Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
Page 5 of 9
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.0 Source Released. (0)  
mrimer wrote:
If anyone wants to help fix bugs in the code, big or small, everyone would greatly appreciate it.
Ohhh, me, me! Is there a way to see the topics in Bugs currently marked with the arrow? And does anyone think it's worth posting which stuff I start investigating to avoid duplicated efforts?
05-05-2007 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
schep wrote:
mrimer wrote:
If anyone wants to help fix bugs in the code, big or small, everyone would greatly appreciate it.
Ohhh, me, me! Is there a way to see the topics in Bugs currently marked with the arrow? And does anyone think it's worth posting which stuff I start investigating to avoid duplicated efforts?
Cool! I'm very glad to have your help. I can tell you know what you're doing. Stuff currently needing fixing is just arrowed topics on the first two Bugs pages, iirc. You can coordinate with me to avoid dupes -- just PM me when you starting to work on a given bug report(s). I'll catch those before I start working on anything. From my end, I'll change the arrow icon on the thread into a sword icon to indicate I'm going to start working on it presently.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-05-2007 11:14 PM]
05-05-2007 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.0 Source Released. (+1)  
I have to say that I was impressed by scons. Once I was surprised by the absence of GTK+ headers on my system, then re-surprised by the ease with which they were installed, and did the same thing again with libtheora, I just ran it and it seems to have figured out everything it needs. Kind of like autotools, I guess. But after making the fixes trick described and moving pod_char_traits.h into the ext directory as I did for JtRH (why can't this be distributed with it again?), the build seemed to go smoothly. Until I realized that I lacked a static metakit library. Fortunately, I already had compiled object files from metakit, so it was ar and ranlib to the rescue! I then copied over my /usr/share/games/drod-tcb folder contents over, replaced some stuff with my copy, and it all ran fine! The only error is "/home/coppro/CustomTCB/Libs/libcurl.so.3: no version information available", but it seems to use my own libraries fine. Time to help mike and schep with the bugs board!

Oh, one thing. How do I change the default personal data path from ~/.caravel/drod-3_0 to ~/.caravel/drod-3_0-custom?
05-07-2007 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
coppro wrote:
Oh, one thing. How do I change the default personal data path from ~/.caravel/drod-3_0 to ~/.caravel/drod-3_0-custom?
Edit DRODLib/GameConstants.h and change DROD_VERSION, szDROD_VER, and wszDROD_VER. You'll also need to copy or symlink a good drod3_0.dat to drod3_0-custom.dat. Something like this worked for me.

I also get the libcurl message. I suspect it could be avoided by doing something to make sure the final link step uses Caravel's distributed Libs, but it's a pretty minor annoyance, so I haven't done anything about it.

05-07-2007 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Hmm. Removing Curl from the include list seems to have worked, once I realised I wouldn't need it. Still, ridiculous errors everywhere. I have much deeper admiration for C++ programmers than I had before.
Seems that sound.h is the main problem:
Click here to view the secret text

I'd assume that 'SOUNDSAMPLE' is the type specifier, but it won't recognise it as one. I haven't a clue why it won't.
05-07-2007 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
AtkinsSJ wrote:
c:\downloads\drod30source\frontendlib\sound.h(53) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'SOUNDSAMPLE'
For reference the source line is
typedef FSOUND_SAMPLE SOUNDSAMPLE;

This attempts to define a new type SOUNDSAMPLE to be a synonym of existing type FSOUND_SAMPLE. The error messages you listed all sound like the compiler has no clue what FSOUND_SAMPLE is. (And because of that, it later has no clue what SOUNDSAMPLE is.) Uh, you have an <fmod.h> in your include path, right?

[Last edited by schep at 05-08-2007 12:36 AM : fix quote tag]
05-08-2007 at 12:06 AM
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
Yeah, surprisingly I have actually got fmod.h included. However, there's no line containing 'FSOUND_SAMPLE' in fmod.h, meaning it seemingly isn't getting defined anywhere. For reference, it's FMOD 26/04/07 4.06.16 - Stable release update.
Thanks!
05-09-2007 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
schep wrote:
I also get the libcurl message. I suspect it could be avoided by doing something to make sure the final link step uses Caravel's distributed Libs, but it's a pretty minor annoyance, so I haven't done anything about it.
I apologize for being away, but I was using the DROD wrapper script (actually, a full copy of DROD's resource directory, slightly modified). Thank's for the tip. I knew it was somewhere, but I was too lazy to find it.
05-12-2007 at 04:54 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
out of curiosity, at what patch level is the source code I downloaded for 3.x?

if at 3.0.2rc2, could we get a 3.0.0 snapshot as well, so we can perhaps try to help track down why 3.0.2rc2 broke things? (It would be helpful to concentrate on the diffs)

[Last edited by silver at 05-14-2007 06:23 PM]
05-14-2007 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
silver wrote:

if at 3.0.2rc2, could we get a 3.0.0 snapshot as well, so we can perhaps try to help track down why 3.0.2rc2 broke things? (It would be helpful to concentrate on the diffs)
An SVN repository would be nice, too... for collecting all the changes.

