Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
Page 3 of 9
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (0)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

I would like though to make an monster with new graphics... i can't know what to do! Code there please!

From what I've seen:

Let's say you wanted a flying roach.

First, you'd need to add to the graphics section to support 8/16 more tiles. (Not that hard.). Then, you'd want to copy-paste the roach code and modifiy it so that it can also move over pits. (Not that hard.) Then, you'd want to modify every single piece of the game to understand that there is something new that they can't step on and that can kill Beethro. (RED ALERT!)

01-05-2006 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (+3)  
I was hoping one of the guys that has built DROD more recently than me would pipe up. (Hint, hint ;)) I'm sure to botch this.
Andy101 wrote:
I'm having a few problems compiling the DROD source code and any help would be much apprecitated.

So far I think I have all the required libraries and the code compiles until I get the following errors.
I think you may be missing the 16-bit wchar definition. Have you got pod_char_traits.h from libstdc++ compiling into the project? In general, you haven't changed any of the #includes, have you? It is a red herring to use wide char definitions from your standard header files.
Main.cpp In function `int SDL_main(int, char**)':
168 Main.cpp `wszDRODbranch' undeclared (first use this function)

These are defined in GameConstants.h of the BackEndLib project. GameConstants.h is #included directly into Main.cpp. I would have expected you'd have some other errors around the declaration of wszDRODbranch. Anyhow, my first guess which may be wrong is that WCHAR isn't defined or defined correctly.
Main.cpp In function `void GetAppPath(const char*, WSTRING&)':
1109 Main.cpp cannot convert `WCHAR*' to `CHAR*' for argument `2' to `DWORD GetModuleFileNameA(HINSTANCE__*, CHAR*, DWORD)'
Again, this suggests a bad/missing definition of WCHAR.
On what I think is a totally unrelated note I found that I had to change everything of the form { {'F'},{'o'},{'n'},{'t'},{'s'},{0} } to { 'F','o','n','t','s',0 } in order for these sections of the code to compile.
No, that shouldn't be necessary and it probably is related. Which OS/compiler are you using?

-Erik

01-07-2006 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
It is a red herring to use wide char definitions from your standard header files.
-Erik

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there :blush

I get the following conflicting definition:
48 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\Dev-Cpp\\include\\windef.h:246, from C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\Dev-Cpp\\include\\windows.h In file included from C:/Andrew/Programming/Dev-Cpp/include/windef.h:246, from C:/Andrew/Programming/Dev-Cpp/include/windows.h
22 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\Dev-Cpp\\include\\windows.h:48, from C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\Dev-Cpp\\include\\winsock2.h from C:/Andrew/Programming/Dev-Cpp/include/windows.h:48, from C:/Andrew/Programming/Dev-Cpp/include/winsock2.h
51 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\Dev-Cpp\\include\\winsock2.h:22, from C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\Dev-Cpp\\include\\curl\\multi.h from C:/Andrew/Programming/Dev-Cpp/include/winsock2.h:22, from C:/Andrew/Programming/Dev-Cpp/include/curl/multi.h
1426 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\Dev-Cpp\\include\\curl\\multi.h:51, from C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\Dev-Cpp\\include\\curl\\curl.h from C:/Andrew/Programming/Dev-Cpp/include/curl/multi.h:51, from C:/Andrew/Programming/Dev-Cpp/include/curl/curl.h
25 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\Dev-Cpp\\include\\curl\\curl.h:1426, from C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\DROD20Source\\BackEndLib\\Internet.h from C:/Andrew/Programming/Dev-Cpp/include/curl/curl.h:1426, from C:/Andrew/Programming/DROD20Source/BackEndLib/Internet.h
30 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\DROD20Source\\BackEndLib\\DRODLib\\NetInterface.h from C:/Andrew/Programming/DROD20Source/BackEndLib/Internet.h:25, from DROD/../DRODLib/NetInterface.h
32 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\DROD20Source\\DRODLib\\NetInterface.h:30, from DROD\\DrodScreen.h from DROD/../DRODLib/NetInterface.h:30, from DROD/DrodScreen.h
28 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\DROD20Source\\DROD\\DrodScreen.h:32, from DROD\\BrowserScreen.h from DROD/DrodScreen.h:32, from DROD/BrowserScreen.h
25 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\DROD20Source\\DROD\\BrowserScreen.h:28, from DROD\\BrowserScreen.cpp from DROD/BrowserScreen.h:28, from DROD/BrowserScreen.cpp
25 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\DROD20Source\\DROD\\BrowserScreen.cpp from DROD/BrowserScreen.cpp
77 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\Dev-Cpp\\include\\winnt.h conflicting declaration 'typedef wchar_t WCHAR'
55 C:\\Andrew\\Programming\\DROD20Source\\BackEndLib\\Wchar.h 'WCHAR' has a previous declaration as `typedef WCHAR_t WCHAR'
Which I had got around by changing "typedef WCHAR_t WCHAR;" to "typedef wchar_t WCHAR;" but I'm guessing that was a stupid thing to do and the cause of the other problems.

