votes 10 100%
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (0)  
This is indeed a bit short notice, but who do you think will win? State your claims, say who you voted for, and I'll give some mod points to they who have guessed the most correctly. NO EDITS!

My thoughts: Chiefs (LJ will dominate)
Eagles (They've played too well the last few weeks.)
Patriots (They kick it up in the offseason)
Seahawks (Somebody has to win, and I don't like T.O.)

01-06-2007 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (0)  
You forgot - I don't know anything about the NFL because I'm not American/don't care.
01-06-2007 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I say Colts, Giants, Patriots and the Seahawks. Can't tell you why.
01-06-2007 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I don't know much about football, but my money goes one whichever team brings the really big sword.

01-07-2007 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Where's the "I hate sports and don't care a bit." option?

01-07-2007 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (+2)  
Jatopian wrote:
Where's the "I hate sports and don't care a bit." option?
I guess that would be clicking "View results"...

01-07-2007 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (+3)  
Colts, Seahawks, Patriots, and Eagles.

Keep posting,

01-07-2007 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
That is the weirdest thing! It says that I voted! or hit view results, I guess. Odd. This is my first time viewing this thread.

01-07-2007 at 08:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (+1)  
What's so weird about timed polls?
01-07-2007 at 08:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
They show you the results after... whoops.

01-07-2007 at 08:45 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
stigant wrote:
I don't know much about football...
A basic summary then... world's most popular sport, 2 teams of 11. Objective is to score goals by getting the ball into the oppopnent's goal (area between posts). Ball may not be touched with the hands or arms, except by the goalkeeper within the 18-yard box.

But I don't see the relevance as this thread is about that strange American game where they stole the name and absolutely none of the rules... ;)

"Oook!"
01-07-2007 at 12:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
krammer wrote:
But I don't see the relevance as this thread is about that strange American game where they stole the name and absolutely none of the rules... ;)

. . .and ended up with something that looks a bit like confused rugby (for wimps? - is all that clutter of padding, helmets and so on really necessary?) O:-

01-07-2007 at 01:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
krammer wrote:

Could we NOT start this again? We understand that football and football are two different sports, and the topic clearly states that we are talking about the American version, can this not turn into another: "Stupid American stole the name of our favorite sport" thread??

Sorry, It just seems that everywhere I go, everyone starts saying this and it turns into a stupid discussion about football vs football. And I hate it.
01-07-2007 at 01:06 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Ezlo wrote:
krammer wrote:

Could we NOT start this again? We understand that football and football are two different sports, and the topic clearly states that we are talking about the American version, can this not turn into another: "Stupid American stole the name of our favorite sport" thread??

Sorry, It just seems that everywhere I go, everyone starts saying this and it turns into a stupid discussion about football vs football. And I hate it.
ah, where was the first thread?

Also, can I please ask you to try and think about why people would point out that football is a different sport in their country? They hate you calling what appears to them as a modified version of rugby, football, especially when you don't acknowledge or accommodate for them at all. More so on an Internet forum, where you create a thread and a poll that doesn't accept that not everyone who is on the forum lives in America and/or cares about NFL.
01-07-2007 at 01:25 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
What? That's not football at all, you English guys! Get it right!

Football is a family of games that involves two teams and a ball that must be moved to one end of the field to score points that mostly derived from England and started to gain popularity at schools around the Middle Ages, around the 16th century. By the end of the 19th century two distinct styles of the football game had been developed (before that, every area tended to have its own rules and some rules, such as the offside rule, were borrowed if it was seen as a good idea) - a running game, referred to as Rugby after the school where the rules developed; and a kicking game, which was the defacto standard but with widely varying rules, and was first unified by the Football Association in 1863 (notably, after the Rugby game had started to spread - in fact, several clubs pulled out of the association after it was decided that carrying the ball and tackling would not be allowed in the new game). This unified kicking game is called 'soccer', after the 'association' which spawned it.

