Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : 210 Levels of Terror: AE Edition (210 short but engaging levels, using nothing but AE elements)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
IP: Logged
icon Re: 210 Levels of Terror: AE Edition (0)  
I know I posted earlier about my ideas for all 210 levels of this hold, and I am thinking of making 210 levels for all 5 DROD versions, 5 seperate holds with the same concept, so my ideas for all of them, although I know obviously this is only a first draft and should make changes as needed:

For JtRH:

Click here to view the secret text

For TCB:

For GatEB:

And finally for TSS:

Note that cause it's the same level names and ideas each time, each hold has similar ideas for each level but with different elements because of the different game engine being used,

And each one is slightly different not only because of the engine, but also because it is fitting the story of the original hold it is referencing, like this current hold I am working on now.

02-22-2024 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Does anyone have comments on my ideas for the other 4 holds, or for more importantly, my improvements on Bricks A Lot entrance, so that I can publish the next 2 levels (Bing! and Stronghold)?

[Last edited by azb at 02-27-2024 07:21 PM : Re-visited my post for accuracy to what actually was going on at the time]
02-27-2024 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4596
I really like the idea of Bricks a Lot: Entrance. Some of the obstacles are far enough apart that you need to use up trapdoors, but you have to think carefully about which ones to use and how to get the mimic to the right horizontal space while going down the vertical corridor.

Unfortunately, the second half of the room feels a bit tacked-on, because none of the obstacles are far enough apart to require using the trapdoors any more. I would definitely tweak this a little.

As for the other holds, a 1050-level project is certainly ambitious ;) and I'm not sure why you want to do another "tribute to the canon holds in order" project, but hey, if it helps you get ideas and those ideas lead to fun rooms, there's no problem.

What kind of feedback were you looking for on your idea lists?

02-27-2024 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Just any feedback in general, like if you like the idea or think any details need revisiting, or literally anything else you could think of; "I don't like that idea" without an explanation is also okay here cause I am only looking for generic feedback,

and not the kind where I want to revise things and need particular details to revise them correctly.

02-27-2024 at 11:18 PM
azb
And yeah, the math does add up to that number, but again each level is very very short, so that's why I can get away with it more easily.

02-27-2024 at 11:19 PM
azb
For level 31 involving manipulating multiple mimics at once, does anyone know how to enforce needing all the mimics being present at the same exact time, so that way you can't cheat and finish using one mimic completely before starting using the other one?

Likewise, for level 32's idea, does anyone know to implement the idea of a door closing after a specific number of turns after you open it every time, using nothing but the elements used in AE KDD level 4 (wraithwings, walls, yellow doors, trapdoors etc, but no pressure plates or anything like that)?

02-27-2024 at 11:38 PM
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4596
Level 31: Each mimic can have a designated starting place (typically next to a roach), and then each starting place can be behind a door, and the orb that opens them all also closes a door blocking access to the mimic potions.

Level 32: With only KDD elements, the only thing that can close a (yellow) door is Beethro or a mimic striking an orb. So you would have to force the player to re-close the door, probably by having the initial opening release a roach that will go into a force arrow trap after a certain number of turns if (the same or another) orb isn't struck.

02-27-2024 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
icon Re: 210 Levels of Terror: AE Edition (+3)  
These are all great ideas! Thank you so much for them!

I wanted to intentionally limit my palette to AE only elements not only because of the theme, but more importantly I wanted to challenge myself to making clever devices/contraptions without needing to use fancy scripting for them.

02-28-2024 at 12:11 PM
azb
I am also going to use all of these mechanisms in section 5 thru 25/all the rest of the hold, which starts at level 33, as the hold becomes more and more complex, just like how the puzzles in KDD level 4 became much more complex than levels 1 thru 3.

02-28-2024 at 12:28 PM
azb
I have drafts of levels 33 thru 40 finished as well, so be prepared for wraithwings added to the mix of new things;

does anyone have any comments on levels 29 and 30 before I show levels 31 and 32?

[Last edited by azb at 03-07-2024 05:29 PM : Update the number of levels I have drafted]
03-07-2024 at 05:14 PM
azb
As mentioned earlier in the plans for every level, however, section 6 doesn't introduce new elements but just re-uses new elements in a more challenging way with harder puzzles that weren't seen before, just like KDD level 6 that it is referencing.

In particular:

Level 43 will get you used to lots of pit puzzles and trapdoor puzzles but no red doors yet

Level 44 will get you used to force arrow puzzles that only go in one way

Level 45 will get you used to more intensive combat, so expect mimics to be involved as well

Level 46 will get you use to more mimic manipulation puzzles

Level 47 will re-use level 17's idea but in a more complex manner

Level 48 will be a revision of level 15 with all the new puzzles
and elements you saw since then

Level 49 will be a level in the shape of a keychain

Level 50 will be a level involving tons of crumbly wall puzzles, like being extremely careful and precise with what walls you cut.

03-07-2024 at 05:35 PM
azb
More elaborates details on the next 50 levels after level 50:

03-08-2024 at 06:59 PM
azb
Ideas for levels 101 thru 150:

03-09-2024 at 11:45 AM
azb
Ideas for levels 151 thru 210, the rest of the hold:

[Last edited by azb at 03-09-2024 12:38 PM : Fixed typos in first line]
03-09-2024 at 12:37 PM
azb
Does anyone have any feedback on levels 29 and 30, so I can fix anything that needs to be fixed before I just randomly send levels 31 and 32?

03-10-2024 at 06:01 PM
azb
I have drafts of levels 33 thru 50 already done, so all of sections 5 and 6, so that way they are easy to send out once I have comments on levels 31 and 32; however, I know not to make them available until levels 29 and 30 are commented on, and also levels 31 and 32 after those levels.

I also know as always to post only batches of 2 levels at most at a time, because I don't want to spam testers with level after level all at once.

This is even more important for the later sections where the puzzles get more involved, and I don't want them to sit through tons and tons of tricky puzzles and intense combat rooms and be forced to re-do all of them if I end up having to change them.

[Last edited by azb at 03-13-2024 01:54 PM : Clarified my intention]
03-13-2024 at 11:47 AM
azb
Now I have all of up to level 71 drafted - the puzzles definitely get more involved starting in level 67 than the sections you just came from, but the catch is there is no tar or snakes, despite them literally just being introduced, just invsibility potions and all the elements from sections 1 thru 6.

03-18-2024 at 06:39 PM
azb
Okay, now it's up to level 74 drafted. And actually, I don't include wraithwings either in the puzzles I am doing, so it's actually using only the elements from sections 1 thru 4, and I don't use pre-placed pits either, only trapdoors, because it's just like KDD level 9, with tons of manipulation puzzles.

03-22-2024 at 12:54 PM
azb
Does anyone have any comments on levels 29 and 30 before I show levels 31 and 32?

03-30-2024 at 10:47 PM
azb
While I waited for feedback, I have drafts all the way up to level 142 done now, but again I will only post 2 levels at a time and wait for levels 29 and 30 to be tested on before I post any more levels, end of story.

04-24-2024 at 11:17 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : 210 Levels of Terror: AE Edition (210 short but engaging levels, using nothing but AE elements)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com