What would have been the correct way to sort this out?

I am using windows XP and am trying to compile using dev c++.

After a bit of digging on the internet the "brace-enclosed initializer used to initialize `const WCHAR'" I was getting appears to be a bug with the g++ compiler which gives an error rather than warning about the unrequired braces.

[Last edited by Andy101 at 01-07-2006 07:54 PM]
01-07-2006 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (+4)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I was hoping one of the guys that has built DROD more recently than me would pipe up. (Hint, hint ;)) I'm sure to botch this.
Er .. I was going to reply to this, but then I forgot. Wops. In any case, I don't think you botched it.
Andy101 wrote:
I am using windows XP and am trying to compile using dev c++
Oh man. Dev-C++ uses mingw, doesn't it ? I don't think anyone tried building using cygwin/mingw yet. I've never used Dev-C++, so I have no idea how it works. Are you using the Linux makefile, the Visual C++ project files, or did you make your own Dev-C++ project ?

So, anyway, it looks like your winnt.h defines WCHAR to be a wchar_t for some reason, so unless we either don't include winnt.h anywhere (which I'm guessing isn't an option) or rename WCHAR to something else (gah), WCHAR has to be wchar_t for you. This may actually work, but only if wchar_t is 16-bit (ie 2 bytes). I'm pretty sure this is the case for mingw, actually, but try this just in case (and hope it outputs 2):
#include <stdio.h>

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
        printf("sizeof(wchar_t) = %u\\n", sizeof(wchar_t));
        return 0;
}

Assuming that went okay, we are, of course, back to your original problem:
Main.cpp In function `int SDL_main(int, char**)':
168 Main.cpp `wszDRODbranch' undeclared (first use this function)
I have no idea why this doesn't work. Check that:

1. Main.cpp #includes "DRODLib/GameConstants.h"
2. DRODLib/GameConstants.h defines wszDRODbranch (should be "static const WCHAR *wszDRODbranch = NULL;" for JtRH).
Main.cpp In function `void GetAppPath(const char*, WSTRING&)':
1109 Main.cpp cannot convert `WCHAR*' to `CHAR*' for argument `2' to `DWORD GetModuleFileNameA(HINSTANCE__*, CHAR*, DWORD)'
I also don't know why this doesn't work. This is in the GetAppPath function, right ? Here's the relevant code for me (2.0.12):
#if defined(__linux__)
(...)
#elif (defined WIN32)
    WCHAR wszPathBuffer[MAX_PATH+1];
    if (GetModuleFileName(NULL, wszPathBuffer, MAX_PATH))
    {
        wstrAppPath = wszPathBuffer;
        return;
    }
    else //On older versions of Windows, Unicode functions fail.
    {
        char szPathBuffer[MAX_PATH+1];
        if (GetModuleFileNameA(NULL, szPathBuffer, MAX_PATH))
        {
            AsciiToUnicode(szPathBuffer, wstrAppPath);
            return;
        }
    }
#elif defined(__APPLE__) || defined(__FreeBSD__)
(...)
#endif
(...)

As you can see the second argument to GetModuleFileNameA (szPathBuffer) is defined to be a char array at the line before the call, so how can the compiler think this is a WCHAR array ? Is your code different ?
On what I think is a totally unrelated note I found that I had to change everything of the form { {'F'},{'o'},{'n'},{'t'},{'s'},{0} } to { 'F','o','n','t','s',0 } in order for these sections of the code to compile.
Yes, this is a known problem. Unfortunately the extra braces are required when WCHAR is a composite type (which is the case in Linux builds). The We() macro was added to deal with this problem, but we didn't use it everywhere because it didn't seem to be required everywhere and using the We() macro results in strings being even uglier than they are already. For maximum compatibility, "strings" of that form should be changed to use the We() macro, like this:
{ We('F'),We('o'),We('n'),We('t'),We('s'),We(0) }

If you can list the places your compiler complained, I can update the source to use the We macro there.

