Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
IP: Logged
icon Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins (+1)  
Guess what Santa brought me. Yay! Awesome game, unless you don't like Arthur's notorious jumping behaviour. I don't mind it. Maybe it's because I grew up with the arcade version of GnG.

Anyway, I got 22 rings, beat the boss, went all the way through once more, without finding another ring, and it's beginning to become a bit of a pain. I like the action, but having to look all over for secrets is spoiling the game for me a little. I have the Treasure Magic, but it hasn't turned up one single hidden chest yet. The only guide Google turns up is vague and misleading, not to mention incomplete. Does anyone here know where the hidden chests are, or where I can find a decent guide? I know it's a lot to ask, but I'd be eternally grateful if someone could help me out.
12-28-2006 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
icon Re: Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins (+1)  
I always assumed Ghosts and Goblins was so hard that the attempted completion of it could leave component parts of your body completely paralised!

Hats off to you sir!

12-28-2006 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins (0)  
Tombot wrote:
I always assumed Ghosts and Goblins was so hard that the attempted completion of it could leave component parts of your body completely paralised!

Hats off to you sir!
Erm... you do realise just who you're talking to?

I obviously completed it first time and... well... No, I won't tell where the last chest is. Ha! ;)
12-28-2006 at 10:42 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Syntax wrote:

I obviously completed it first time and... well... No, I won't tell where the last chest is. Ha! ;)
Well, aren't you arrogant?
Being efficient at DROD doesn't necessarily make you good at anything else... or humble, for that matter.

12-29-2006 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'm pretty sure Syntax is kidding.

At least, I hope he is.

12-29-2006 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I loved those games. I would play the SNES one on the hardest difficulty...although with the highest amount of lives (9). It was really hard but earning continues was easy enough that determination would get me through. I would love to borrow a PSP and play though Ultimate and the Megaman remake...not worth it to buy the PSP still in my opinion, not for only 2 games. Maybe one day there will be enough to entice me...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-29-2006 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Tombot wrote:

Hats off to you sir!
You assumed right. But what it does to your body is nothing compared to what it does to your mind. It's driving me completely bonkers. Talk about hard. I have to find these 11 rings, and I haven't even got one. groan.. So you can leave your hat firmly in place. I suck at platformers. (But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.)

Jatopian wrote:
Syntax wrote:

Well, aren't you arrogant?
Being efficient at DROD doesn't necessarily make you good at anything else... or humble, for that matter.
Geez..Syntax was so clearly kidding - he even winked - that I can't help but wonder why exactly you are so ready to take him seriously. I mean, you can only take that the wrong way if you already consider Syntax to be arrogant. Otherwise you'd see it for the joke it is. I could be wrong, but that's really what it looks like.

Everyone knows that being good at one thing doesn't necessarily mean you're good at anything else. It would be very unhealthy to think otherwise. Needlessly pointing out something that obvious is insulting. Don't jump to conclusions about the way others think, and if you're going to say things like that, be sure of yourself. Syntax is the last player who deserves to be accused of that. Assuming that people are arrogant jerks with no perspective, purely on the grounds that they are good at something, is a little unhealthy itself.
12-29-2006 at 10:48 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
michthro wrote:
I can't help but wonder why exactly you are so ready to take him seriously.
My thoughts exactly.
12-29-2006 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Yay! Meta-talk!
michthro wrote:
I can't help but wonder why exactly you are so ready to take [Syntax] seriously. I mean, you can only take that the wrong way if you already consider Syntax to be arrogant. Otherwise you'd see it for the joke it is.
My own Rule One of Colloquial Writing goes: Jokes, sarcasm etc. are never never never obvious.

I see this situation on the same lines as you, but in the exact opposite direction: To you Syntax was "clearly kidding", but that's because you know Syntax and don't expect arrogance. To me it looked like a three-way chance between "joke I don't understand", "posting under the influence" or "borderline angry because michthro does have paralyzed limbs" (hey, what do I know?).
12-29-2006 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Well... I laughed heartily at the responses here. For the record, I was very much joking. Guess I've been on the forums for so long I presume my oft display of sarcasm is well-known but I was obviously wrong this time. Sorry for any confusion.

Everyone knows michthro is bad at platformers... duh! ;)

[EDIT]

And also for the record, I've never actually played Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins. I may have played the original on the Spectrum or something but can't really remember...

[Last edited by Syntax at 12-29-2006 04:12 PM]
12-29-2006 at 04:10 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I played the C64 version of G 'n G back in the day. Boy, I hated it. And, living in Israel like I did away from any sort of video-game culture, I had no idea it was *notorious* for being hard. I just thought I sucked at it.

12-29-2006 at 06:03 PM
Syntax
C64! That's right :)

My mate was one of the best on that game, and reaching screen 18 was his best so I doubt "sucking at it" is actually possible. It was just a game which should never have been released due to its insane level of difficulty :)
12-29-2006 at 06:17 PM
jemann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 160
[Considers staying out of this, but is too tempted]

Ghosts and Goblins on the C64? That was a walk-over, man.

OK, not really. But I definitely finished it, and Impossible Mission (to name another toughie). However, Beethro's Teacher is kicking my ass. Zen-like calm just doesn't cut it with DROD.
12-30-2006 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
I finished Mission Impossible on the Atari and found it a lot easier. Well done on completing GnG. I didn't think that was possible.

As for Beethro's Teacher... I'd agree it's pretty tough :)
12-30-2006 at 05:05 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Oneiromancer wrote:
I loved those games. I would play the SNES one on the hardest difficulty...although with the highest amount of lives (9). It was really hard but earning continues was easy enough that determination would get me through.

I never figured out how to get anywhere in the SNES one. Is there some trick right near the beginning? (not a problem of dying, I never saw where to go)

(I've nearly beaten the Genesis one but never could get past the part in the castle where you start refighting the old bosses.)

12-30-2006 at 08:24 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Beef Row wrote:
I never figured out how to get anywhere in the SNES one. Is there some trick right near the beginning? (not a problem of dying, I never saw where to go)
The only thing I can think of is...did you know that you can double-jump to get over the tombstones?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-30-2006 at 04:59 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Oneiromancer wrote:
Beef Row wrote:
The only thing I can think of is...did you know that you can double-jump to get over the tombstones?

Game on,

Errrm.... no? :blush

12-31-2006 at 03:18 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com