Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
Page 2 of 13
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (0)  
rowrow wrote:
Beethro does mean things. But a monster? ...
Yes, a monster.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-25-2005 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+1)  
rowrow wrote:
Beethro does mean things. But a monster? ...
It is also on caravelgames.com
Tar can be cut by monsters, namely sworded monsters such as the Slayer or a Poppy. Also, sworded characters can cut tar.

(I suppose strictly speaking, the Slayer is a "hooked" game element, but "sworded" is an easier category, and you knew what I meant anyway....)

[Edited by AlefBet at Local Time:05-25-2005 at 03:31 AM]

++Adam H. Peterson
05-25-2005 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
pre-2.0.7 if Beethro hit the last eye while it was closed, the tar would not spawn, but if a guard or the Slayer did that, it would.

Now guards and the Slayer have the same "tar kill timing" that Beethro does.

---

What's a poppy? The only sworded elements I know are: Beethro, mimic, decoy, guard, the Slayer (well, hook, but works like a sword).

[Edited by silver at Local Time:05-25-2005 at 03:29 AM]

05-25-2005 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
Ok thanx for telling me. I didn't read the bug report so it looked weird to me.

05-25-2005 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
silver wrote:
What's a poppy?
A poppy is another name for a guard.

++Adam H. Peterson
05-25-2005 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
Weird. I don't remember in the game where they were called anything but guard or henchmen. Is this some developer in-joke you're trying to confuse people with? (i.e. in all communication outside the l33t circle that "knows the joke" perhaps you should use the only freaking name the game uses).
(assuming your point is to communicate with people, that is. if you don't care if anyone understands you, feel free to call them zingbats or whatever :) ).

[Edited by silver at Local Time:05-25-2005 at 03:40 AM]

05-25-2005 at 03:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
During development, the names were used pretty interchangably in discussion. Towards the end, though, I think we may have made an effort to pick just one term and be consistent, consistant, and consistint. I didn't really get involved in the documentation and dialog end of things, though, so I wouldn't have really noticed. This may be a case of me being consistent over here by myself.

++Adam H. Peterson
05-25-2005 at 03:41 AM
schep
Rank Points: 864
I was never involved in development or beta or any of that, and I knew them as 'poppies' before I realized 'guards' was a synonym. So the name must still be in Level 25, most likely in the character speeches.

Edit: Specifically, on entering Once East.

[Edited by schep at Local Time:05-25-2005 at 03:59 AM]
05-25-2005 at 03:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The guards that appear in the JtRH hold are called 'poppies'. In general, they're guards.

Or at least that's how I've been using the term.

05-25-2005 at 07:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+3)  
In case anyone missed it, the Linux patches are available for download at the patch page (remember to refresh :)). They'll patch any 2.0 version to 2.0.7, so you don't have to upgrade to 2.0.6 first if you haven't done so already.

For your convenience, I'll throw in some direct download links:

To patch the Linux full version of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, install this file. (version 2.0.7)

To patch the Linux demo version of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, install this file. (version 2.0.7)

- Gerry
05-25-2005 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
icon 2.0.8 Patch (Windows) (+2)  
The DROD:JtRH 2.0.8 Windows patch has been released. It includes the following bug fixes:

Game texts: weren't changing when only removing characters from the end.
Import: more robust to invalid data.
Hold upgrade: doesn't assume previously clean rooms are automatically conquered.
Room editor: couldn't undo a character script view/edit. Removed confirmation on serpent deletion.
Rattlesnakes: weren't killed by NPC sword stabs.
Characters: subtle script fixes; invisible swords should not be treated as monster barriers; wubba NPC is now invulnerable by default; mimic/decoy NPCs can now light fuses and drop trapdoors.
Export: Now can export hold speech script by enabling ExportSpeech ini parameter.
Explosions: effect is no longer expansion order-dependent.
Seep: kills by door now counted.
Level start position: couldn't place sword on serpent.
Minimap: room state wasn't updating when an NPC turns into a monster.
Brain powerdown: was incorrectly playing on some room entrances.
Stairs: double cast shadow.

To patch the Windows full version of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, install this file.

To patch the Windows demo version of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, install this file.

06-06-2005 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 864
icon Re: 2.0.8 Patch (Windows) (0)  
mrimer wrote:
mimic/decoy NPCs can now light fuses and drop trapdoors.
Decoy is not an option in the Edit Character widget.
06-07-2005 at 05:24 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

Do we have to install only this patch or do we have to install all the other patches before this? And if we have to do so, where can we find 'em?
06-07-2005 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Usually the same files are changed with each patch, so I'm 99% sure you can upgrade from any version of JtRH. Just make sure you use the correct full vs. demo, and if you're really paranoid, export your player and any holds you're working on.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-07-2005 at 10:15 PM
Bombadil
Thanks. I don't have to worry yet, I haven't installed my JtRH yet. I'm waiting to finish exams. On June 23rd I'll start, and I won't stop (maybe to sleep).
06-08-2005 at 12:42 PM
Bombadil
Yeeehaaaaaa!

Goblin! ^^
06-08-2005 at 08:02 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: 2.0.8 Patch (Windows) (0)  
mrimer wrote:
The DROD:JtRH 2.0.8
Hold upgrade: doesn't assume previously clean rooms are automatically conquered.

