Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Ortho square mod pageant (An unofficial contest)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ortho square mod pageant (0)  
Update:
At least I can get this to work on 1 of my 2 computers. :yes
01-03-2007 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
larrymurk wrote:
Folks, I made a hold that you might find helpful for testing your ortho squares.

I put an ortho on every background to see how it looks on each.
I put an ortho under several monsters to see if it shows.
I made an ortho field to see whether non-orthos stand out.

I made 3 copies of the room, one for each style.

You might want to use this hold to check how your orthos look or to judge others later. If you come up with any improvements just edit the hold and repost it.

You can even try defeating the room.
what about walls and trapdoors?
01-04-2007 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
What OS are you using (on each)?
01-04-2007 at 03:34 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Maybe I should mention that I will enter.

01-04-2007 at 03:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174

Yeah me too. It seems that what you wrote Kevin_P86 to see the created othosquare when we play DROD, doesn't work for DROD:Jtrh Demo.

Is there a way to have an overview of my orthosquare while playing DROD: Jrth Demo?
If there isn't, then I'll ask someone to make some screenshots with my orthosquares.
01-04-2007 at 08:46 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
eytanz wrote:
Technical specs:

- A Drod tile is 22x22 pixels large.

Appleworks paint files won't go any lower than 36 :( What I have done is make my designs on squares 44x44 and used the top left quarter, but I can't submit them like that. Can anyone suggest a way round this? Is there any (free) software which I could use (on a Mac) ?

Elf.

01-04-2007 at 11:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: Ortho square mod pageant (+1)  
I use LiveQuartz. It could be more powerful, but that's what you get for a free program.

01-04-2007 at 12:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Dali wrote:

Yeah me too. It seems that what you wrote Kevin_P86 to see the created othosquare when we play DROD, doesn't work for DROD:Jtrh Demo.

Is there a way to have an overview of my orthosquare while playing DROD: Jrth Demo?
If there isn't, then I'll ask someone to make some screenshots with my orthosquares.
considering that the JtRH:demo is only lacking 2 styles and the full JtRH hold, you should be able to test out your own orthosquares, unless you wish to test them on the the other styles. The best workaround that you could use too compare the orthosquares on them(other than buying the full version of course) would be to use the 'insert room' button, and try and find holds that use the different styles and are set to publicly displayed. KDD is probably a good one for that.
01-04-2007 at 01:37 PM
christine83
Rank Points: 158
I want to enter too :)

I just got the same problem where my new tile wouldn't show up, but it turned out the .ini file got overwritten somehow.. maybe from memory because i restarted it too quickly? who knows.. i edited the .ini file again and checked the forum, then it magically worked.

Yes, I believe in magic ;)

#1 Fan!
Click here to view the secret text

01-04-2007 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Ortho square mod pageant (+2)  
Tahnan wrote:
(Though man, I wish there were a way to get DROD to read three different ortho tiles for the three styles, though I gather that, since the various styles don't specify their ortho-appearances, that can't be done. Alas.)
You can. Make three separate 22x22 images. Let's say you call them ortho1.png, ortho2.png and ortho3.png. Make three identical .tim files, same as before (containing only 458), called ortho1.tim, ortho2.tim and ortho3.tim. Now, instead of adding General=... in your .ini, add three lines, one after each StyleX=StyleX, so it looks as follows:
Style1=Style1
Style1=ortho1
Style2=Style2
Style2=ortho2
Style3=Style3
Style3=ortho3

ortho1 will show up in foundation, ortho2 in deep spaces, and ortho3 in iceworks.

EDIT: Since style-dependent entries will be submitted as 66x22 images, it's better to do it this way:

Put all three graphics in one 66x22 image. (66 wide, 22 high). Foundation on the left, deep spaces in the middle, iceworks on the right.

Make copies of this image so you have three identical 66x22 images. Call them ortho1.png, ortho2.png and ortho3.png. (Of course they can also be .bmp files.)

Make .tim files ortho1.tim, ortho2.tim and ortho3.tim.
ortho1.tim must contain: 458, !2
ortho2.tim must contain: !1, 458, !1
ortho3.tim must contain: !2, 458
(Exactly like that, only one line in each .tim file.)

The .ini stays the same as for the case with three separate 22x22 images.

[Last edited by michthro at 01-04-2007 07:59 PM]
01-04-2007 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Elfstone wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Technical specs:

- A Drod tile is 22x22 pixels large.

