Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Questionnaire
<<3456
Page 7 of 17
891011>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Re: Questionaire (0)  
Huh. So much for clearing things up. I fervently apologise to anyone I missed, and for the purposes of thuggery, I still live down in Erik's basement.

On the other hand, I doubt any of the moderators would make anyone an admin without the okay from Erik at the very least, and it's kind of a silly question anyways - it doesn't tell you very much about the person.

Matt

03-18-2005 at 05:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Mattcrampy wrote:
On the other hand, I doubt any of the moderators would make anyone an admin without the okay from Erik at the very least, and it's kind of a silly question anyways - it doesn't tell you very much about the person.
Well, that kind of was the point. At the time, it was the dumbest thing I could think of to ask so I put it in there. I figured at the time that the questionaire shouldn't be completely serious.

Before this thread turned into a discussion of fictional cats from hell, I proposed updating the questionaire. Is there any support for that? Does anyone have ideas for new and better questions?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
03-18-2005 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Questionaire (+1)  
Question Ideas: Does the end justify the means?

Do you have difficulty calling things your 'favourite'?

Sweet or savoury?

Matt

03-18-2005 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
If you could describe your personality with one word, whta would it be?

What is the strangest thing you own?

What type(s) of the Eight Intelligences are you strongest at? (Linguistic, Spatial, Logical, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, Naturalist, Musical, Kinestethic)

03-18-2005 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crystal Wings
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
icon Re: Questionaire (+2)  
Hair: Dark brown
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5ft 3
Religion: Athiest
Job/Grade/College: Year 10
Favorite Band: My Chemical Romance, Nightwish, Greenday, Within Temptation, Muse, Bullet For My Valentine, Slipknot, Evanescence, Shinwa, Gackt
Favorite Type of Music: Anything apart from dance stuff
Favorite Movie: I don't think i have one...
How long have you been playing DROD for? I've played a couple of levels, that's about it >_< I know, its terrible

03-22-2005 at 05:56 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
icon Re: Questionaire (+3)  
I had better do this then, I've been here for a few months.

Hair: Brown
Eyes: Grey
Height: about 170cm
Religion: Atheist
Job/Grade/College: 6th form college
Favorite Band: ...Muse? I have about 5 albums in my possession. I get the rest of my music from albums other people have, and that's normally only a couple of songs.
Favorite Type of Music: As long as it isn't pumping techno beatz, I'll listen to it
Favorite Movie: Mystery science theatre 3000
How long have you been playing DROD for? Ever since I first got my hands on the webfoot DROD demo
Sweet or savoury? Yes.
03-22-2005 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
Hair: Dirty Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Height: 5-3
Job/Grade/College: 8th grade
Favorite Band: Ayla (electronic trance music...very cool); but all my favorite music comes from loners.
Favorite Type of Music: Almost anything that doesn't have words
Favorite Movie: I don't watch TV
Favorite Book: Hyperspace: A scientific odyssey through parallel universes, time warps, and the 10th dimension
Favorite Author: Michio Kaku
How long have you been playing DROD for? I started it four years ago but only started playing recently, so probably a year.
Ever beat DROD? Duhhuh
If not, how far are you? n/a
Should Erik or Clayton make you an Admin? I don't want the responsibility. I want to stay a goblin!
Cat or Dog person: I'm a cat person.
Origin of Username: I'm a chemistry geek, it rhymes when spoken letter/number by letter/number, and its a very cool chemical.

[Edited by SbCl3 at Local Time:03-26-2005 at 10:54 PM]
03-26-2005 at 10:50 PM
Malarame
SbCl3 wrote:
Origin of Username: I'm a chemistry geek, it rhymes when spoken letter/number by letter/number, and its a very cool chemical.
So what chemical is that, anyway? I only took a semester of chem freshman year, so I don't know that much about it.

-Groucho Marx
03-27-2005 at 07:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Antimony Trichloride, unless it has some fancy name atached to it.

I really shouldn't know almost all of the elements on the periodic table.

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:03-27-2005 at 07:16 PM]
03-27-2005 at 07:15 PM
MasterGiga
Rank Points: 67
I guess I'll do this...but I can't give an answer for every question.

