Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Claythro Tower - The Rooftop.
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
IP: Logged
icon Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
I have finished level 4 and am on to level 5.

I do have a complaint about the entrance in lvl 5 though. Those red doors I feel are placed badly. If they were back a little rather than right on the edge of the room it would be better.
09-24-2003 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
Click here to view the secret text

I guarantee its possible. I have a demo.

Oh, I believe you. I wasn't implying it was impossible--just that I was stuck there. I only spent about 10 tries on it before I decided I should get back to work. I'm sure I'll beat it once I start playing again...whenever that is.

I am so extremely happy that my hold is giving you and others a fun experience. I am also so extremely happy that my hold is giving you and others a hard time too. ^_^

Yeah, the only problem with giving others a hard time is that we tend not to want to play those &*^(%^^&% rooms over again. Which can make helping you playtest tough. If it wasn't for the warps I would have left the hold for others to play...at least until the full DROD:AE comes out. Then at least it will be easier to update the holds.

But yes, I am having lots of fun, in that "satisfaction at surmounting impossible odds" way.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-24-2003 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I love the layout of level 5! I don't like the challenges it's presenting, but I haven't spent enough time on it yet to request help.

09-24-2003 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
I have done 4 rooms on level 5 now but I can't see any way to complete 2N and 2N1E are they solvable?
09-24-2003 at 06:13 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
You know, I was wondering - what changed in level 1 1E? I can't see any difference from the way I remember the room - there may have been something subtle changed, but reading the announcements it seems something major should be different...

09-24-2003 at 06:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Please ignore my previous post I have completed level 5. This is a very nice hold.
09-24-2003 at 07:27 AM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
icon Re: Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
Scott wrote:
I have finished level 4 and am on to level 5.

I do have a complaint about the entrance in lvl 5 though. Those red doors I feel are placed badly. If they were back a little rather than right on the edge of the room it would be better.

I looked at it a minute, and decided that you're right. I've pulled them back a square. Also, the door to the North shouldn't even be there, because if you do go that way, you're forced to turn around because there are too many roaches there. I've changed it to force arrows pointing South.
09-24-2003 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
eytanz wrote:
You know, I was wondering - what changed in level 1 1E? I can't see any difference from the way I remember the room - there may have been something subtle changed, but reading the announcements it seems something major should be different...

Oops, my mistake. I messed up on the room coordinates I was talking about. It should've read:

-Level 1:2N1E was changed to fix a design flaw.
-Level 1:1N1E was completely redone to make a legitimate puzzle. Fun, I thought.
09-24-2003 at 06:51 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
I looked at it a minute, and decided that you're right. I've pulled them back a square. Also, the door to the North shouldn't even be there, because if you do go that way, you're forced to turn around because there are too many roaches there. I've changed it to force arrows pointing South.

I completed the room to the north from that direction,

I don't like the red doors pulled back, because that room is basically unpassable from that point. But then again, it's bad design to have Beethro standing ontop of a door when entering a room. How did he climb up there? Perhaps there's something better to put in place of the trapdoor maze, but your space is kinda restricted... Perhaps a red door placed such that after Beethro escapes, he'll be able to move freely between the two exits in that room.
09-24-2003 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
StuartK wrote:
ClaytonW wrote:

I completed the room to the north from that direction,

I've placed force arrows preventing you from going into 1N from the entrance. However, even if you leave 1N inhabited, go south into the entrance, then go back up to 1N, you cannot clear it because I've added an extra wall on the West side of that room so there's three roaches when you enter, not just two (which is how I assume you managed to get through there).

I don't like the red doors pulled back, because that room is basically unpassable from that point. But then again, it's bad design to have Beethro standing ontop of a door when entering a room. How did he climb up there? Perhaps there's something better to put in place of the trapdoor maze, but your space is kinda restricted... Perhaps a red door placed such that after Beethro escapes, he'll be able to move freely between the two exits in that room.

Since I can't add any walls to the room without damaging the handsome layout, I'm not sure such a setup would be possible without removing/relocating some of the monsters. And besides, you don't have to travel through the entrance between the two rooms, there's also 1N,1E.
09-24-2003 at 10:57 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
I've placed force arrows preventing you from going into 1N from the entrance. However, even if you leave 1N inhabited, go south into the entrance, then go back up to 1N, you cannot clear it because I've added an extra wall on the West side of that room so there's three roaches when you enter, not just two (which is how I assume you managed to get through there).

Ah well. The other entrance isn't quite so entertaining, but OK, it's a fair sacrifice to expediency.

Since I can't add any walls to the room without damaging the handsome layout, I'm not sure such a setup would be possible without removing/relocating some of the monsters. And besides, you don't have to travel through the entrance between the two rooms, there's also 1N,1E.

Sorry, I posted my reply without looking at the room again. Obviously you're right (unless you can be convinced to put a big bulge on the side there ;) )

[Edited by StuartK on 09-25-2003 at 06:53 AM]
09-25-2003 at 07:50 AM
Oneiromancer
I just finished level 5 and the two rooms on level 6. Level 5 was definitely nice...how long did that take you? The only room that gave me trouble was actually 1N (I did it before you changed it)--it took me a while to figure out how to herd the roach queens so I didn't get swamped from both directions. The demo of me beating it looks so graceful compared to the ways I died horribly.

As far as level 6 goes, 1S was actually quite easy, I beat it on the first try. If it wasn't for that scroll I probably would have needed two tries. That's okay though, it's good to have a break sometimes. 1W was more troublesome--I didn't even realize at first that I was being "timed". Very clever.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-26-2003 at 01:14 AM
ClaytonW
Oneiromancer wrote:
Level 5 was definitely nice...how long did that take you?

