Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Request: for new players
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
IP: Logged
icon Request: for new players (0)  
Proabbly a bad idea to talk about this so late in the beta process, but...

I know the modified "who" box comes up on the first run of DROD, but I think ideally it should come up every time.

This is because of multiple players. If a new player comes on, then probably the first thing they will do is click Continue - and possibly ruin the other player's saved games becasue they haven't a clue what they're doing. I don't think it's very intuitive to have to click a button labelled Who to start a new player.

Ideally, a short screen should come up at the start of the game with something like "Welcome to DROD! Select your name from the list below. If your name is not on the list, choose New Player to begin a new game, or Import if you have saved a player from another installation of DROD." Essentially, this could be the current screen that pops up when you first run the program with some minor alterations.

This will then cause no confusion over whose games you are on. Still have the Who screen available of course, so players can be changed easily if necessary, but I think this will make the game far more accessible for new players.

"Oook!"
07-17-2003 at 10:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
icon Re: Request: for new players (0)  
Hmm... I see what you mean. If there's only one player, it doesn't ask who you are. If there are two or more players, it does. Interesting. I'd be irritated by having to tell DROD who I am when I'm the only player, but I'd also be irritated by someone else coming along and screwing up my progress in my hold.

Short term solution for you - add a dummy player. :)

07-17-2003 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Request: for new players (0)  
Well - clicking OK every time you load up isn't really a major hassle, although if DROD runs slowly on your machine it could become massively irritating...

Or maybe a checkbox - "Show this screen every time DROD starts."
Yeah, that would work.

Of course, if this is going to involve massive amounts of work in terms of coding forget it with the release so close, but maybe something for the future?

"Oook!"
07-17-2003 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Request: for new players
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com