It's not our fault if the majority of the world gets it wrong.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 01-07-2007 10:17 PM : So much hostility]
01-07-2007 at 02:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Zex didn't even *use* the word football in his topic name, description, or in the poll. Sure, the F in NFL stands for football, but it's not like he started the topic by saying "THIS IS ABOUT THE ONE TRUE FOOTBALL, AND ALL YOUR OTHER INTERPRETATIONS OF FOOTBALL DON'T MATTER BECAUSE I'M AMERICAN."

If there's some international NFL that I'm not aware of, with Chiefs, Colts, Cowboys, etc. then I can understand if there were some confusion. If you don't care about a topic, what's so hard about simply ignoring it. This forum wasn't made solely for coppro or Jatopian - not every thread has to be of critical importance to you. If you don't care about a topic, ignore it. I don't really want to set a precedent that it's a great idea to go into every topic you're not interested and state how you're not interested.

01-07-2007 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Schik wrote:
Zex didn't even *use* the word football in his topic name, description, or in the poll. Sure, the F in NFL stands for football, but it's not like he started the topic by saying "THIS IS ABOUT THE ONE TRUE FOOTBALL, AND ALL YOUR OTHER INTERPRETATIONS OF FOOTBALL DON'T MATTER BECAUSE I'M AMERICAN."
On the other hand, a quick "This topic is about American Football" would have been a nice time-saver. Ignoring a topic I'm not interested in isn't hard, but first I need to know it's something I'm not interested in.

[Last edited by Znirk at 01-07-2007 05:37 PM : One more verb]
01-07-2007 at 05:36 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
But seriously though, who saw the end of the Cowboys-Seahawks game? That was an unbelievable finish, which I appreciated even more being a Seattleite. That game truly showed that you can't take anything for granted in the playoffs.

01-07-2007 at 08:00 PM
Ezlo
Yeah, it was a good game, and I don't really even like football that much.
01-07-2007 at 08:12 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
There were indeed some crazy plays there, mostly favoring Seattle. And he almost got the first down! Wouldn't that have been insane?

And thanks, Schik and Ezlo (among others). I think it's sort of silly to query a poll like this for not including an "I don't care" option. If you don't care, you don't have to vote. I know not everybody cares about the NFL, but this is for those who do.

And you don't have to assume that I'm the sort of American who thinks that what we call football is teh best sport evar, and all others suck, just because I make this poll on the playoffs.

Edited: Was too reactionary, for some odd reason.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 01-07-2007 08:19 PM]
01-07-2007 at 08:17 PM
Jason
Schik wrote:

If there's some international National Football League that I'm not aware of, ........

:D

01-07-2007 at 08:36 PM
NiroZ
Schik wrote:
I don't know about you, but whenever I come across a poll, whether it be here or on another website, I expect it to allow me to express my opinions in one way or another. If it does not, I feel that the poll is saying that my opinions do not matter/they do not care about my opinions and thus I feel insulted. I know in this case that my input is not needed, but it is still irritating. The fact that he did not cater for people who do not know about NFL gives people the impression that he assumes we all know about NFL, and for the people don't it is left open to interpretation what exactly was his motivation in not catering for people who do not know/care about NFL in the poll or the post. I think it is fairly obvious that people found it insulting in general.

Schik wrote:
If you don't care about a topic, what's so hard about simply ignoring it. This forum wasn't made solely for coppro or Jatopian - not every thread has to be of critical importance to you. If you don't care about a topic, ignore it.
Well if ignoring topics are so easy, why is there so much frustration over the 'Predict the next poster' thread? You yourself expressed irritation over that topic.

No, this forum is not made solely for coppro or Jatopian, it is made for everybody who is interested in DROD, despite their language, culture, race, nationality, creed, or sport interests.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-08-2007 03:09 AM]
01-08-2007 at 03:08 AM
coppro
Schik wrote: This forum wasn't made solely for coppro or Jatopian - not every thread has to be of critical importance to you.

