Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New Look for Ortho Squares (they're hard to see)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
IP: Logged
icon New Look for Ortho Squares (+2)  
I find ortho squares much harder to see than other game elements. Especially when you're trying to tell whether a square in the middle of an ortho field is ortho or not, or noticing a lone ortho square with walls near it. I think iceworks is probably the hardest to see them on.

So I was wondering if there could be a more obvious representation of them? I'm not sure what it would be, though. Maybe make them slightly larger, or let them tint squares they're on slightly? An option to highlight all orthosquares if you click one of them might be nice too (much like orb association or eye beam options).

01-02-2007 at 04:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: New Look for Ortho Squares (0)  
Well, there's always making a style of your own! In fact, you could probably do it quite easily. I'll pull one up in a few minutes.
01-02-2007 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
icon Re: New Look for Ortho Squares (+1)  
coppro wrote:
Well, there's always making a style of your own! In fact, you could probably do it quite easily. I'll pull one up in a few minutes.

Yeah, I know I can create a new style (though I've never tried to make one), the logic of posting this was more that if I have trouble seeing ortho-squares, its fairly likely other people do too, and it may be worth tweaking in the official release.

If you're actually making a mod for it right now though, thanks, thats awesome!

01-02-2007 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Here we go. Extract this to Data/Bitmaps and then add General=BigOrtho to the bottom of the Graphics section of drod.ini. You may not like it, but it should be more obvious.
01-02-2007 at 05:32 AM
Beef Row
coppro wrote:
Here we go. Extract this to Data/Bitmaps and then add General=BigOrtho to the bottom of the Graphics section of drod.ini. You may not like it, but it should be more obvious.

I think you need to attach it first :P

01-02-2007 at 05:36 AM
coppro

File: BigOrtho.zip (654 bytes)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: New Look for Ortho Squares (+2)  
Yeah, yeah.

You guys are so demanding.
01-02-2007 at 06:32 AM
Beef Row
coppro wrote:

Well, this certainly fixes the visibility! I'll play around a little with it to see if I can strike a good balance between that and aesthetics, and if I get something really nice, I'll post it up here as well.

01-02-2007 at 06:46 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: CrossOrtho.PNG (277 bytes)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
Another possibility is putting a cross on the square. That would make it easier to differentiate between ortho and non-ortho squares.

I have no idea how this looks in game.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 01-02-2007 07:24 AM]
01-02-2007 at 07:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I agree that it would be nice if caravel changed the graphic to make ortho squares more obvious.

Maybe if someone comes up with a good design caravel could adopt it. There could be a contest to design the best ortho square graphic..
01-02-2007 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It's up to Erik & Mike, but I think a contest for a new graphic would be a cool idea.

I am fond of the ortho square graphic - it's one of two JtRH graphic tiles I have partially contributed to - but I agree it has problems and could be improved on.

01-02-2007 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Or it could depend on the color of the tile below it. If it was a grassy tile, then the orthosquare would be something easy to see on green... like white? ;)
01-02-2007 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
You know what - why wait for a possible official contest? I started an unofficial contest here.

01-02-2007 at 07:31 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I personally have never found the orthosquare graphic problematic, even in the Iceworks style.
Perhaps they could be made to change their look with the room style, like force arrows.

01-02-2007 at 11:35 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Jatopian wrote:
I personally have never found the orthosquare graphic problematic, even in the Iceworks style.
Perhaps they could be made to change their look with the room style, like force arrows.
Hence the contest ;)
01-03-2007 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
The contest isn't going to help make them different with room styles - that requires a coding change.

01-03-2007 at 12:45 AM
coppro
No it doesn't. The code doesn't specify whether it is contained within a StyleX file or a GeneralTiles file, it's just that a GeneralTiles file changes all styles. Putting an image found in GeneralTiles in a StyleX file and adding the appropriate .tim entry works fine. The reverse isn't always true because DROD loads style files after all general files, and so will overwrite the bitmaps with the ones in the default StyleX files - but if you used custom styles, you could do that.
01-03-2007 at 12:58 AM
eytanz
Oh! Cool. I'll add a note to the contest about this being an option.

01-03-2007 at 01:08 AM
Error302
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
i'm thinking that having a nice 1-3 pixel red line that goes down the middle, and across the middle, making a + shape on the tile would do nicely. in honor of the snakes that get so much edge on them =p

or maybe instead of red use whatever color force arrows happen to be using
01-04-2007 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Beef Row wrote:
So I was wondering if there could be a more obvious representation of them? I'm not sure what it would be, though. Maybe make them slightly larger, or let them tint squares they're on slightly?
I'm all for adding a more effective ortho tile graphic to the game that doesn't look too intrusive or ugly. Having a better color-coded version for each room style is also possible, as stated, but with the variation in floor textures within a single style, I'm not sure how effective this would be. I'm interested to see what people come up with for the ortho contest.
An option to highlight all orthosquares if you click one of them might be nice too (much like orb association or eye beam options).
Nice idea. I'll add this to 3.0.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-04-2007 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Just a reminder for eytanz to add this to the TCB list. :P

I'm definitely entering this one. Great contest idea, as well!

Keep posting,

EDIT: Gah.. Ignore the second line. Wrong thread...

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 01-05-2007 02:19 AM]
01-05-2007 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New Look for Ortho Squares (they're hard to see)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com