Location: Danville, Georgia, USA(Not exactly one of the best places to be...)
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brownish-Black (maybe just brown...)
Height: 5'6"
Job/Grade/College: College: Computer Programming
Favorite Type of Music: Anything that sounds good to me. Usually, Trance, Techno, and BGM found in several of my favorite video games...
Favorite Book: The novelette I'm writing, Zyha (sorry if that doesn't count)
Favorite Author: Again, me. (sorry if that doesn't count either)
How long have you been playing DROD for? Maybe 4 or 5 months
Ever beat DROD? YES! Twice, playing all the way through KDD.
Should Erik or Clayton make you an Admin? Probably not...heh heh
Cat or Dog person: Neither, but I'd prefer cats.
Origin of Username: Complicated, but it originated from my novelette...or work in progress.

And Favorite Game: It really is DROD. What other games allow you to play, edit and submit dungeons online? Not many. :D
Favorite DROD Song: Nightwalk from AE and Iceworks from JtRH (all of them).

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:05-27-2005 at 09:52 PM]

03-27-2005 at 11:03 PM
SbCl3
Rank Points: 61
wackhead_uk wrote:
Antimony Trichloride, unless it has some fancy name atached to it.

I really shouldn't know almost all of the elements on the periodic table.

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:03-27-2005 at 07:16 PM]

You know them too? *me memorized the periodic table completely...i can tell a symbol or element when theres a number or any combination like that*
03-29-2005 at 05:09 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
I think it will serve you better to memorise them in the form of The Elements song.

"Oook!"
03-29-2005 at 10:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Fake Name: Rabscuttle
Age: Negative negative 2353 weeks, 3 days, give or take GMT time.
Hair: blond/brown
Eyes: blue
Height: about yay-high
Occupation: I work in an internet cafe, and I am at university studying for a Master of Actuarial Studies.
How long have you been playing DROD: I first played the webfoot demo back in the mists of times long past. Some years later I thought of it again for some reason, searched for it - "game kill roach sword" - and found I could play the whole thing, which I did. Then I left it for a year, remembered it again, came back and got AE, defeated it again and joined ye forum.
Beaten It? KDD and JtRH have been smited most verily.
Favourite Level: In KDD, probably level 21. In JtRH, I'm not sure yet.
Favourite language: Perl
Favourite book: Watership Down by Richard Adams. It is also the origin of my forum name, as it was next to the computer when I was trying to think of a name.
Favourite beverage: Chocolate banana smoothie.
Favourite music: Comedic songs - Weird Al, Tom Lehrer, Flanders and Swann, Monty Python, etc
Do you know the Elements song?: Of course!

04-09-2005 at 04:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
Saw this thread and thought "hmm...essential part of every single forum on the net"

Location: Indeana (but I'm FROM massacheusettes [which I still can't spell])
Hair: brown
Eyes: brown
Height: 6' 2"
College: Purdue University - freshman
Favorite Band: DC Talk
Favorite Type of Music: All of it, but especially barbershop
Favorite Movie: LOTR trilogy, Princess Bride (weird, I know, but it's a great movie!)
Favorite Book(s): Hitchikers guide to the galaxy, stranger in a strange land, ender's game, ender's shadow, all of tom clancy's classics (esp. hunt for the red october), i robot (the book, NOT the movie), the prince (by machiavelli...I have to add this one not because I like/agree with it, but because it is fun (fun isn't quite the right word) to figure out what parts I REALLY disagree with)
Favorite Author: Robert Heinlein, Orson Scott Card, Isaac Asimov, H.G. Wells, oh so many more....
How long have you been playing DROD for? Ever since I was a wee babe I dreamt of being a smiter. It didn't become a reality until last year though. :D
Ever beat DROD? How can you call yourself a smiter without clearing Dugan's dungeon at least 20 times?????
If not, how far are you? 20 times!!!
Should Erik or Clayton make you an Admin? :glasses
04-20-2005 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Chalks wrote:
Favorite Movie: Princess Bride (weird, I know, but it's a great movie!)

Not weird at all! Definitely a movie worthy of being #1 on a list somewhere. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-20-2005 at 08:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Cool, Jon! All the stuff you mention here is great. Did you beat Dugan's Dungeon twenty times?!
Chalks wrote:
the prince (by machiavelli...I have to add this one not because I like/agree with it, but because it is fun (fun isn't quite the right word) to figure out what parts I REALLY disagree with)
I just read The Prince myself. An interesting read. In the edition I have, after describing how Lenin, Stalin, Mussolini and Hitler religiously studied this text, the author of the introduction states, "The Prince...may therefore throw some light on the origin if not the solution of our major political problems" :huh

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-21-2005 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
Chalks wrote:
Location: Indeana (but I'm FROM massacheusettes [which I still can't spell])
I just now realized that I can't spell Indiana either...