But probably not here on this server.

np: Tarwater - Shirely Temple (Spider Smile)

05-14-2007 at 09:04 PM
coppro
silver wrote:

It's 3.0.2r2 I think.
05-15-2007 at 12:03 AM
schep
Yeah, when the source code was released and announced, 3.0.2r2 was the "current" candidate. Plus DRODLib/GameConstants.h says 3.0.2.

I also would be thrilled if it's possible to do public read-only access to the CVS server or whatever the developers are using.

05-15-2007 at 12:44 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I considered asking for read-only to the svn respository, but I figure the repository probably contains things they don't want us to see, so I'm more likely to get a snapshot. though, that's me making assumptions instead of just asking.

05-15-2007 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
You may be interested in this.
05-15-2007 at 03:41 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
AlefBet wrote:
I believe SCons can actually be set up to do something similar to pseudo-targets from make, by using the Alias() function.
Hey, thanks! It works, even. I've added library aliases to the SConstruct file in CVS now.

05-16-2007 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Svante
Rank Points: 169
I'm compiling DROD 3.0 on Debian (because I have PPC) and I'm getting Error 468, which I guess is the same as 376 in DROD 2.0 (Unexpected MID value.). If I understand correctly, this means that DROD doesn't find the Data directory.

The problem is, I don't have one. The files that should be there are in /usr/local/share/games/drod (at least some of them, I seem to be missing data.dat and have drod3_0.dat in /var/games/drod). The program itself is in /usr/local/games. I might have compiled/installed the game incorrectly, or I'm not supposed to have a directory called Data.

Could somebody tell me where the different files should be in Linux (or Debian, if that's a different answer), so I (and future generations) can find them and know if they are in the wrong places.

-Svante, who really hopes this question isn't dumb
08-02-2007 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Svante wrote:
I'm compiling DROD 3.0 on Debian (because I have PPC) and I'm getting Error 468, which I guess is the same as 376 in DROD 2.0 (Unexpected MID value.). If I understand correctly, this means that DROD doesn't find the Data directory.

The problem is, I don't have one. The files that should be there are in /usr/local/share/games/drod (at least some of them, I seem to be missing data.dat and have drod3_0.dat in /var/games/drod). The program itself is in /usr/local/games. I might have compiled/installed the game incorrectly, or I'm not supposed to have a directory called Data.

Could somebody tell me where the different files should be in Linux (or Debian, if that's a different answer), so I (and future generations) can find them and know if they are in the wrong places.

-Svante, who really hopes this question isn't dumb
You need to use the .dat files included in the downloadable game distro (i.e. either the Demo or Full install).

Edit: sorry, you need to grab all the contents of the Data dir

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-03-2007 06:02 PM]
08-02-2007 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Svante
mrimer wrote:
You need to use the .dat files included in the downloadable game distro (i.e. either the Demo or Full install).

I do have those (from the full Mac version), I just don't know where to put them. Are they all supposed to be in /var/games/drod? And do they all result in the same message when they're gone? Where do I put DataPath.txt?

It's probably DataPath.txt that's misplaced, because that didn't exist anywhere so I had to guess where to put it.

-Svante, compiling for the first time
08-03-2007 at 11:17 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.0 Source Released. (+2)  
Svante wrote:
I do have those (from the full Mac version), I just don't know where to put them. Are they all supposed to be in /var/games/drod? And do they all result in the same message when they're gone? Where do I put DataPath.txt?
IIRC, I have my dats in /usr/local/games/drod-VERSION/Data (it could also be /usr/local/share/games..., but I'm at work now so I can't check). This location depends on where you installed the game though. I don't have anything DROD-related in /var. If DROD has difficulties finding your dats, you could try setting some environment variables (DROD_3_0_RES_PATH and DROD_3_0_DAT_PATH) with the location of your dats and resource files. DataPath.txt should not be needed at all, because it is automatically generated (in ~/.caravel/drod-VERSION/) if it can't be found.

When compiling a custom version it is probably wise to change the location of the user data (defaults to ~/.caravel/drod-VERSION), so that it doesn't interfere with other DROD installations. Check the post by Schep a few posts up in this thread on how to do that.

