Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A comment about ranking
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Bad Dog
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
IP: Logged
icon A comment about ranking (0)  
While playing JRTH, I noticed something.

Bear with me while I explain.

When more there is a tie for 1st place both people with that score get first place, and anyone who gets the second best score even if it's a tie gets second place.

This seems weird to me.

It should be that if two people tie for 1st place, they should get 1st place, and the next people who tie for a place should be in third place.

That way, it's fair to the people who got the higher place.

On level 21 3E (an efficiency room) I tied for third place even when my demo didn't make the top ten. There were more than 10 people tied for first place!

What do you think about this? Should it be changed?
08-27-2005 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: A comment about ranking (+1)  
Short answer - no, it shouldn't be changed.

The reasoning is simple - once someone gets first place, everyone can just download his demo and copy it. Or at least look at it and learn the general strategy. So, there must be some benefit to being the first person to actually get the first place score.

As for the amount of people tying for 1st not mattering for the people who got the next worst score - if this was changed, it would mean that in many rooms you have to get a perfect score to get any highscore. That would be less fair than the current system.

This is a somewhat unconventional scoring scheme, but that's because this is a somewhat unconventional high-score, in that, as mentioned above, people can copy each others scores relatively easily, and also because every room has an absolutely best possible score, but there's no upper limit on the amount of people participating, so it must remain interesting even after the first eight people got the best score.

08-27-2005 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: A comment about ranking (0)  
I've always felt that if you download a demo with, say, x moves, then, from that point on, you should only be allowed to score with demos of x-1 or less moves.

But, then, the current method requires quite a bit less book-keeping.

08-27-2005 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
icon Re: A comment about ranking (0)  
stigant wrote:
I've always felt that if you download a demo with, say, x moves, then, from that point on, you should only be allowed to score with demos of x-1 or less moves.

sometimes even just knowing the high score is enough
would you apply this to anyone who views the scores too?
08-28-2005 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A comment about ranking
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No