mrimer wrote:
Cool, Jon! All the stuff you mention here is great. Did you beat Dugan's Dungeon twenty times?!
Actually, it was closer to ten (really long summer), but 20 sounded better. :D

(second edit to explain the first edit which was for formating something... :huh )

[Edited by Chalks at Local Time:04-21-2005 at 07:36 AM]

[Edited by Chalks at Local Time:04-21-2005 at 07:37 AM]
04-21-2005 at 07:36 AM
Sasami
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Hair: depends on my mood ^^
Height: 170 cm
Job/Grade/College: Microbiologist
Favorite Band: B'z
Favorite Type of Music: Classic Rock, J-rock ^^
Favorite Movie: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead
Favorite Book: Ringworld, Neuromancer, Dune, Feersum Endjinn
Favorite Author: Larry Niven
How long have you been playing DROD for? A year and a half I think
Ever beat DROD? twice ^^
Should Erik or Clayton make you an Admin? Don't know if I am capable ^^
05-11-2005 at 10:20 AM
MasterGiga
Rank Points: 67
Sasami wrote:
Ever beat DROD? twice ^^
quote]

Hey, its princess Sasami! :D

Sorry, I had to say it...but anyway, are you into Anime, at all...even just a tiny bit? (speaking to Aleksandra)

05-11-2005 at 01:17 PM
Sasami
MasterGiga wrote:

Sorry, I had to say it...but anyway, are you into Anime, at all...even just a tiny bit? (speaking to Aleksandra)

Yes I am, for quite some time now. It's a very old nickname, but all my friends still call me like that ^^.
05-11-2005 at 03:52 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Hair: Ranging from albino blond to light brown, depending on the weather
Height: 180 cm
Job/Grade/College: Computer programmer
Favorite Band: Marillion, Rhapsody
Favorite Type of Music: Sympho
Favorite Movie: NI!
Favorite Book: Amber Decalogy, by Roger Zelazny
Favorite Author: See above, or Terry Pratchett
How long have you been playing DROD for? Don't recall exactly, probably about four years.
Ever beat DROD? Beat the Webfoot edition, now three rooms shy of mastering JTRH.
Should Erik or Clayton make you an Admin? No, because I'd go and terrori- oh, wait, I am an admin.

Oh goody, more quantifiable questions quoted.
Favourite Level: In Descent, 11 because of the music. Oh wait, about DROD... the first one with the brains. In JTRH, the Mud echo of DROD level 8
Favourite language: C++, although I have a certain fondness for Piet, Ook and similar junk
Favourite beverage: 'buca
Do you know the Elements song?: Yup, learned in chem class. Used to know a couple lines (no not all of them) by heart
Cat or Dog person: Preferably with mustard.
Origin of Username: Old nickname by a friend of mine. He never intended it as a nick but it stuck.

And Favorite Game: Tough one, differs by when you ask. Loom (and TSOMI) is something I replay yearly. Various puzzles come to mind, including Lemmings 2 (and DROD). Descent, certainly. Rayman, too. Whatever.

[Edited by Radiant at Local Time:05-11-2005 at 10:54 PM]

05-11-2005 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Radiant wrote:
Favorite Book: Amber Decalogy, by Roger Zelazny
Favorite Author: See above, or Terry Pratchett

Hey! I just finished reading the Amber series for the first time a week ago or so. I liked it very much...and I can't believe it took me this long to read them! I saw they were offering the first 5 books combined in one from the Science Fiction Book Club, and I decided to pick it up ($15 I think), and it was excellent, so I got the second quintet for the same price. Very well done!

Oh, and Pratchett is excellent too.

Should Erik or Clayton make you an Admin? No, because I'd go and terrori- oh, wait, I am an admin.

Well, not to be picky, but you're a moderator, not an admin. There are some administrative functions on the board that you don't have access to...but the terrorizing potential is definitely still there!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-11-2005 at 10:57 PM
HappyMutant
Rank Points: 36
Descent, certainly.
When I was in high school (I just finished my thrid year of college), I had something close to addiction to Descent 3. I'd get restless if I went without playing for 24 or hours or so, and had frequent aural and infrequent visual hallucinations - usually of the GuideBot. Best first-person shooter I've ever played. :D

Of course, since I got used to, and eventually jaded by Descent, every other FPS is pretty darn boring.