Hmm, I didn't do it all in one sitting, but I'd say about 3 minutes to get my picture into the size and contrast required. (I actually chopped the picture in half horizontally and did the contrast for both halves separately to make everything defined enough.) After that, I'd say an hour to construct it in the editor, and I spent 3 hours to put puzzles in. (Yeah, I could've worked harder.)

The only room that gave me trouble was actually 1N (I did it before you changed it)--it took me a while to figure out how to herd the roach queens so I didn't get swamped from both directions. The demo of me beating it looks so graceful compared to the ways I died horribly.

I never herded any queens.

Thanks for the review!
09-26-2003 at 04:26 AM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
I never herded any queens.

I agree--that's how I start the room. But after the brain is dead...

Game on,

09-26-2003 at 04:47 AM
Scott

09-26-2003 at 04:51 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, or if Claythro changed this in another version, but there is a shortcut to the room with the long snake and the horde of roaches - if you are standing on the door when the mimic hits the orb, you can kill half the horde yourself.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
09-26-2003 at 05:21 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
That's in level 1 - the last room when you go east

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
09-26-2003 at 06:47 PM
Oneiromancer
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, or if Claythro changed this in another version, but there is a shortcut to the room with the long snake and the horde of roaches - if you are standing on the door when the mimic hits the orb, you can kill half the horde yourself.

Back on the first page of this topic I mentioned in my comments that you could beat the room without using the mimic almost at all. But I didn't come out and say specifically what I did because I wanted to keep it my little secret...so thanks a lot! :P

I don't know if Clayton changed the room since then...I haven't gone back to check out the level 1 rooms.

Game on,

09-26-2003 at 07:32 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It's sort of an obvious thing to do to any experienced player. In fact, the first time I played through the level, I thought this was the intended solution.

09-26-2003 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
The other way is to use the roaches to "push" the mimic against so it can move around. That is what I assumed was the intended solution, since it is much more evil.

Game on,

09-26-2003 at 08:58 PM
ClaytonW
About that room (1:1E,2N):

The original design had a severe flaw which allowed you to clear the room without needing to shut the "protection wall." This was accomplished by simply putting the mimic next to you, retreating to the entrance, and swinging back and forth.

I thought I had fixed problem by placing a red door across the entrance, with a Northward force arrow allowing you to enter. (You could enter, but couldn't leave until you cleared the trapdoors.) This was unintentionally ineffective, because someone found out that you could just stand on the force arrow, rotate in place, and kill the roaches as they came with no threat to you.

I thought I had fixed THAT problem by removing the force arrow, and adding a second exit with a green door across it. (I have no idea why I thought this fixed the problem, because at this point, the original problem was back again: you could just put the mimic next to you and swing back and forth.) This problem is visible in the last version of Claythro Tower I posted.

I have now fixed the problem forever (I hope), using a rather ingenious method: I put a single roach in the top area where the trapdoors are. If you put the mimic next to you, you can't get that roach. The ONLY way to beat the room now is to kill the single roach first, then remove all the trapdoors so you can strike the orb that puts up the "protection wall" before the serpent shortens too far. Then, you must carefully push your mimic around other roaches to smite them all. Whew!
09-27-2003 at 03:56 AM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
This thread has gotten rather unwieldy. Where can I find the latest version of your hold (and more importantly does it now have the replacement tar mother maze :D )?

09-27-2003 at 07:49 AM
ClaytonW
Tscott wrote:
This thread has gotten rather unwieldy. Where can I find the latest version of your hold (and more importantly does it now have the replacement tar mother maze :D )?

From this day forth, I shall post the latest version of Claythro Tower at the first message of this thread, as well as any post I make about updating it.
09-27-2003 at 04:32 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
By now, I've defeated levels 4 and 5. Fun! Two quick comments:

10-05-2003 at 04:26 PM
ClaytonW
Watcher wrote:
By now, I've defeated levels 4 and 5. Fun! Two quick comments:

Those two problems have been fixed. I'll upload the newest version when I... uh... finish levels 6, 7, and 8. You see, I've recently taken a hiatus from the main levels of Claythro Tower, and I went ahead and finished the Rooftop. The final floor of Claythro Tower contains... brace yourself... Thirty-Five rooms. Twenty-six are quite difficult, Five are pretty easy, and the remaining four contain no monsters, and are just for passing through. I look forward to torturing you all.
10-10-2003 at 04:57 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
If that is the case, expect a week from me for response time...at least.

10-10-2003 at 06:47 AM
Scott
Does the version in the first thread contain the top floor or have you not uploaded it yet? Because I can't find a way to it if its there. I redid the 2 rooms on level 6 and the stairs there take me to the end rather than to another level.
10-10-2003 at 08:04 AM
ClaytonW
Scott wrote:
Does the version in the first thread contain the top floor or have you not uploaded it yet? Because I can't find a way to it if its there. I redid the 2 rooms on level 6 and the stairs there take me to the end rather than to another level.

I haven't uploaded it yet. Even when I upload the next version, you'll only be able to play 6, 7, and 8. The Rooftop is off-limits until I decide my hold is comlete (I may fall short of the 26 floors I originally intended).
10-10-2003 at 03:15 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Well, whenever you finish, there's a spot on the hold downloads page reserved for it.

Incidently, I've been able to do ONE ROOM! I hate tar, and the rooms on level 1 are full of it. It's driving me insane.

I know, I know, I suck.

Matt

10-10-2003 at 05:11 PM
ClaytonW
Mattcrampy wrote:
Incidently, I've been able to do ONE ROOM! I hate tar, and the rooms on level 1 are full of it. It's driving me insane.

Boy, you'll sure be in trouble later on. ;)
10-10-2003 at 08:07 PM
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Claythro Tower - The Rooftop.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com