Apologies. My post came off wrong - it was supposed to read that that was an option that he left off. More of a Banjooie than an insult. I know exactly what American football is. We play it in school sometimes. In Canada, we play with a field 10 yards longer than the American one. We only have 3 downs. I don't follow the topic though. Sorry if that came off as offensive.

No, I don't follow hockey either, just for the record. :-O
01-08-2007 at 03:09 AM
Schik
NiroZ wrote:
I don't know about you, but whenever I come across a poll, whether it be here or on another website, I expect it to allow me to express my opinions in one way or another. If it does not, I feel that the poll is saying that my opinions do not matter/they do not care about my opinions and thus I feel insulted.
If you don't know anything about the NFL, or have any basis to make a guess at who will win, then your opinions don't matter. You *have* no opinion who will win, because you have nothing more than a roll of the dice to base an opinion on. For a poll, "View Results" (or simply not voting) implies "this doesn't apply to me, or I don't care". We don't need an extra option added to every poll to designate that. I don't see "I didn't have time to look at all of the entries, so I'm not voting for them" or "This contest sucks, I pass" on the contest polls.
I think it is fairly obvious that people found it insulting in general.
This seems bizarre to me. If anybody wants to make polls about whatever sports (or non-sports...) tournaments that happen in their country, I can't imagine myself being offended or insulted. I've always gotten an impression of hostility from the rest of the world about the US making a sport and calling it football, when everybody else already called something else football. I don't know who did that, but it wasn't me, and it wasn't Zex. Many of us do in fact know that what we call soccer was around before our football, and even that the rest of the world calls soccer "football".
Schik wrote:
If you don't care about a topic, what's so hard about simply ignoring it. This forum wasn't made solely for coppro or Jatopian - not every thread has to be of critical importance to you. If you don't care about a topic, ignore it.
Well if ignoring topics are so easy, why is there so much frustration over the 'Predict the next poster' thread? You yourself expressed irritation over that topic.
That topic irritated me because I used to get Forum Games posts in my email, but I didn't want to get 5619 (as of now) emails from that one topic. Thus I disabled notifications for that board. I'm not offended that people enjoy playing that game - I may not understand why they enjoy it, but it doesn't insult me that they want to play it.
No, this forum is not made solely for coppro or Jatopian, it is made for everybody who is interested in DROD, despite their language, culture, race, nationality, creed, or sport interests.
...so then we should only discuss things that everyone will enjoy?? Again, this board is Anything, not Anything that necessarily applies to every person on the planet.

01-08-2007 at 03:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Schik wrote:If you don't know anything about the NFL, or have any basis to make a guess at who will win, then your opinions don't matter.
I thought I stated that.

Schik wrote:For a poll, "View Results" (or simply not voting) implies "this doesn't apply to me, or I don't care". We don't need an extra option added to every poll to designate that. I don't see "I didn't have time to look at all of the entries, so I'm not voting for them" or "This contest sucks, I pass" on the contest polls.
Well I have yet to see a poll judging peoples reaction to a particular contest, so no surprise there.
I just have the view that a poll should allow anyone who comes across it to input their opinion, with viewing the results for people who cannot make up their mind.
Schik wrote:
I think it is fairly obvious that people found it insulting in general.
This seems bizarre to me. If anybody wants to make polls about whatever sports (or non-sports...) tournaments that happen in their country, I can't imagine myself being offended or insulted. I've always gotten an impression of hostility from the rest of the world about the US making a sport and calling it football, when everybody else already called something else football. I don't know who did that, but it wasn't me, and it wasn't Zex. Many of us do in fact know that what we call soccer was around before our football, and even that the rest of the world calls soccer "football".
Actually, in Australia what we call soccer is the same as what you call soccer. Also, stigant is the one who(probably unintentionally) brought up the football discussion. You may think it is bizarre that people felt insulted, but there is no doubt that people did.
...so then we should only discuss things that everyone will enjoy?? Again, this board is Anything, not Anything that necessarily applies to every person on the planet.
Well seeing as it is impossible to guess what everyone will enjoy, I doubt we can only discuss those topics, whatever they may be. However, posting something that will defiantly exclude groups of people on the forum is a different matter. I myself try to avoid such things, but I do not expect everyone else to do so. What I wish people would do is when they know that the thread they are about to make will exclude people, they will at least explain what it is about, and try to accommodate for those people in some way. The way Zex has gone about this business is a great way to create rifts in the forum, IMHO.
01-08-2007 at 04:50 AM
coppro
NiroZ wrote:The way Zex has gone about this business is a great way to create rifts in the forum, IMHO.