05-15-2005 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HappyMutant
Rank Points: 36
Name: Matt
Hair: Dark, dark brown, so that it looks black in most light. Also, I keep it short, it it poofs out all over. It's very thick, and very soft, and very fuzzy.
Height: 5'11"
What's up? The cross product of forward and left.
Job/Grade/College: Just finished year three of my Math & Computer Science undergradate degree.
Ever beat DROD? Yes, AE and JtRH.

Favorite Type of Music: Varies with mood between symphonic, happy hardcore (techno), jazz, and certain flavors of whatever you call the kind of music made by the bands I like.

Favorite Bands: Dave Matthews Band, They Might Be Giants, Barenaked Ladies, Blues Traveler

Favorite Movies: The Shawshank Redemption and The Princess Bride.

Favorite Book: The Mars trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson. Or, perhaps, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Heinlein.

Favorite Authors: Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett. Or maybe Heinlein. Feynmann's stuff is great in a different way, and Asimov is amazing. I also like Kim Stanley Robinson's books.

Do you hate naming 'favorites'? Yes, a bit. :)

How long have you been playing DROD? I picked up Caravel DROD before AE came out, and quit on the 3-tar-mother room, several years ago. I started playing again last summer, when I was at a math research program with bibelot. (Unsurprisingly, he's very good at math.)

Favorite Language: C. I use Perl often, but C's my native tounge, and is much more elegant.

Favorite Game: Go, played face-to-face; but I don't know anyone locally who plays. Hex is great face-to-face, and my friends have been able to pick it up. Oh, DROD and Tetris are nice, too, as well as numerous works of interactive fiction.

Intelligence: Logical, by far.

Proudest moment(s): All have to do with Destination Imagination, most are too involved to explain. The three events that stand out most were winning very well, losing very well, and coming in sixth place.
05-15-2005 at 12:57 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Well, it's about time I update some of this information. Plus, I can add answers to all of the strange new questions and add some that sound cool. Besides, I'm also considering this a fancy version of saying "BUMP" for users both old and new.

Name: Patrick Fisher
Hair: Ten months out of twelve, it's fairly long and curly. Two months out of twelve, it's short. Twelve months out of twelve it's brown.
Height: About 5'11.5" I'm really tempted to say 6' even, but that's no fun.
Job/Grade/College: Finished High School.
Favorite Type of Music: You name the genre, I probably have it. It tends to lean more on eighties rock, however.
Favorite Bands: Rush, Motley Crue, Tommy Lee (His solo album is amazing), the Outfield, the Fratellis, the Killers, Johnny Cash, Def Leppard, GNR.
Favorite Movies: I haven't watched any really good movies recently. Hoodwinked is a good movie, though. Comedies usually end up on my good side.
Favorite Book: I'd be lying if I said I read a lot. Writing tends to be more my style.
Favourite Language: Well, I barely know any (A touch of C, a whole lot of BASIC, and a fair amount of Python), but of them, I'll say Python. And English.
Favourite Game: Since I'm on the DROD forums, I doubt I have to mention it, so otherwise, I'll go with Half-Life 2, Team Fortress Classic, The Ship, DN: Manhatten Project (Sidescrollers rule!), DoD Source, Goldeneye: Source, UT2004, and any of the SimCity series.

Do you hate naming 'favorites'? Yes. I'm not big on putting labels on people or things.
Does the end justify the means? All the time. No guts, no glory.
Sweet or savory? Savory. Definitely.
If you could describe your personality with one word, what would it be? Tough call. I'd go with either "Hungry" or "Active", but they kinda go together. Anyone on my MSN will know that I sometimes drift off, and 99/100 times I'm getting myself some food. I'm also huge on staying active and keeping fit.
What is the strangest thing you own? I own the set of three 7-11 Brainfreeze Slurpee Straws. They came out in the late 90's and I ended up getting the whole set somehow. Really good for attacking those Slurpees that you leave in the freezer overnight, and they look flat-out like the coolest things ever.
Which one of the Eight Intelligences are you? I'm a very spatial person. I have a hard time understanding things unless I see a drawing of them.
Three things you probably don't know about me are... -I've been almost fully converted into the world of legal music. As far as I know, I'm probably the only person in my generation who can say this.
-I was born in Saskatoon, Sask, and lived there for 11 years of my life.
-I have a weird ability to be able to do exceedingly well on tests in classes that I barely pay any attention to or do any assignments for.
Proudest moment(s): -Being on a team that won the Regional One Act drama festival.
-Managing to convert to and make Linux my main OS for almost five months.
-Running a DROD contest without pulling any of my hair out.

