Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Hints & Solutions board topic icons (to show whether person's been helped yet)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Hints & Solutions board topic icons (+1)  
I propose that when someone posts a new thread in the Hints & Solutions board, an icon similar to the "Needs investigating" arrow should appear by their topic/post. Then, they can return to mark their post with an icon similar to the "Fixed" check to show that they have been helped. Anyone who posts in the thread has the option to mark their post with the 'help me' icon or not. If there are any 'help me' posts in the thread, its icon is the 'help me' icon, and otherwise it's the other.
All the above is meant to let persons know when someone needs help, so they needn't check that board's individual threads so often, which means that persons with less free time can help and persons don't go forever without help.
I've tried to think of something simpler, but nothing decent coalesces.

10-24-2006 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1377
icon Re: Hints & Solutions board topic icons (0)  
That sounds quite good to me, if its easy enough to implement.
10-25-2006 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Well, as an idea to Schik, if bug-tracking was enabled in that forum, I'd be willing to moderate and keep as active as possible with those squares. Just an idea, of course.

10-25-2006 at 12:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
That's assuming the person who is asking for help knows and/or remembers to change the icon when their problem has been resolved.

10-25-2006 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Kevin_P86 wrote:
That's assuming the person who is asking for help knows and/or remembers to change the icon when their problem has been resolved.
I agree, Its a great Idea, but its probably too prone to errors/too complex for people who just jump onto the forums to ask for help.
10-25-2006 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
It's also a problem when other people have trouble in the same room, and post for help there. They can't control the icon, and they need help too, so this system is rendered useless for them.

I think, as a whole, we're a pretty responsive group to the H&S. A red folder is usually enough.

10-25-2006 at 12:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Hints & Solutions board topic icons (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Anyone who posts in the thread has the option to mark their post with the 'help me' icon or not. If there are any 'help me' posts in the thread, its icon is the 'help me' icon, and otherwise it's the other.
:)

10-25-2006 at 06:05 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Doh!

10-25-2006 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Kevin_P86 wrote:
And that's why I tried to come up with something simpler. Still, I think it's feasible if users are given little reminder messages when posting and in the FAQ (when it's finally updated), when one considers the competent tendencies of both our community and our mod staff. We could even (I think) make some of those who're frequent givers of advice the power to change thread icons.
zex20913 wrote:
I think, as a whole, we're a pretty responsive group to the H&S. A red folder is usually enough.
That's often true, but when I wrote the below quote, I thought of much personal experience...
Jatopian wrote: persons with less free time can help and persons don't go forever without help.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 10-27-2006 12:46 AM : It's important to punctuate "who're"...]
10-25-2006 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I think this is great idea. Whenever I feel helpful, I spend ages looking for a thread where help is still required.

Maybe an alternative would be to mark all unread posts "orange" or some such colour for the H&S board, but only mark them "red" iff the last post in that thread does not contain secret tags. This would generally be a new post, or an additional post asking for further help...
10-26-2006 at 10:19 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Syntax wrote:
I think this is great idea. Whenever I feel helpful, I spend ages looking for a thread where help is still required.

Maybe an alternative would be to mark all unread posts "orange" or some such colour for the H&S board, but only mark them "red" iff the last post in that thread does not contain secret tags. This would generally be a new post, or an additional post asking for further help...

Which means people who go

'I have figured out this much
Click here to view the secret text

But I'm stuck after that.'

Will be neglected.

I think that if we really need to improve the H&S thread, which works fine as it is, what Jatopian suggested is a good idea. I will go back on my previous post however, and say that if anyone is allowed to set it to 'Solved' and then the posts author can, if he/wishes, can set it back to 'Help Me'.

Thus the brilliant feature of this forum that enlightens people right after they post, combined with human forgetfulness, means that you don't get posts where people simply forgot to mark their post as solved.
10-26-2006 at 10:37 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well... it might be better then to allow posters to set their post to "unsolved" with any subsequent post signifying a solution. If not, the original poster should repost as "unsolved".

In that way no-one will forget to mark their posts as solved as it's not required.
10-26-2006 at 11:14 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Hints & Solutions board topic icons (to show whether person's been helped yet)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com