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 01-07-2006 09:00 PM]
01-07-2006 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Andy101
Thanks for all the help :thumbsup

Are you using the Linux makefile, the Visual C++ project files, or did you make your own Dev-C++ project ?

I have made my own project.

This may actually work, but only if wchar_t is 16-bit (ie 2 bytes). I'm pretty sure this is the case for mingw, actually, but try this just in case (and hope it outputs 2):

wchar_t is 16-bit :)

#if defined(__linux__)
(...)
#elif (defined WIN32)
WCHAR wszPathBuffer[MAX_PATH+1];
if (GetModuleFileName(NULL, wszPathBuffer, MAX_PATH))
{
wstrAppPath = wszPathBuffer;
return;
}
else //On older versions of Windows, Unicode functions fail.
{
char szPathBuffer[MAX_PATH+1];
if (GetModuleFileNameA(NULL, szPathBuffer, MAX_PATH))
{
AsciiToUnicode(szPathBuffer, wstrAppPath);
return;
}
}
#elif defined(__APPLE__) || defined(__FreeBSD__)
(...)
#endif
(...)

As you can see the second argument to GetModuleFileNameA (szPathBuffer) is defined to be a char array at the line before the call, so how can the compiler think this is a WCHAR array ? Is your code different ?

Am I just being stupid or does the line before not define it as a WCHAR array? :?

Anyway I changed the code to GetModuleFileNameA(NULL, (char*) szPathBuffer, MAX_PATH) and now at least it compiles.

If you can list the places your compiler complained, I can update the source to use the We macro there.

everywhere it occurs :P

I now have the code compiled and have encountered problems when linking that are related to the metakit library.
The linker requires command line arguements for this library (which for all the other libraries are loaded from the respective .a or .lib files) however I am unable to find such a file or simply the command line arguements for metakit :( As a result I get a string of errors related to undefined references to functions of the form c4_... when linking.

01-08-2006 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
The problem is standards-compliance. According to standards, you get an error whenever you even try to pass a float to an int function. Visual just skips over this, because, after all, there is no other functional C++ compiler in the world and so this just makes it more user-friendly O:-

In other words, it should give an error, Visual C++ just doesn't for whatever reason.

[Last edited by coppro at 01-08-2006 12:18 AM]
01-08-2006 at 12:16 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Andy101 wrote:
everywhere it occurs :P
Ok ..

I now have the code compiled and have encountered problems when linking that are related to the metakit library.
The linker requires command line arguements for this library (which for all the other libraries are loaded from the respective .a or .lib files) however I am unable to find such a file or simply the command line arguements for metakit :( As a result I get a string of errors related to undefined references to functions of the form c4_... when linking.
I just add -lmk4 to the link arguments. Doesn't this work for you ? Note that the order of the link arguments does matter, so if you're getting undefined errors, try shuffling the link arguments around. A rule of thumb is that, going left-to-right on the link args, a symbol should be accessed before it's defined. Try placing -lmk4 last in the link args and see what happens.

- Gerry
01-08-2006 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Andy101
Nearly there...

Having compiled a static library for metakit I have finally managed to finish the linking with no errors.

However now I have a new problem attempting to run the drod.exe created. I encountered an error saying that jpeg62.dll was required, no problem downloading this although I am a little puzzled as to why it does not appear to be required by the official release. Then however I received the following error:

"An unexpected error occured, and DROD was not able to retrieve a description of the problem. This problem might be corrected by reinstalling DROD. Error=376"

This sounds like a fairly major problem to me :(
Anyone got any ideas as to what I've done wrong?

01-08-2006 at 11:56 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (+2)  
Andy101 wrote:
Nearly there...

Having compiled a static library for metakit I have finally managed to finish the linking with no errors.
Good!
However now I have a new problem attempting to run the drod.exe created. I encountered an error saying that jpeg62.dll was required, no problem downloading this although I am a little puzzled as to why it does not appear to be required by the official release.
Hmm. We use a static jpeglib library, linked in at compile time. I'm guessing you're trying to include for a dynamic lib or something?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-09-2006 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
What's this mk4.h and why don't I have it?
01-11-2006 at 12:23 AM
mrimer
coppro wrote:
What's this mk4.h and why don't I have it?
It's the API to the Metakit (latest version is 2.4.9.5) library. It must be statically linked into the executable.