Ever beat DROD? AE, JtRH, and TCB. SS holds are much too hard for me. Curse you, Perfection!
Favourite KDD level? Toughie, but I'll go with L24, Regis.
Favourite JtRH level? Without any doubt, it goes to L20.
Favourite TCB Level? Twenty Fifth Level! Seriously though, probably the one with the speed potions. I'm probably the only person to enjoy 4N1W
Least favourite KDD level? Too many to choose... but L15 as I still haven't completed it.
Least Favourite JtRH level? I hated many at the start, but after completing the rooms, I didn't mind them as much. Still, L16 sticks out in my mind.
Least Favourite TCB Level? The Oremite one. Despise doesn't even describe my anger at that level.
How long have you been playing DROD?About 6-7 years on and off via the Webfoot DROD demo. The last four years consistently.
What makes DROD so great in your opinion? Ooh...the fact that I can leave the room to grab some food without having to pause it or worry about getting killed! Nah, it's just the fact that it makes you see things in different ways, both in real life and in-game.
What makes the forums so great? The people here are awesome, and there never seems to be any trolls or spammers that get away with what they do. Plus, I can always look forward to hearing intelligent arguements rather then "ur teh suxx0rs, thats why".
Why should/shouldn't you become an admin? Man, the second people give me access to this website, I'll be selling ads and putting them on the front page, along with turning it into my own personal blog.

What? I do have access? Well, um, ignore that last comment then.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 07-11-2007 01:53 AM]
05-27-2005 at 02:48 AM
Necro244
ok this questionare thing seems good. Here it goes.

Hair: Blonde (bleached) soon to be light blue or dark red.
Favorite Band: Blink 182
Favorite Music: Anything really hard or slow. Hate rap
Favorite Book: Brothers in Arms.
Hobbies: Talking to my girlfriend in California, KoL.
Favorite Element: Fire (pyromaniac here)
Hate: Rap music, when my computer screws up. School.
Enjoy: Role-playing (D&D)
Grade: 6th

That is all I can think of now.

05-27-2005 at 02:04 PM
DeamonMonkey
Rank Points: 27
icon Re: Questionaire (+4)  
Hair: Blondish
Height: 6' ish
Religion: Athiest
Job/Grade/College: Ski Shop/just finished 11th/ MSU or Colorado School of Mines (hopefully)
Favorite Band: Cake, Guns 'n' Roses, Jack Johnson
Favorite Type of Music: Not Country, Not Pop
Favorite Movie: Lord of the Rings, Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail, Momento (spelling?)
Favorite Book: Oh Man, Ender's Game, Dune, A Song of Ice and Fire Series, Harry Potter :rolleyes
Favorite Author: Don't make me choose...

How long have you been playing DROD for?: It's been on my computer for a year, maybe... but I just Strated playing again in the past month

Ever beat DROD?: Just did!

Cat or Dog person: Dogs, and cats that act like dogs

Origin of Username: I have no idea, I've been using it since Middle School and I still like it...

What is your ultimate goal in life?: Play, work just hard enough to let me play in the outdoors. That's not quite right, but I have trouble expressing it in words...

Favourite Game: DROD, Wizardry 8, Diablo II

Sweet or savoury? I like sweet and sour chicken

If you could describe your personality with one word, what would it be? "Out-There" both in the fact that I'm usually thinking of something different than everyone else, and that I enjoy the outdoors, and spend much of my time out there.

Three things you probably don't know about me are...
-I'm a Telemark Skier www.telemarktips.com
-I'm riding for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
-I can't spell to save my life...but you already picked up on that

Proudest moment(s):
-Leading a 5.9 climb for the first time
-Finishing my Junior year, along with the SAT, ACT, and AP US History tests
-Impressing a backcountry ski guide after less than a year on Tele Skis

What makes DROD so great in your opinion?
Everything you need to know is right in front of you. The game teaches you how things work, but makes you figure them out. If that makes sense. Plus I like solving puzzels.

What makes the forums so great?
Obviously the Hints and Solutions Board :D

Why shouldn't you become an admin? I would horribly abuse my power. :thumbsup
05-27-2005 at 11:19 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Ahh, why not.