Please explain. Donīt I have to bother Schik to ugrade my hold anymore? Can I do it myself in some way? In that case how?
06-09-2005 at 08:07 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It refers to what happens when you import an upgraded version of a hold into the game.

06-09-2005 at 11:18 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Ahh, well... good to know.
06-09-2005 at 11:45 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+2)  
Linux patches!

To patch the Linux full version of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, install this file.

To patch the Linux demo version of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, install this file

- Gerry

[Edited by trick at Local Time:06-11-2005 at 01:30 PM: link to the Linux files, not the Windows files. Woops.]
06-11-2005 at 01:29 PM
mrimer
The DROD:Journey to Rooted Hold 2.0.9 patch is available. It includes the following improvements:

CaravelNet beta holds: now can view demo lists for any rooms in beta holds.
Movement animation: fixed jerky motion and increased frame rate when moving fast.
Import: now adds imported data faster and requires less RAM to perform.
Seep: now won't be transparent while a double is being placed for better visibility.

And the following bug fixes:

Rattlesnake: killing a rattlesnake by placing a mimic/decoy caused a crash.
Guards: could accidentally stab each other when next to the player.
Copying a hold: could potentially scramble staircase destinations; title show demos were not being copied.
Copying a room to another hold: Kept a reference to the special floor image in the old hold, resulting in the floor image being reset when the old hold is deleted.
CaravelNet demos: sometimes couldn't view demos in rooms conquered previously.
Demo playback: fixed incorrect state display.
Time: 12PM was shown as 12AM.
NPC: had wrong stab effect displayed for some monster types.
Misc: several other minor fixes.

Windows and Linux patches can be downloaded here.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-09-2005 12:59 AM]
08-08-2005 at 11:41 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Just out of interest, was this behaviour changed for 2.0.9, and if not, will it ever be changed (this may affect a room or two that I am building)?

08-08-2005 at 11:48 PM
mrimer
agaricus5 wrote:
Just out of interest, was this behaviour changed for 2.0.9, and if not, will it ever be changed (this may affect a room or two that I am building)?
It hasn't been changed in 2.0.9, and I can't say right now whether it will ever be changed.

08-09-2005 at 12:16 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Did anyone else notice that the 2.09 changes haven't been listed on the caravelgames website yet?

On that note, it would be nice if there was some link from the main caravelgames page to the patches. I can't seem to find one, and have to come find this (unstickied) thread every time to find them.
08-12-2005 at 11:06 PM
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
TripleM wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the 2.09 changes haven't been listed on the caravelgames website yet?
The 2.09 changes are on there, but listed as 2.08 (looks like a typo to me). :thumbsup

[Last edited by HopelessAmateur at 08-17-2005 11:29 AM]
08-17-2005 at 11:27 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
I have a question.

I started creating my hold in the very first version of JTRH (windows). Now I'm trying to import my hold (freshly downloaded linux version), and it says it's corrupted.

Is there any way around it ? I have a room here with dozens of orbs and doors, it would be a nightmare to recreate with screenshot/paper !
---------
Not to mention I'm good several kilometers from that DROD install.

By the way: is this normal that a lot of JTRH holds appear to be "corrupted" when trying to import ? It appears my hold is just one of many.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 09-18-2005 05:37 PM]
09-18-2005 at 03:08 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
It's probably retrievable if you ask Mike or Schik nicely, but in the meantime I strongly suggest upgrading to 2.09. Because there's less bugs.

Oh, wait: you said it was temporary. You could try, if you're desperate, using the JtRH->AE converter and reimporting it...?

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 09-19-2005 12:00 AM]
09-18-2005 at 11:26 PM
mrimer
b0rsuk wrote:
I started creating my hold in the very first version of JTRH (windows). Now I'm trying to import my hold (freshly downloaded linux version), and it says it's corrupted.
By the way: is this normal that a lot of JTRH holds appear to be "corrupted" when trying to import ? It appears my hold is just one of many.
No, it's not intentional that a properly exported hold file is labelled corrupted on import. If your installation is having problems importing holds that other people can import normally, it looks like your game installation is corrupt. I can take a look at your hold, possibly fixing any outstanding problem and/or fixing your hold. Please post your .hold file or email it to me.

09-19-2005 at 03:27 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489

File: Badgers Den.hold (83 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Other
In that case you're in trouble, because it's a fresh DROD install. Just a while ago I reinstalled it (deleting all dirs including .caravel in home dir), created test account and tried to import.
Same error.

Does it mean data file on caravel website is corrupted ?
--------
As for patch, it complains that there's no drod-jtrh.bin file. Because there really isn't. It's called drod-jtrh-demo.bin.

Is it safe to disguise it as drod-jtrh.bin and attempt to patch ?
I attached my hold here.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
09-19-2005 at 09:38 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119

File: Badgers Den_fixed.hold (83 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
License: Other
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+2)  
The hold file showed signs of a bug that was fixed in 2.0.3 ("Hold export: was incorrectly exporting bad values for special floors that no longer exist in the hold, causing import to think the hold was corrupted.").

A fixed hold is attached.

09-19-2005 at 10:43 AM
Page 2 of 13
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com