I disagree. While Banjooie this forum is prone to satirical, pointless remarks, that doesn't mean that everyone should need to put up a disclaimer to stop an argument from starting. Such a request is normally implied, unless indicated otherwise. Only on this forum does it seem to be the reverse. (Although the D&D forums manage to get more topics off-topic than we do)

Now, Zex, if you want to return to your original topic, I'm all for it.

[Last edited by coppro at 01-08-2007 04:59 AM]
01-08-2007 at 04:57 AM
Schik
NiroZ wrote:
Schik wrote:If you don't know anything about the NFL, or have any basis to make a guess at who will win, then your opinions don't matter.
I thought I stated that.
You said "I feel that the poll is saying that my opinions do not matter/they do not care about my opinions and thus I feel insulted." I'm saying that the poll's not really saying that - it's just a simple fact that your opinion doesn't matter. If someone asks me how I like the Nintendo DS, then my opinion doesn't matter because I've never used one. It's not insulting to ask me.
I just have the view that a poll should allow anyone who comes across it to input their opinion, with viewing the results for people who cannot make up their mind.
Well, I'll tell you what. You can go google all about the NFL and how all the teams are this season, and then formulate an opinion. If you don't want to, or cannot make up your mind, then you hit View Results.
However, posting something that will defiantly exclude groups of people on the forum is a different matter. I myself try to avoid such things, but I do not expect everyone else to do so. What I wish people would do is when they know that the thread they are about to make will exclude people, they will at least explain what it is about, and try to accommodate for those people in some way. The way Zex has gone about this business is a great way to create rifts in the forum, IMHO.
Wow. I'm almost speechless. Let's see.... how about this topic, created by one NiroZ. You ask what you should get for your Nintendo DS Lite. Oh my god, I don't have one, and you know what, there's probably a lot of people out there who don't have them. So, I really didn't care about that topic at all when it came up. Apparently I should have been offended, because you're causing a rift between the DS owners and non-DS owners.

01-08-2007 at 06:43 AM
NiroZ
Schik wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
I thought I stated that.
it's just a simple fact that your opinion doesn't matter.
That is what I mean by "I know in this case that my input is not needed"

Wow. I'm almost speechless. Let's see.... how about this topic, created by one NiroZ. You ask what you should get for your Nintendo DS Lite. Oh my god, I don't have one, and you know what, there's probably a lot of people out there who don't have them. So, I really didn't care about that topic at all when it came up. Apparently I should have been offended, because you're causing a rift between the DS owners and non-DS owners.
Very true, but to this day there has been not one person who has express any sort of resentment against that thread, but the same thing cannot be said about this thread. So why have people found it so easy to ignore that thread but not this thread then?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-08-2007 08:57 AM]
01-08-2007 at 08:57 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Hmm, how about a little exercise in kindergarden-level logic:

Derive the logical conclusion from these four sentences:
* Everyone who are good at sports are not geeks.
* All people resent topics on subjects they are not good at.
* Most of those who play DROD are geeks.
* All geeks are people.

01-08-2007 at 09:30 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Not to mention that some people get really riled up at all this attention piled on spectator sports. Only 30 people, at most, can play the game, they say. Why should anyone other than those thirty people care about the outcome?

It's an attitude I've never really understood. Maybe there's one of these people here?

01-08-2007 at 12:05 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com