Appleworks paint files won't go any lower than 36 :( What I have done is make my designs on squares 44x44 and used the top left quarter, but I can't submit them like that. Can anyone suggest a way round this? Is there any (free) software which I could use (on a Mac) ?

Elf.

Don't worry about it - feel free to submit the 44x44 file. I posted the regulations in order to make things easier on me but I don't want to do it at the expense of people using Macs.

On a related note, as it stands now I'll probably be creating a submission topic since there's enough interest and otherwise it will get messy, so if anyone already finished their tile, they should hold onto it until the submission topic appear.

01-04-2007 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Count me in, Eytanz! Great contest idea!

Keep posting,

01-05-2007 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
eytanz wroteDon't worry about it - feel free to submit the 44x44 file. I posted the regulations in order to make things easier on me but I don't want to do it at the expense of people using Macs.

:thumbsup Thanks etanz!

Elf.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 01-05-2007 11:10 AM]
01-05-2007 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
igusarov
Rank Points: 116
I'll submit a bitmap for this contest :-)
01-05-2007 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Eytanz, incidentally, assures me that there'll be a submission topic just as soon as he's no longer trapped in a Hilton on the wrong coast.
01-06-2007 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Tahnan wrote:
... as soon as he's no longer trapped in a Hilton on the wrong coast.
Does he mean Paris? :D

(sorry, can't resist)
01-07-2007 at 12:42 AM
Tahnan
Oh, Lord, if only. Paris would be so preferable. (Indeed, it's hard to imagine places that wouldn't be.)
01-07-2007 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tim wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
... as soon as he's no longer trapped in a Hilton on the wrong coast.
Does he mean Paris? :D
www... just - www... :tumbleweed:

01-07-2007 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tahnan wrote:
Oh, Lord, if only. Paris would be so preferable. (Indeed, it's hard to imagine places that wouldn't be.)
Places? Don't you rather mean people?

01-07-2007 at 01:07 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Tahnan wrote:
I'd say the disease risk may well be greater than the hotel bedsheets, so this might be exaggeration.

01-07-2007 at 04:56 AM
Tahnan
Oh, you meant, Paris could be the Hilton, not Paris could be the wrong coast. (I was wondering. Paris isn't really all that coastal.)

Which is the second time in less than a year I've fallen into this trap: I was lecturing on proper names, and said, "Let's use a place name rather than a person's name, such as 'Paris'." There was snickering, and someone said, "Which is also a person's name." I thought a moment, and said, "Oh, right, the man who kidnapped Helen of...that's not who you meant, is it."

But you know, compared to where we were, even Paris Hilton might be preferable.
01-07-2007 at 09:04 PM
eytanz
Where we were, by the way, was Anaheim, home of Disneyland, Downtown Disney, and the $3.5 can of diet pepsi. I entirely concur with Tahnan's opinion of it. I'll be back to the relative sanity of New York on Tuesday, and the submission topic will shortly follow.

01-08-2007 at 12:57 AM
Tahnan
The hotel, incidentally, had no tenth floor. The floor above the 9th was the 11th. (There was, however, a 13th floor.) All I can figure is that "10" is a trademark of the Walt Disney Corporation.
01-08-2007 at 07:35 PM
eytanz
Really? I didn't notice that. I did notice that it had no third floor, even though the elevator did have a "3" button (which did nothing).

01-09-2007 at 03:04 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Are you allowing multiple entries? I have one design finished, and I'm sure its the one I'm going to enter if I only enter one, but I have some ideas for other things I'd like to try.

01-09-2007 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
I don't see why not to have multiple entries - the goal is to come up with the best ortho square, so the more entries the better a chance there is. You won't get double participation credit, of course.

01-09-2007 at 06:08 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
eytanz wrote:
You won't get double participation credit, of course.
Well, since this one's unofficial it's no issue (2*0 and all that).
01-09-2007 at 09:01 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Znirk wrote:
Actually, there's 3 points participation credit.
01-09-2007 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
coppro wrote:
Znirk wrote:
Actually, there's 3 points participation credit.
Oooh, right. Sorry, I missed/forgot that part.
01-10-2007 at 12:50 PM
Elfstone
I have read and re-read the instructions on putting the squares I've made into DROD and frankly I'm not even going to attempt that - I'm concerned that the instructions given perhaps wouldn't work on a Mac and also that I would make a mess of things again and lose something vital!

eytanz, may I post my submissions without testing them first, or is that a waste of time? Is the testing bit vital?

Elf.

01-20-2007 at 01:59 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Ortho square mod pageant (An unofficial contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com