Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Bug or Feature? (undo death)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon Bug or Feature? (0)  
Undoing a death still ups your death count. Is that a bug, or an intentional decision to make people feel inferior? :)

04-06-2005 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Bug or Feature? (0)  
silver wrote:
Undoing a death still ups your death count. Is that a bug, or an intentional decision to make people feel inferior? :)
Well, you did die.

It's probably a feature, since undoing a death is still exactly the same as if you died and then replayed all your past moves to reach the move just before death.

04-06-2005 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
I remember talking about this during testing... if I remember correctly, it was decided that this would be a feature. Which, in my opinion, it should be. Just my thoughts.
04-06-2005 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
bradwall wrote:
I remember talking about this during testing... if I remember correctly, it was decided that this would be a feature. Which, in my opinion, it should be. Just my thoughts.

Then it's plain stupid. Why isn't death counter raised when pressing R ? It's the same thing, really - the room is unsolvable, and player realises his error.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
04-06-2005 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
b0rsuk wrote:
Then it's plain stupid.

Tell us how you really feel.
;)
04-06-2005 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
b0rsuk wrote:
bradwall wrote:

Then it's plain stupid. Why isn't death counter raised when pressing R ? It's the same thing, really - the room is unsolvable, and player realises his error.
If you can just undo a death with no raising of the counter, then what's the point of having a death counter in the first place? People could just undo a death, and then press 'r', which bypasses any addition to the counter, but it still will have the same effect as a proper death. In such a situation, the only thing the death counter tells you is which people can't press the undo button fast enough, and which can, which is quite unfair.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:04-06-2005 at 06:29 PM]

04-06-2005 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Unfair ? I consider death counter idea annoying in the first place. I like to play around, sometimes blow bombs with sword etc. Fortunatelly I don't have access to caravelnet. I'm not going to take 2 minutes per move in each tar room, and everyone knows death sometimes just happens in these.

04-06-2005 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
b0rsuk wrote:
Unfair ? I consider death counter idea annoying in the first place. I like to play around, sometimes blow bombs with sword etc. Fortunatelly I don't have access to caravelnet. I'm not going to take 2 minutes per move in each tar room, and everyone knows death sometimes just happens in these.
I'm not quite sure what the CaravelNet reference means... it's not like CaravelNet tracks how many deaths you have and tells everyone "Hey, b0rsuk dies the most!" - It only tracks each user's best winning demo for each room.

04-06-2005 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
So they say... and then you complete JtRH discovering all its deepest secrets, and the walls of the Master open before you. You advance on a luxurios red carpet through halls made from purest white marble, with huge mirrors and tapestries on which your glorious victories are depicted. And then you enter a huge chamber on the opposite wall of which is a flaming five-feet high message carved in solid obsidian. And the message says - "OMG, OMG, B0RSUK DIED THE MOST!"

04-06-2005 at 08:18 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
icon Re: Bug or Feature? (+2)  
LOL that's hilarious :lol

For the record, restarting or undoing a move doesn't subtract from the level's total move count. So hard core efficiency experts who can play a level w/o mistakes or undo can still receive mention of best movecount.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-06-2005 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Maurog wrote:
And then you enter a huge chamber on the opposite wall of which is a flaming five-feet high message carved in solid obsidian. And the message says - "OMG, OMG, B0RSUK DIED THE MOST!"

Anyone up for a new easter egg?

Matt

04-07-2005 at 04:41 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2486
mrimer wrote:
LOL that's hilarious :lol

For the record, restarting or undoing a move doesn't subtract from the level's total move count. So hard core efficiency experts who can play a level w/o mistakes or undo can still receive mention of best movecount.

:thumbsup

Hrmm.. does this mean I am going to have to do KDD levels again? (assuming KDD 2.0 is similar enough to KDD 1.0)

What effect does restoring a game have on the level movecount?
04-07-2005 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Mattcrampy wrote:
Maurog wrote:
And then you enter a huge chamber on the opposite wall of which is a flaming five-feet high message carved in solid obsidian. And the message says - "OMG, OMG, B0RSUK DIED THE MOST!"

Anyone up for a new easter egg?

Matt

Go ahead. How do you know I'll finish JTRH at all ? I'm happy with demo, except for that ugly black border around image floor. It's quite limiting - for example, I wanted to insert image of rope hanging from the ceiling (start of level), and discovered that border thingy.

04-07-2005 at 08:57 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Bug or Feature? (undo death)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com