Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Questionnaire
Page 5 of 17
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon Re: Questionaire (0)  
joker5 wrote:
Aliens stole my babysitter! No, really, they did!
~joker5

what they really did was *eat* the babysitter (Keen 6)
02-23-2004 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RubellaGolda
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
icon Re: Questionaire (+2)  
Hair/Eyes: Brown/Brown
Height: 59.3 attoparsec
Grade: PhD physics
Favorite Band: Lots have past; but I guess Marillion will stay close to be my favorite. A few other highlights: Cynic, Rachmaninov, Dark Tranquility.
Favorite Type of Music: Symphonic in a broad sense
Favorite Movie(s): Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Favorite Book(s): A few out of the bookcase of my mind: Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Dune by Herbert, Night's Dawn Trilogy by Hamilton, In the Name of the Rose by Eco.
Favorite Games: DROD, Myst, Carcassone (boardgame), Lowenherz (boardgame), Call of Cthulhu (roleplaying)
How long have you played DROD?: a few months now
Beaten it?: nope, currently at the sixteenth level
Favorite Level: I rather liked the eight level
Least Favorite Level: sixth
Administrator?: Is that a job offer?
Dumbest thing ever: forgot that one (or two)
Favorite thing to do: Alpine skiing, playing boardgames
Day or Night: Wait, I'll go and check....day for now.
Cat or Dog: Cat
What does RubellaGolda mean?: Its an anagram for "Dolle Bulgaar", which is dutch for something like "raving mad Bulgarian". This has nothing to do with Bulgaria or its inhabitants, it was a nickname I got when I hit the 80 km/h mark on my very first day of downhill skiing (yes I managed to come to a stop in a controlled manner).
Desert Island Companion: yes, a female please.
What color does a smurf turn when it chokes on something? :
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite TV show(s): Farscape at the moment.
Favorite Muppet: Beaker
How many more questions can you think of?: 3.6
02-24-2004 at 09:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
Sweet, someone else has heard of Call of Cthulhu! Honestly, Cthulhu has the best attack ever. For those who aren't familiar with the game, Cthulhu is the final enemy, and his attack is "kill 1D6 players"

02-24-2004 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RubellaGolda
Hm, I doubt we are thinking about the same game. in Chaosiums role playing game Call of Cthulhu, there is no "final" enemy, only more unspeakable cosmic horrors.

02-24-2004 at 08:04 PM
DiMono
Ever beaten Cthulhu? I'd call him pretty final :) On the other hand, if there is no kill 1D6 players attack in the game you're referring to, then we are thinking of different games.

02-24-2004 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

Ah well, at least it isn't kill 1d20 players.

Better yet, convert 1d20 players to dominated Cthulus. That would sting.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-25-2004 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RubellaGolda
One cannot defeat the unspeakable horrors of the Cthulhu mythos, if you are very lucky you might be able to run away and have terrible nightmares for the short life that is left for you in an asylum.
:crazy (is there a smiley in a straightjacket?)
02-25-2004 at 09:14 AM
DiMono
Closest I can find is :ninja

02-25-2004 at 02:13 PM
joker5
Yeah, that's why I stay away from Cthulu. In just about every game(console, tabletop, what have you) you're lucky to die within 30 minutes, gibbering in fear. If you're unlucky you'll plunge into madness and/or be tormented for eternity and then eaten.

~joker5

02-25-2004 at 03:22 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Usually, with most games, I only need half an hour, without the help files, to let me be pretty good at a game.

Anyone like Crusaders of Might and Magic?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-25-2004 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Usually, with most games, I only need half an hour, without the help files, to let me be pretty good at a game. quote]

You don't happen to have a trumpet by any chance? :P
02-25-2004 at 07:12 PM
sims5000
Rank Points: 117
you forgot to put the [/ on quote
02-25-2004 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Pardon the l33t and but...

Hawk you f3w1! Don't you know that the manual and tutorials contain many little intricacies that affect your gameplay so dramadically even the uninitated can tell between a gamer who reads manuals and one who doesn't?

The manuals contain all the information you can give to a newbie at once. Granted, it's not everything but it's still a darn lot. There are many games (x-com terror from the deep, a cheap UFO Enemy Unknown ripoff, to name one). That and they sometimes contain passwords, or at least codes, which you can lord over your non-lifeless friends who aren't quite as good as you. Or you can share and look cool.