Hair: blond
Eyes: bluen
Height: what?? You expect me to know your strange measuringsystem? :) I suppose I am around ehh... 5 feet? That sounds pretty short... even shorter than I actually am. Anyway I am 165 cm.
Religon: I have my own model :). If you think it´s funny to belive in a soul (which I do) I think the only logical theory would be reincarnation where the purpose of life is to evolve. (By the way I do not belive in matter. As I see it it would be vastly improbable that both matter and souls would have sprung into existence. So I guess that makes life and the universe some kind of a collective dream by the souls interacting in it.)
Ocupation: I am in my third year of becoming a master of science in technical physics. (The fact that I don´t belive in matter doesn´t stop me from wanting to learn about it. I want to know what laws it is that gouverns this life.)
Favourite band: I don´t know... Nightwish is good, and Beetles, and Loreena McKennit.
Favourite movie: Leon is a very good movie
Favourite book: Stranger in a strange land. I also read a lot of fantasy. I even try to write fantasy.
Favourite author: Well... maybe Tolkien. After all he led me in to my greatest passion: fantasy!

I have beaten both DROD AE and JTRH and I absolutley love the game! Logic is fun and there´s nothing like the thrill of solving a challange. Also I love to play social strategic games like Settlers of Catan and Puerto Rico.
05-28-2005 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
Name: silver Harloe. That isn't the name I was born with, but a nice judge in Travis county signed my paperwork and it's been my name since I was 21. He did notice the lowercase 's' and asked if it was intentional. I said, "Yes, Your Honor," and so it's legally and officially 'silver' with a lowercase 's'. I had been going by 'silver' since I was 15, and changed my last name to "adopt" the fellow who was around when I was growing up, rather than the random sperm donor I've never met (he left my mom when I was around two years old. I hear I have a half-brother somewhere. odd.)

Location: Austin, TX. Although if all goes well, then within a month of this post, it will be Seattle, WA.

Age: 34 at the time of this post. I was September 27th, 1970. I like that birth day because it's 3^2 3^3. If I could tolerate being 11 years younger (which gets easier to contemplate now that 'my age minus 11' is still adultish), then definitely 3^2 3^3 3^4 would have been better.

Hair: Dark brown, easily mistakable for black in club lighting. I had green streaks when I was 25 or so. Now I have a peppering of grey hair. My hair currently extends to the low end of my shoulder blades.

Eyes: Deep brown and very very nearsighted. But I have stylish glasses and another pair with the exact same frames but as prescription shades.

Gender: Male. Despite the cute kitty picture, or my use of the name 'silverkitty' on forums where 'silver' is already allocated to some other person. The kitty picture is, incidentally, a picture of my actual cat, Mite.

Height/Weight: 5'10-11" (177 cm). I am also around 190 pounds (86 kg), which is a bit more than I would like, but much healthier than when I was 140 pounds (63.5 kg) in college and you could count my ribs at a distance.

Body Modifications: No tattoos, but I do have an extra hole in the piece of cartilage known as the 'rook' of my left ear, with a small metal ring in it. I got that when I was 25 or so and haven't changed it, though I did once replace the ring because the old one was, well, old.

Job/Grade/College: Unemployed and looking for work. I'm a Perl/Java programmer extraoridinaire with 10 years of experience. I did receive a BA in Mathematics from the University of Texas (in Austin) in 1992.

Favorite Stuff: Varies too often, based on mood and such.

* books: The sci-fi/fantasy books I've reread the most are Lord of Light and Creatures of Light and Darkness by Roger Zelazny (these are whence I derived the idea for Zelazny's Law (see below)). Greg Egan's futures, though, seem more plausible to me than the futures discussed by most other science fiction authors. The book I'm mostly likely to try to foist on someone is Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett. I have become philosophically a functionalist due to him.

* music: All my music is on small, obscure labels and generally involves no one ruining the soundscape with any of that silly singing stuff.

* movies: The first dvd I ever owned was Gattaca. But I love all kinds of movies, even bad ones.

* tv: The new Battlestar Galactica kicks ALL the ass available to kick, and then goes around and re-kicks some of the better ass. Before that I was a big fan of Babylon 5. I also have all the Stargate: SG-1 and Smallville DVDs, but the latter is a bit too teen angsty to be truly great (for sufficiently large definitions of 'bit').

Cats or Dogs? Do you really have to ask?

emacs or vi? Emacs, of course. I'm a programmer, not an administrator. But in my heart of hearts I want to rewrite Emacs in Perl with Perl instead of Lisp as the extension language.

Pirate? In the 'Puzzle Pirates' sense, yes. I am odd in that I own no illegal copies of software. Anywhere. I have even registered or deleted all my shareware. And it's been like this for a long time. I'm probably the only person you've heard of who registered PKZip. And I bought (outright, from my own pocket) Photoshop.