01-11-2006 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Then how do I get one?

I don't have it. That's why I asked.
01-11-2006 at 02:38 AM
mrimer
coppro wrote:
Then how do I get one?

I don't have it. That's why I asked.
If you search for it on the Internet, you will find the library to download on their site here. If you need more libraries to compile the game, I recommend searching for the things you need via Google, or whatever, as well.

01-11-2006 at 02:58 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (+1)  
coppro wrote:
According to standards, you get an error whenever you even try to pass a float to an int function.
Strictly speaking, the C++ standard doesn't talk of errors or warnings. Some things are required to issue a diagnostic (which may be an error or a warning or an informational message), and once the diagnostic is issued, the compiler is free to either generate code anyway or fail.
Visual just skips over this, because, after all, there is no other functional C++ compiler in the world and so this just makes it more user-friendly O:-

In other words, it should give an error, Visual C++ just doesn't for whatever reason.
Failing to issue a diagnostic is probably standards-nonconformant (I didn't look the relevant part up to check), but producing compiled output from incorrect input code is not. Also, it may be that the compiler has flags that will cause it to issue the diagnostic. (Perhaps --pedantic or --ansi?) Most C++ compilers are non-conforming in their default mode of operation. It's usually considered sufficient for standards purposes if they have a usable configuration that does adhere.

Edit: Not that I'm defending Visual C++. It was during the VC6 era that I, for the most part, stopped using Windows, and GCC 3 was a breath of fresh air. (I have read that VC.net is quite a bit better, when you don't use managed code.) I just thought I'd correct what may have been a few misconceptions.

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 01-11-2006 03:34 AM]
01-11-2006 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Andy101
I am still having some problems with compiling the DROD executable correctly namely that I am getting an error:
"An unexpected error occured, and DROD was not able to retrieve a description of the problem. This problem might be corrected by reinstalling DROD. Error=376"
whenever I run the compiled .exe, I think this is related to the loading of the fonts files, as TTF_Init() is not failing, but any ideas as to why this is occuring would be much appreciated. I have tried running the official release of DROD.exe in the same folder and it runs without a fault so I believe that all the data files are in place.

On a totally unrelated note the macro:
# define ASSERT(exp) _ASSERT_VOID_CAST( (exp) ? 0 : AssertErr(__FILE__,__LINE__,#exp) )
is not in the strictist sense correct and would not compile until I changed AssertErr from void to int as the compiler complains that:
`AssertErr(((const char*)"C:/Andrew/Programming/DROD20Source/FrontEndLib/Effect.h"), 107, ((const char*)"SDL_GetTicks() >= this->dwTimeStarted"))' has type `void' and is not a throw-expression

[Last edited by Andy101 at 01-17-2006 10:53 PM]
01-17-2006 at 10:42 PM
AlefBet
Andy101 wrote:
On a totally unrelated note the macro:
# define ASSERT(exp) _ASSERT_VOID_CAST( (exp) ? 0 : AssertErr(__FILE__,__LINE__,#exp) )
is not in the strictist sense correct and would not compile until I changed AssertErr from void to int as the compiler complains that:
`AssertErr(((const char*)"C:/Andrew/Programming/DROD20Source/FrontEndLib/Effect.h"), 107, ((const char*)"SDL_GetTicks() >= this->dwTimeStarted"))' has type `void' and is not a throw-expression
I believe this error message is slightly misleading. The issue is that one branch of the trinary operator is of type void while the other branch is of type int (0). It may also work to replace 0 with (void)0.

++Adam H. Peterson
01-17-2006 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Andy101
AlefBet wrote:
It may also work to replace 0 with (void)0.
This doesn't work, it then gives the error;
`(void)0' has type `void' and is not a throw-expression

[Last edited by Andy101 at 01-17-2006 11:03 PM]
01-17-2006 at 11:03 PM
AlefBet
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. GCC accepts it, but it can be a bit permissive.

Edit: Although, now that I think about it, if the compiler allows you to cast 0 to void, the construct should be legal. But I expect a lot of compilers aren't as flexible as they should be with accepting void expressions. Oh, well. Anyway...