[Last edited by Stefan at 08-03-2007 11:47 AM : found the environment variable names]
08-03-2007 at 11:35 AM
Svante
Hmm. I moved the .dat files (and the files in /usr/local/share/games/drod) to Data in /usr/local/games/DROD-3_0 (after I created it). There is another error now:
Problem Starting DROD: DROD couldn't load certain files that it needs.  Try closing other applications to make more memory available.  It's also 
possible that files are missing or corrupted, and reinstalling DROD would fix this problem.

I don't know what the difference is, but I certainly prefer this error to the one before.

Before the message are errors from Frontendlib/FontManager.cpp, so either some fonts are missing, or it gets the fonts first and everything's gone. I'm leaning toward the second option.

-Svante, who would mod you up if he had the points but doesn't think mod points are important enough to write this excuse. Oops

[Last edited by Svante at 08-03-2007 04:39 PM]
08-03-2007 at 01:19 PM
Stefan
You need the resources as well as the dats to get DROD to run. Resources include the Help, Bitmaps, Fonts, etc. directories from the Data directory. The easiest thing to do would be to just copy the entire (original) Data directory to some location, and then set the environment variables I mentioned in my post above to that location. So, if you have the Data directory (and all the files normally located in it) in /usr/local/games/drod-tcb/Data, try running:
DROD_3_0_RES_PATH="/usr/local/games/drod-tcb/Data" DROD_3_0_DAT_PATH=$DROD_3_0_RES_PATH drod-tcb.bin
Hmmm... come to think of it, I think my dats are in /usr/local/share/games/drod-tcb/Data after all, but Edit2: I have my data in /usr/local/games/drod-tcb/Data.
any location is fine really, as long as you tell DROD about where it is.

Edit: I can check how exactly I have my compiled version of DROD set up when I get home.

[Last edited by Stefan at 08-03-2007 04:38 PM : Folder... ew. Shame on me!]
08-03-2007 at 02:24 PM
Svante
Awesome! It actually started! Thank you Stefan.

I replaced the Data folder with the one from my Mac install, as you said, and it worked.

I feel I'm close to get it to work like it should. Only have to get the fonts fixed. Some text doesn't show up (all text on the main menu, except Restore, Quit and the first letters of some words, and the room names). In the message boxes there is a new line after each word. Those kinds of things.

-Compiling Svante
08-03-2007 at 03:17 PM
Stefan
Svante wrote:
I feel I'm close to get it to work like it should. Only have to get the fonts fixed. Some text doesn't show up (all text on the main menu, except Restore, Quit and the first letters of some words, and the room names). In the message boxes there is a new line after each word. Those kinds of things.
Hmm... That could be caused by an incorrect version of the font library (freetype and/or SDL_ttf), and IIRC I had a similar problem, which was solved by using the libraries shipped with DROD instead of the libraries I had on my system, so I can't really help you with that. :?

08-03-2007 at 04:34 PM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Can you tell me where I can find an AE Drod source?

08-04-2007 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Svante
Ah, I guess I could get old (new?) versions of the libraries in question, or are the ones included in DROD modified and unavailable? If they're not, could somebody post which versions I should get? Thanks in advance.

Edit: By the way, I use Freetype 2.2.1 and SDL-ttf 2.0.8

-Svante, who is me.

[Last edited by Svante at 08-05-2007 12:44 PM]
08-04-2007 at 01:18 PM
Briareos
vittro wrote:
Can you tell me where I can find an AE Drod source?
There you go...

If you happen to need a CVS client for Windows, I'd recommend TortoiseCVS. Or cygwin and the commandline cvs client, if that's what you're after.

np: Praxis - Bent Light (Tennessee 2004)

08-04-2007 at 05:27 PM
vittro
Thank you. Just another favour... What compiler should I use? The Dev c++ default compiler gives me errors :?

P.S. I can't get the SVN to work. I need the right parameters.

[Last edited by vittro at 08-05-2007 12:03 AM]
08-04-2007 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
vittro wrote:
Huh? DROD:AE is in CVS - SVN is a totally different beast.

Which repository are you talking about exactly? :|

08-05-2007 at 02:58 AM
Svante
I found an old thread that tells me Freetype 2.1.9 should work. I replaced the library files for version 2.2.1 and it worked. Then I replaced them back, because I don't want the package manager and every other program going mad. The 2.1.9 files now reside safely in /usr/local/lib.

My question is, as you probably guessed: How do I make DROD use the files in /usr/local/lib without making everything else do that?
08-05-2007 at 04:00 PM
vittro
Briareos wrote:
vittro wrote:
Huh? DROD:AE is in CVS - SVN is a totally different beast.

Which repository are you talking about exactly? :|

Sorry, I mean CVS. Don't I have to set sourceforge.net parameters? I don't know what parameters to set in CVS checkout. Also, some ideas on the compiler?

08-05-2007 at 06:08 PM
Page 5 of 9
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com