Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : If a person makes a hold that looks good and compromises puzzles/killing, do you "mark it down?"
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon If a person makes a hold that looks good and compromises puzzles/killing, do you "mark it down?" (0)  
I'm rather curious... as i'm making my first hold, i'd prefer to make a nice one over a good one, but would that make my hold worse? (when comparing to others)
02-04-2005 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: If a person makes a hold that looks good and compromises puzzles/killing, do you "mark it down?" (0)  
It sort of depends on how you advertise the hold. If you say clearly in the hold announcement that it's designed to look good rather than have clever puzzles, most people will judge it on how it looks (I think).

Also, remember that there are seperate scores for difficulty and quality. If your hold is good but easy, it will get high marks.

Of course, if your hold is simply annoying (say, a lot of tedious puzzles or mazes or anything else that isn't popular), it may be scored down for that.

So, basically, it sort of depends on what exactly it is you do.

02-04-2005 at 03:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: If a person makes a hold that looks good and compromises puzzles/killing, do you "mark it down?" (0)  
One small question: Does it matter to you if we "mark it down"?

If so, then you should make the best hold according to all our wishes (and I can send you my very large list if you want to ;))

If not, then you should do it according to what you think is best.

Anyway, discussing how you should make a hold is the best excuse not to make one...

-- Tim ;)

PS. Would it help you if I say I will mark it down anyway? ;)

02-04-2005 at 05:44 AM
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
eytanz wrote:
If your hold is good but easy, it will get high marks.

Of course, if your hold is simply annoying (say, a lot of tedious puzzles or mazes or anything else that isn't popular), it may be scored down for that.

Hopefully the hold i've made doesn't fall into the latter (though im sure it will):lol

[Edited by geomatrx at Local Time:02-04-2005 at 12:28 PM]

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
02-04-2005 at 09:17 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: If a person makes a hold that looks good and compromises puzzles/killing, do you "mark it down?" (+1)  
Tim wrote:
One small question: Does it matter to you if we "mark it down"?
I'm sure it does. Most people would prefer to build a good hold that people like to play, rather than not care about it and make a poor one.

If so, then you should make the best hold according to all our wishes (and I can send you my very large list if you want to ;))
That's a purely subjective remark. What's defined as "the best hold"? Holds can be viewed as better for different reasons, for example, "A Quiet Place" is notable for its specific rooms while "The Fool's Errand" is renowned for its sneaky puzzle design.

Anyway, discussing how you should make a hold is the best excuse not to make one...
That doesn't make any sense. You seem to be saying that discussing hold-building is an excuse for not building one, which implies that you think people who discuss hold-building are actually only doing it because they can't be bothered to make one. I personally disagree - discussing architecture of a DROD hold is very important, since it helps people to find new and better ways of enhancing and building their own holds.

PS. Would it help you if I say I will mark it down anyway? ;)
Are you discouraging this architect from releasing his/her hold?

Anyway, I agree partly with Eytan. How you advertise your hold can be important to the sort of critical reception it gets.

However, I'd say that holds that look good but contain poor puzzles won't do as well as holds with great puzzles but which look rather minimalist. In any case, it would be better to try to get a good mix of the two; good puzzles in an aesthetically pleasing hold.

02-05-2005 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
Thanks for the replies, people. I think i'll try some other holds so I know what I shoul be making, roughly.
02-06-2005 at 01:30 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : If a person makes a hold that looks good and compromises puzzles/killing, do you "mark it down?"
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com