Drugs: Caffeine! I drink Dr Pepper almost exclusively. I also imbibe lots of ethanol (mostly in the form of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum, but I love vodka, cabarnets, and good sake as well). I am currently addicted to nicotine (and I'm a dumbyhead. I didn't start smoking until I was 27. See my quote below.) I am rare in my generation: I have not consumed any illegal drugs. Ever. Except I'm also not stuck up about it, I hang out with people who are altered all the time. Before I was a smoker, I owned ashtrays for guests who smoked. I'm weird that way.

Religion: Emacs! But, more seriously: I am an atheist (of the strict, "nothing supernatural" sort) and also a Taoist (my current signature is a play on the first line of the Tao Te Ching). This is not a contradiction. Raymond Smullyan wrote (this is a paraphase): "The religious person feels obligated to save the atheist from a terrible afterlife. The atheist feels obligated to save the religious person from a terrible life in the name of something that they believe will never happen. The Taoist cheerfully lives his life in accordance with the Tao unconcerned with whether the Tao exists or not."

In case my signature changes before you read this, the one referenced in the paragraph above reads "The signature I could write here would not be my true signature". Though I should probably say "The signature I could sign here would not be my true signature." Then it would more clearly follow the usage of Tao as noun AND verb.

Someone once observed to me that atheists talk more about God than religious people. I replied that this is because they're a suppressed minority. Look to standup comedy. Who does more jokes about race? Minority comics. Who does more jokes about homosexuality? Gay comics. This is a reflection of reality. You are more likely to hear about how white people suppress black people from a black person. On average, I mean. There are always exceptions. Similiarly with atheism, you are more likely to hear about how The State claims no religion but makes everyone take oaths on the Bible from an atheist. Were atheists the majority, I'm sure religious people would be more concerned with discussing why they are being suppressed.

Travel: Draw (in your mind is fine) a triangle where the points are Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. Take my entire life of 34 years and compress all the time I've spent outside that triangle into one chunk. That chunk is less than 6 months long. I don't get out much. The furthest south I've been is a bordertown of Mexico (less than 5 hours out of country). One time I drove to Baltimore for a weekend (with 2 other people driving. We took shifts). I spent a week in the Ozark mountains. I've been to Denver twice (3 weeks total. I had an aunt who lived there). I used to drive to Dallas a lot. If I get this job and move to Washington, that will be rather extreme for me, from a travel point of view.

Quotes: Some people quote me. I dunno why. Or maybe I like to pretend they would. In either case, these are some of the more notable things I've written and/or said:

* on Puzzle Pirates: "The ocean is a dangerous place, wear a life jacket."

* on OS wars: "All operating systems suck. Each sucks in its own unique way."

* on Taoism: "Taoism is looking at the universe and seeing the melody instead of the notes."

* on committees: "The intelligence of a committee is the sum of the intelligences of the members of the committee, divided by the number of members in the committee." Though I have to change this one based on a recent modification by a forum member here.

* on translation: "The translation problem is of a higher order than the 'general intelligence' problem." While you can get bad machine translation now, you will never get good machine translation until we have generically intelligent machines. And then you'll have to meet one that wants to be a translator.

* on my smoking: "I started smoking when I moved to Houston. Mostly as an excuse to get a filter between me and the air." Houston is that bad. I also refer to 1997-1999 as "my two year mistake in Houston." I ran back to Austin as fast as I could. But I did have twice as much sex in Houston, oddly.

* on science fiction: Clarke's Law states, "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." I have proposed a corrollary, which I call Zelazny's Law: "Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from godhood." (magic, of course, meant in the sense of Clarke's Law).

Ever beat DROD? I beat KDD in 9 days of elapsed time and 6 days of play time, which I believe is the record at the time I'm posting this. I have mastered JtRH, but not in anything like a record. I have, incidentally, also mastered all the "prime" levels in SubTerra (and, at the time of this post, am the only person besides the author to have done that).

How long have you been playing DROD? I found it in August 2004, so not long.

Why should/shouldn't you become an admin? I don't have time for additional responsibility (I mean, technically, I don't have a job right now, but I expect to get one soon or else I have to consider more final solutions to my financial problems).