~joker5

02-26-2004 at 12:27 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Usually, all those "little intricacies" aren't important enough to interfere with you being a good player because they're "little". And I don't like codes, because I don't think it's right to get what you haven't earned.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-26-2004 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Neither do I. But the intricacies I'm talking about is stuff like, say, SimCity 2000's little hints about stuff like keeping a positive cash flow.

~joker5

02-27-2004 at 12:29 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
joker5 wrote:
Neither do I. But the intricacies I'm talking about is stuff like, say, SimCity 2000's little hints about stuff like keeping a positive cash flow.

~joker5

Isn't that sort of obvious?

It's a bit hard to continue a city's development if you're losing money all the time.

02-29-2004 at 08:37 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
agaricus5 wrote:
joker5 wrote:

~joker5

Isn't that sort of obvious?

It's a bit hard to continue a city's development if you're losing money all the time.

I think he was referring to hints about how to keep a positive cash flow, not hints telling you it's a good idea.

02-29-2004 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
Name: Andre Kormendi
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Height: 6'4"
Religion: Orthodox Agnostic
Grade: Eternally Self-Educating Without Having Finished My Thesis for my Undergraduate degree in Philosophy from Alma College in Alma, MI a teensy liberal arts school.
Favourite Types of Music: I listen to everything, EVERYTHING, so long as it's not commercial radio (although I enjoy that if I hear it... I just don't listen to it, because the playlist is too limited). Although Tori Amos, Beck, Aphex Twin, Ani DiFranco, Cream, Quannum, Jurassic 5, Ben Folds Five, Modest Mouse, Beastie Boys, The Doors and Ella Fitzgerald are some of my favorites.
Favourite Computer Games: DROD, Might and Magic 4&5 (World of XEEN), Fallout 1&2, Zangband, Day of Defeat, Pendulumania, Random Freeware/Shareware
Favourite Movies: Full Metal Jacket, Spirited Away, Dr. Strangelove, Waking Life, The Big Lebowski, Better Off Dead, Pulp Fiction, Akira, High Fidelity, Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Star Wars (orig. trilogy), LOTR, Shawshank, Fight Club
Favorite Books: Gotta keep this limited, but Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson, Focault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, American Gods by Neil Gaiman, Small Gods by Terry Pratchett, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban by J.K. Rowling (the whole series is a must read though), Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan (not good as a standalone book, you'd get confused), Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov, The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien, Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu, Metamagical Themas by Douglas Hofstadler and countless others
Favourite Authors: Kurt Vonnegut, Hunter Thompson, Isaac Asimov, Robert Jordan, J.K. Rowling, Lemony Snicket, C.S. Lewis, Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, and the ones I haven't read yet.
Time playing DROD: 3 years maybe, and hundreds upon hundreds of hours.
Beaten DROD: Oh yeah
Favourite level: 25
Least Favourite level: 15
Favourite things to do: write, read, play video games, flirt, listen to music, drive, hitchhike, hike, talk
Desert island companion: Barring someone with superpowers who could fly me off, I'd just be looking for intelligence, health, and libido
Dumbest thing ever done: Started smoking cigarettes
Proudest moments: Quit smoking cigarettes (12 years later), hitchhiked by myself to the National Rainbow Gathering in 2002 and had a blast.
Day or Night person: Night, despite my best intentions
Cat or Dog person: My kitty, Dove, is my constant companion
Should I be made an admin: I already am one, bow down and show your respect, lest ye face my wrath... MUAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
What's the origin of your screen name: Many of my friends called me Dre, which became-to the bored ones- Driz, Drizzo, Rizla, etc. and I just decided to stick to Drizzo
What is your ultimate goal in life: To be a professional writer, based mostly off my own experiences, which may or may not be wilder than my books, depending on who you believe.

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-25-2004 at 09:18 PM GMT: Whew that took a while, see below...]

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-27-2004 at 09:10 AM GMT: WORLD OF XEEN]

03-25-2004 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Drizzo: I trust you are aware that you can staple Might and Magic 4 (Clouds of Xeen) to Might and Magic 5 (Darkside of Xeen) to create an entirely new game with much more depth (World of Xeen)? I only ever play these two games in this way, and I love the intro to 4.