How does the compiler like this:
 # define ASSERT(exp) _ASSERT_VOID_CAST( (exp) || (AssertErr(__FILE__,__LINE__,#exp), 0) )

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 01-18-2006 01:39 AM]
01-18-2006 at 01:35 AM
Andy101
Just a quick update;

I have finally compiled a seemingly bug free version of DROD using Dev C++ :D . Using the latest source code I only had to make a few minor tweaks to the code to persuade it to compile. For some reason the static version of libjpeg that I have does not work so I had to compile with a dynamic version but apart from that the executable doesn't require any extra .dlls. I accidentally compiled with SDL 1.2.8 at first leading to DROD crashing when an orb was hit repeatedly, and presumably in other circumstances as well, but I can confirm that everything works fine with SDL 1.2.9.

So if anyone else wants to compile DROD without having to pay for any software it is possible using Dev c++. Perhaps when I have some spare time I might try and produce some sort of guide for compiling DROD on windows.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who helped me with the problems that I encountered. :thumbsup
Now I'm off to start modding :evil:

04-15-2006 at 07:02 PM
coppro
Help! I can't find SDL_ttf.h anywhere! The downloads page doesn't include headers, only the compiled DLL. So far, everything else seems to go fine after making the changes to WCHAR and Assert as needed. I'm just getting expat now. I probably still need pnglib and jpglib, but I'll get those as they come up.

EDIT: Found it! Hooray for the Law of Hints and Solutions! Would it really hurt them to put them both in the same download?

[Last edited by coppro at 04-27-2006 06:52 PM]
04-27-2006 at 06:40 PM
coppro
Seems to be compiling fine, fixing the occasional error along the way. Funny thing that. I strongly suggest replacing a lot of the VC specific "#ifdef WIN32"s to something sompiler-specific, because GCC stops after a certain number of messages, and "[Warning] Ignoring #pragma warning" counts. Had to comment them out.
04-27-2006 at 07:47 PM
Andy101
coppro wrote:
Seems to be compiling fine, fixing the occasional error along the way. Funny thing that. I strongly suggest replacing a lot of the VC specific "#ifdef WIN32"s to something sompiler-specific, because GCC stops after a certain number of messages, and "[Warning] Ignoring #pragma warning" counts. Had to comment them out.

Add -W to the compiler parameters to suppress the warning messages.

[Last edited by Andy101 at 04-27-2006 08:17 PM]
04-27-2006 at 08:16 PM
coppro
Andy101 wrote:
coppro wrote:

Add -W to the compiler parameters to suppress the warning messages.

Knowing that would have saved me a lot of trouble ><.
04-27-2006 at 08:18 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
OK, I have recently put Ubuntu onto my laptop and now I am trying to compile DROD with not much success. Odds are probably that I'm missing or have the wrong version of a required library (although I think I checked everything). Or I'm doing something stupid. Anyway, someone might be able to point me in the correct direction quicker than I can find it myself.

The error I'm currently getting is
Click here to view the secret text

Thanks.
08-07-2006 at 01:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
I'm not sure, because it's been a while since I last compiled DROD, but I think you're using the wrong version of pod_char_traits.h. I can't remember exactly which version works, but I remember having some trouble finding the right one.

Just try it with different revisions of the file (pod_char_traits.h) and it should work with at least one of them, unless the error lies elsewhere...

Edit: I sort of remember that this was discussed elsewhere on the forum (and that the different revisions of pod_char_traits.h were tested to see which one is required). I'll check...

Edit: Yup, found it (here), with an almost identical error message :)

Edit: However, that seems to have been for AE, so you might need a different version for DROD 2.0 (assuming that's the version you're trying to compile).

[Last edited by Stefan at 08-07-2006 03:26 PM]
08-07-2006 at 03:16 PM
Rabscuttle

Cool bananas. I'll try different versions when I get home tonight.
08-08-2006 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
I retrieved a different version (1.4.2) and that fixed that problem. Thanks :D
08-08-2006 at 01:44 PM
coppro
Who destickied this? It's still the only reliable link to the source code page!
10-01-2006 at 04:19 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
What about DROD Website -> Fun Stuff -> DROD 2.0 Engine Source Code?

10-01-2006 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Aah. I kept looking in the downloads section, seeing how it is a download.
10-01-2006 at 06:26 PM
Page 3 of 9
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com