Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Brain pathing for scripted characters
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
IP: Logged
icon Brain pathing for scripted characters (+2)  
Currently scripted monsters can't access brain pathing. However with modern DRODscript technology there are ways to change this.

Firstly, there is the Get Natural Target command, which supports multiple options, but currently only has one. An option of "Brained Choice" could return the tile that would be picked by a brained monster with the same movement type as the character.

Secondly, 5.2 will be adding a new feature that allows certain pre-defined functions to be used where ever a variable can be used. This technology can be used to provide direct access to tile scores, for any movement type. (even the special ones used by horns)

Are there any other brain-based thoughts for scripting that people have?

11-13-2022 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Brain pathing for scripted characters (0)  
I'd like to have my scripts be able to easily tell the difference between whether they can smell an invisible player themselves, or if they're only smelling it through a brain's "nose".

11-13-2022 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Brain pathing for scripted characters (+2)  
"Brained Choice" sounds like it would be enough for the primary use case of giving custom monsters brained movement; however, I have a couple of questions about how exactly it would work.

* What would it return if there is no brained path -- would it be smart enough to compute the monster's unbrained move (depending on its base type) in that case?

* Would it be correctly fooled by decoys etc? (Note that the second feature hyperme listed could be used to script a custom brained monster that is not fooled and paths strictly to the player only.)

averagemoe wrote:
I'd like to have my scripts be able to easily tell the difference between whether they can smell an invisible player themselves, or if they're only smelling it through a brain's "nose".

Very easy. Just subtract the monster's coordinates from the player's to check whether the player is within smelling range.

11-13-2022 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Brain pathing for scripted characters (0)  
This would allow us to make scared monsters, right? Get the chosen square and then we can pick the tile opposite.

So we could make a roach queen without the "turn to centre" behaviour, or an always scared wraithwing, or an anti-wubba.

Actually, could we get an option to return the direction instead of the tile? That would make it simpler to do this, or to return a "no brained path" value.

11-13-2022 at 11:54 PM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Brain pathing for scripted characters (+1)  
Now that I hear that, maybe what would make things easiest would be a command to check whether the player is invisible at all.

11-14-2022 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: Brain pathing for scripted characters (+1)  
Here some thoughts about thoughts:

For the genuine, and probably more useful brained pathing emulation, it would be possible for a "Brained Choice" option to be fooled by decoys, and to fall back to unbrained moves if there isn't a path. A decoy-proof option could also be provided.

An option to provide the direction of a brained step would also be a fairly simple extension. When the brain would ask a monster to wait, or when no path is available, it would put a value of 4 into _ReturnX. (possibly the orientation version could put the opposite of the prefered direction in _ReturnY?)

Querying the player state is a little outside of the scope of this request, but it should be possible. Various options are possible, such as "Wait for" command. With options for Invisible, Fast, and Powered.

11-14-2022 at 08:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Brain pathing for scripted characters
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com