[Edited by DiMono on 03-26-2004 at 08:16 PM GMT]

03-26-2004 at 08:15 PM
Drizzo
Yeah, I thought for some reason they both were MMIV... I really meant the World of Xeen game, I wish I still had the disks for that (although I think they corrupted long ago) that's one of those games I would gladly replay again... So free roaming, and epic and long... Yeah, I'd done clouds at least 5 times, and the whole world at least 3 more, MMIII a few times as well to boot... I don't know what went wrong with that series, but the later games were just lacking... something...

03-27-2004 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
With a little bit of effort, you should be able to track down soemthing titled "Might and Magic: Platinum Edition" (I think... M&M something Edition, for certain) which basically contains M&M 1-7 inclusive. I've got it kicking around somewhere, that's how I got my hands on M&M5

03-27-2004 at 06:47 PM
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
just found this

Hair/Eyes: 1 brown 1 blue
Height: 6'1"
Job: Supervisor Data department
Favorite Musician: Eric Clapton
Favorite Type of Music: Classic Rock, Blues
Favorite Movie(s): Clockwork Orange, The Warriors, Wizard of Oz
Favorite Book(s): too many to list
Favorite Author: Isaac Azimov
How long have you played DROD?: about a year
Beaten it?: yes
Favorite Level: ??
Administrator?: Never too much work
Dumbest thing ever: Juggling eggs in church (and dropping one on the carpet)
Proudest moments: No idea.
Favorite thing to do: sleep, play sports
Day or Night: night
Cat or Dog: allergies
What does Swann_88 mean?: Lynn Swann #88 Pittsburgh Steelers
member of the NFL hall of fame and possibly the greatest football team ever
sounded better than Lambert_56 or Ham_59
Desert Island Companion: my girlfriend
Favorite TV show(s): don't watch tv except for sports

06-25-2004 at 09:02 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Name: Patrick Fisher
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Very light, deep blue.
Height: 5'10"
Religion: Roman Catholic
Grade: 10
Favourite Types of Music: Any music that has understandable lyrics. Christian Rock, Rock, Pop, Country(If desperate)
Favourite Computer Games: DROD, Duke Nukem (1,2,3D), Jazz Jackrabbit 1&2, Half-Life(All expansions), Life and Death(Old DOS game), Generic DOS games.
Favourite Movies: Dude! Where's my car?, Passion of the Christ, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Gine in 60 Seconds.
Favourite Authors & Books: Can't say that I have any.
Time playing DROD: I first discovered DROD(Webfoot then) on a shareware CD when I was 8. After playing the first 3 levels(that's all they had), I kept playing them over and over for about a year, when I got bored of it. Then, in March 2004, I downloaded Caravel DROD
Beaten DROD: Yes
Favourite level: 24 & 25...Why aren't there more Neather levels? I liked them, except for the stupid maze!
Least Favourite level: Ugh. 15, 22, 4. I hate mimics and trapdoors.
Favourite things to do: Build, paint, draw, create, bike, rollerblade, talking to others.
Desert island companion: Female
Proudest moments: In April 2004, our school's two plays won a Drama festival and the crew and cast (I was stage crew...had to move the set on-stage in 10 minutes and take it off in 5, and it was a big set!) headed up North to the provincial festival. We didn't win there, but it was an awesome experience. Actually, pictures of it are here!
Day or Night person: Night
Cat or Dog person: Both. I train both of them to like each other
What's the origin of your screen name: Short story is that it's the same as my e-mail. Long story is that it's the name I always use in Half-Life, thus it's another "screen name" that I won't forget. Lately, I've started using 'CrazyCanuck00'.
What is your ultimate goal in life: Get married, have a good career, make lots of friends, travel somewhere exotic.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:02-24-2005 at 05:28 PM]

06-25-2004 at 09:25 PM
Drizzo
icon Re: Questionaire (+1)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Favourite Movies: Dude! Where's my car?, Passion of the Christ,

This dichotomy cracked me up.

and gave me the idea for the summer blockbuster of 2006. Dude! Where's my Christ? whaddaya think?

