Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : 210 Levels of Terror: TSS Edition (210 short but engaging levels, using all DROD elements from the TSS official hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 490
IP: Logged

File: 210 Levels of Terror TSS Edition Levels 9 thru 16.hold (191.9 KB)
Downloaded 2 times.
License: Public Domain
icon 210 Levels of Terror: TSS Edition (0)  
Hello everyone,

This is the last 210 Levels of Terror, dedicated to the final DROD hold, The Second Sky, so do expect scripted challenges as well as the hardest rooms without any scripted challenges to them.

I have the first 4 levels fully done for playtesting per usual, but my plan for the rest of the hold is:

Click here to view the secret text

05/29/2024 UPDATE:

I added levels 5 thru 8.

06/10/2024 UPDATE:

I added levels 9 thru 16, dedicated to the training hall in 9 thru 14 and the Oubillete in 15 and 16.

[Last edited by azb at 06-10-2024 08:31 PM : 06/10/2024 Update, adding levels 9 thru 16]
05-29-2024 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
icon Re: 210 Levels of Terror: TSS Edition (0)  
I got a comment about duplicates on my TCB thread, so I am going to point out here that level 3 isn't exactly a duplicate of the JtRH edition's level 2 because it has rooms from other levels of the JtRH edition, as well as a secret room that is its own room, and likewise level 4 has cracked orbs in it, unlike the JtRH edition.

Again, I will gladly point out that if the puzzles are the same with no new elements being introduced, it should be fine to re-use rooms because not every room needs a brand spanking new invention from the ground up.

05-29-2024 at 10:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
I added levels 5 thru 8; note level 5 just re-uses rooms from the GatEB and TCB versions directly because of how early in the hold it is, although I think I can change the number of roaches to make it different enough, and levels 6 thru 8 are very similar to the TCB edition levels 6 thru 8, but they're different enough - they're not identical carbon copies.

Note again because of how early in the hold these levels are, I intentionally re-use puzzles from other holds because of how limited the element palette is.

05-29-2024 at 11:23 PM
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1168
icon Re: 210 Levels of Terror: TSS Edition (+3)  
If you're reusing rooms because you don't have enough elements to work with, you should probably rethink the constraints you're working under. The easiest solution would be to bring forward elements from later versions so you can make meaningfully different rooms more quickly.

That being said, the levels are small enough that I'd think you'd be able to come up with enough distinct stuff for all of them.

[Last edited by hyperme at 05-30-2024 03:18 PM]
05-30-2024 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
I am intentionally not introducing later elements in the early levels because the original TSS hold didn't either - however I believe the way I changed the rooms from the TCB and GatEB versions should be different enough the solution is different, even if the elements are the same.

05-30-2024 at 09:37 PM
azb
Hi everyone,

I have drafted levels 9 thru 16 for this hold as well as for TCB and GatEB editions, but as always won't actually post them until levels 1 thru 8 are fully tested to make sure the holds are always the highest quality.

06-09-2024 at 09:10 PM
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 649

File: 210 TSS demos.demo (8.4 KB)
Downloaded 4 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: 210 Levels of Terror: TSS Edition (+1)  
Hi,

I decided to play this and, at the same time, to download the 210 levels of terror for TSS and GatEB and have a look. I will start with a general and more comprehensive comment, which is about your “210 saga”. I think the concept is good, and the puzzles are fun so far, and beginners/new players friendly.

However, if I were a beginner, I would choose only one of your “210” hold to start with, particularly, TSS one, since it is the most complete in terms of the elements used. Once I complete it, I am not a beginner anymore, so there is no point for me to play again another “210” hold, despite being medium difficulty once you reach certain levels.

Now, here’s my point: since every level is pretty small, have you considered joining every level 1, every level 2 (and so on) from the TCB, GatEB, and TSS into one single level, maybe even by making “separate” parts of the level to reflect the game style (lights, weather, room style, layout etc.)? This way you would have a single hold with every level being around 9-10 rooms, all of them of the same difficulty (btw, level 2, going down, is the same for TSS and GatEB for now). This concept could be applied to AE and JTRH holds, but I do not know how they are or how far you are into those. Please note that this is just my opinion and what I would do, but I think many players will get bored or do not play at all 5 different holds with the same concept. However, one (or two?) hold combined with the same concept and puzzles, I would definitely play that, especially because the puzzles so far are fun.

In addition, you could add some easy challenges for the first levels, which could intrigue new players, such as “clear the room facing only E” or “don’t do that” and stuff like that.

That being said, here’s some general and specific comments for the first 8 levels of “210” TSS, see also demos attached.

Click here to view the secret text

06-10-2024 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
About your Going Down: the room is trivial if you know where to start, IE the bottom most part.

About your Stop N' Go: the room is easy if you back up to the wall behind you when you first start.

I am glad you liked the other rooms though, and it is intentional the polish/aesthetics are the way they are for those levels, because in the original TSS the Older Holding Vats were basically the same design.

06-10-2024 at 08:10 PM
azb
I drafted levels 17 thru 24 as well, but made sure as always to not publish them until levels 9 thru 16 are tested and commented on in full.

Level 17 introduces how shallow water interacts differently with spiders versus roaches and similar monsters like evil eyes, level 18 introduces the staff with Arky taunting you about being a one-trick pony just like how it was in the original TSS hold, level 19 introduces using the staff on more monsters than just roaches and queens, level 20 introduces wubbas and how you can use the staff to push them, level 21 introduces hot tiles, level 22 introduces disarm tokens, level 23 introduces rock golems, and finally level 24 is a harder re-cap level of earlier concepts introduced.

All of levels 17 thru 24 are dedicated to one TSS section, Stuck With a Really Big Stick, but levels 25 thru 32 will be dedicated to more of the TCB progression rather than the TSS progression to introduce briar and sister doors, just like TCB level 4 did.

I am also thinking of using the Pit Thing to talk to you in that section, where he will hint in his obscure way that although King Dugan doesn't trust you directly, there is someone he does trust waiting for you, which you will learn exactly who it is yourself when you reach the surface after level 50.

06-14-2024 at 06:07 PM
azb
I also intentionally kept every hold seperate just because that's how it was in the official DROD progression, rather than merging them all into one hold which would be shorter but not as exciting story development wise for those not familar with the DROD canon already.

[Last edited by azb at 06-14-2024 06:08 PM : "Exciting", not "Excited"]
06-14-2024 at 06:08 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : 210 Levels of Terror: TSS Edition (210 short but engaging levels, using all DROD elements from the TSS official hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com