Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Going with the flow here. (Yes, folks, it's another pre-announcement!)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
IP: Logged
icon Re: Going with the flow here. (0)  
bandit1200 wrote:
What amazes me is that members of this forum, where intelligence seems to be higher than average - I don't include myself in that generalisation - should take offence, or be annoyed, at something they read on a monitor.
I'm not sure why intelligence per se should correlate with patience.
If something bothers you, move on. How easy can it be?
Perhaps in today's world of information overload, extra information to be managed is more inconvenient for some people than others might believe.
As for those it annoys making their point, I am in total agreement. As long as those it doesn't bother can make their point too.
I don't see very many people who are against preannouncements reproving those in favor of them for speaking their mind. And I think the other direction has only been happening because the against-group started the discussion.
Well, I guess no one should do anything for fear of offending a couple of people. It seems to be the way the whole world these days.
I think the evidence is starting to point to a tipping-point being reached. I don't think we're necessarily talking about a handful of people here.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-10-2006 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
bandit1200 wrote:
What amazes me is that members of this forum, where intelligence seems to be higher than average - I don't include myself in that generalisation - should take offence, or be annoyed, at something they read on a monitor.

I think one sign of intelligence is to be able to form opinions (positive or negative) about stuff. Most intelligent people I know do not just passively ignore everything they read.

If something bothers you, move on. How easy can it be?

Sure, I can move on. And I often do. And I probably will for future pre-annoucements, since I doubt I'll have anything new to add. But it seems to me that once I do start getting annoyed at something - which wasn't done to annoy me - it's only proper that I actually inform people of that, so that they can make an informed decision. I certainly prefer knowing when I'm inadvertently doing annoying things.

As long as those it doesn't bother can make their point too.

Sure. And I for one, welcome that point. If there is a community of people who actively enjoy pre-announcements, I want to know about it, because that seems to me a good enough reason to have them, far outweighing any objections I may have. But while I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't care one way or another, I suspect that people who actually *want* pre-announcements are far fewer than people who don't.

11-10-2006 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Sorry for saying you didn't release your thing... I AM TOO IMPATIENT!!!!!!! *explodes*

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

11-10-2006 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: Going with the flow here. (+1)  
AlefBet wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
I'm not sure why intelligence per se should correlate with patience.
I must have missed something along the way. Where did patience come into it?

edited for speeling

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 11-10-2006 09:29 PM]
11-10-2006 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Going with the flow here. (+1)  
As anyone who frequents message boards of huge companies like Blizzard knows, the vocal minority sure seems like the extremely vocal majority. It just seems to be human nature when online to only make a post when there is something to complain about, and to stay silent when one is content with the situation. There have already been many discussions here that this forum is generally very mellow because of the type of people that DROD attracts, but I think human nature will always prevail.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-10-2006 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Going with the flow here. (Yes, folks, it's another pre-announcement!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com