I'm gonna go for a walk now.... so when the demons come to take me away, they gotta catch a moving target.

06-27-2004 at 12:00 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Drizzo wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Favourite Movies: Dude! Where's my car?, Passion of the Christ,

This dichotomy cracked me up.

and gave me the idea for the summer blockbuster of 2006. Dude! Where's my Christ? whaddaya think?

Or The Passion of my Car . If you do want something along the likes of that, though, Arrogant Worms make a song called Jesus' Brother Bob that is semi-sacreligious but is a good song nonetheless. [disclaimer] BUY IT, DON'T DOWNLOAD IT [/disclaimer]

06-27-2004 at 12:34 AM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
*watches the passion of my car*

06-27-2004 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
got an email from columbia house the other day
they were advertising
the soundtrack to The Passion of Christ and Diana Krall
hows that for a good proofreading job?
06-28-2004 at 07:10 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Questionaire (+3)  
Hmm... I don't usually do this kind of stuff, but here goes:

Sex: Male
Hair: Depends on the time of the year, usually light brown
Eyes: Yes (two of them, green-gray-something-coloured)
Height: About 169cm (approx 5'7'' or 179 attolight-years)
Job/Grade/College: Math student at Helsinki University
Religion: None (Atheist)
* Language(s): Swedish (mother tongue), Finnish (adequately), English (fluently), German (poorly)
Favourite Band: Sigur Rós, maybe... ... or Massive Attack. Update: Redshift is also cool.
Favourite Type(s) of Music: Classical Music mostly, but almost anything but rap/hip hop goes
Favourite Movie(s): There are too many, but to name a few: Eraserhead, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Requiem for a Dream, Vertigo, Amores Perros, Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Favourite TV-show(s): Babylon 5, The X-Files, Monty Python's Flying Circus
Favourite Book/Author: I've read a lot of good books, but I wouldn't say that I have a favourite.
Favourite Computer Game(s): DROD, Diablo II, The Journeyman Project series (especially 2), Starcraft, Old LucasArts Adventures Update: DROD is the only game I actively play.
* Do you hate listing favourites? Yes.
* Operating system(s) in use: Mostly Gentoo Linux, but also WinXP Pro, and on some other computers Ubuntu Linux, Win 3.11/95/98SE, DOS and FreeBSD. I have vowed never to purchase/download/install Windows Vista.
* KDE or Gnome? Fluxbox.
* Vi or Emacs? nano or jEdit.
How long have you been playing DROD?: A little over 2 months Update: Over two years
Ever beat DROD?: Yes (two times, first time took me exactly a month (with no help as the forum was down)) Update: Yes, both AE, JtRH and all SmS:s (and every once in a while all available holds on the holds-board)
Favourite (KDD) Level: Hmm... Maybe level 25, but I also liked the tenth and 24th level
Are you a morning person or a night person?: Definitely a night person, speaking of which, I should probably get some sleep now...
* At what time of day do you visit the forum: Any, really. Looking at the time of my posts would probably show a relatively even distribution, with some exceptions.
Dog person or a cat person: Neither, I'm allergic to both ;) (...but seriously: cat person)
Favourite thing to do: Relax (sleep)
Proudest moments: Can't think of any
Dumbest thing I've ever done: I don't want to remember...
The origin of my screen name: It's fairly obvious :) Sometimes, however, I go by the name Kryolite, which is a mineral (if spelled with a 'c') and would loosely translate to 'cold stone' (which, according to some people, describes my personality :blink)
* Three things you probably don't know about me: 1. I'm studying at the same university as Linus Torvalds. 2. I'm gay. 3. I can build a DROD hold using only a text editor. (okay, you may already have known that)

ORANGE - Updated on Local Time:08-10-2006 at 12:17 PM

[Last edited by Stefan at 04-11-2007 01:29 PM]
07-02-2004 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Stefan wrote:

Favourite Band: Sigur Rós, maybe... ... or Massive Attack

Good taste.

07-02-2004 at 11:12 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Welcome, Stefan! :hi
I've travelled to Helsinki, and I must say that it is gorgeous there. Thanks for sharing about yourself. Good luck in school.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-02-2004 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 5 of 17
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Questionnaire
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No