What are you secretly working on? "The maximum number of people who can keep a secret is precisely one". However, I have not officially announced many projects that take some of my noodle time, such as my book on I18n methods and practices, my way too big hold for DROD ("Chasm City", the city built into the walls of a chasm), my scenario for Blades of Avernum (which is less of a secret on this forum than on the BoA forums, where I haven't mentioned it), a game or three I keep wishing I could write, a Go implementation for Game Gardens, and my really s3kr3t plans to modify DROD by fnord with fnord.

--

A couple of things I mentioned would be bad forum ettiquette to follow up to here. I've reposted this to LJ ( http://www.livejournal.com/users/silverharloe/3512.html ) which is the canonically correct place to follow up to whatever I've said here. If you follow up there, please include your DROD forum name somewhere in the message so I know who you are (LJ "guest" follow ups should be allowed, I think/hope, if you don't have an LJ account).

[Edited by silver at Local Time:05-29-2005 at 02:26 AM]

05-29-2005 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Wow... 2 years and 213 replies later, this thread is still going strong. I guess I should update the information about me, since a lot has changed in these past 2 years.

Hair: Brown
Height: 5'6" - 167.6cm
Job/Grade/College: Sophmore at Webb Institute
Favorite Band: The Moody Blues
Favorite Song: Emily's Song by The Moody Blues
Favorite Type of Music: Classic rock
Favorite Movie: I have lots of favorite movies... The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Shrek, The Emperor's New Groove, anything by Quentin Tarentino, Donnie Darko, and a bunch of others that I can't think of right now.
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Favorite Author: Frank Herbert
Favourite Programming Language: Visual Basic for Applications. I use it all the time with Excel and it's extremelly useful for a lot of my classes.

Do you hate naming 'favorites'? Not at all. It's normal to have favorites.

Does the end justify the means? Sometimes. It depends entirely on the situation. In general, I can't stand it when people make blanket statements and say that something is always true (unless it's an axiom or something).

How long have you been playing DROD for? Gosh, I can't say. I found it on HotU while it was still Webfoot DROD, and it was a few weeks later that Caravel DROD was released. I was on level 8 of Webfoot DROD and I had to start over, but it was worth it. I remember thinking about how lucky I was that the new version was released just as I found it.

I remember one night a couple days after I found DROD. I was on level 2, 2S1E, and I was having so much trouble with the room. It must have taken me an hour just to beat that one room. Every time I'd get close, I'd make a wrong move and a roach would kill me (remember, this was before checkpoints or undoing a move). After I beat KDD some time later, I went back and played that room again and beat it on the first try. I barely even had to think about it. It gave me such a feeling of accomplishment... I truly knew I'd gotten so much better.

Ever beat DROD? I've beated KDD, but I'm still working on JtRH. I'm just about done with it, but I haven't been able to play in over a month (schoolwork takes precedence). I hope to finish it up once the semester ends and I have more free time.

If not, how far are you? Just about done with JtRH.

Should Erik or Clayton make you an Admin? I was an Admin at one time, and I think we all remember the Great Admin Wars that resulted. I still have trouble eating solid food and I still sometimes wake up in the middle of the night due to flashbacks. It was hell I tell you... hell. I don't think anyone wants to repeat that *shivers*

Cat or Dog person: Dogs. I never found cats to be any fun at all. All they do is sit around all day and eat. Dogs are always willing to play with you.

Origin of Username: Look for my reply here

What is your ultimate goal in life? To be happy. I want nothing more and nothing less.

Favourite Game: Planescape: Torment. I've never played a game that was so beautifully written and so thought-provoking, not to mention fun.

Sweet or savoury? Depends partially on my mood, but generally sweet.

If you were to be trapped on a desert island with one person, who would you choose? The person I'm currently in love with.

Three things you probably don't know about me are...
1. I slept with a stuffed animal named Bernard (it was a St. Bernard) until I was about 7 or 8.
2. My favorite comic strip is Non Sequitur.
3. My biggest secret in the world is that I am a

What makes DROD so great in your opinion? Well, DROD is a great game in its own right. However, I probably would have grown tired of it and stopped playing it long ago if it weren't for the community. Seriously, this is, without a doubt, the greatest forum I've ever found. Everyone here is so nice and so considerate and so friendly... completely unlike most forums. It continually amazes me that there are no trolls, no profanity, no "adult" topics, no flame wars, no bickering, etc. This truly is a family-friendly place, and I feel like I'm a part of a special club by being a regular here.

What makes the forums so great? See above.

-Groucho Marx
05-29-2005 at 04:25 AM
<<3456
Page 7 of 17
891011>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Questionnaire
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes