Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : A Christmas song to cringe to (Why, AC/DC? Why?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1530
IP: Logged
icon A Christmas song to cringe to (+2)  
Okay so,

For some context, I like my classic rock. It's not my absolute favorite genre of music, but it's about the only music in the intersection of "gets radio play" and "I actually enjoy it".

So, I usually listen to a local rock station when I sleep. And the one around where I live presently, in the month of December, mixes in some Christmas songs with their usual fare. Now, I want to say "rock" Christmas songs, which is partially true, but not all of it is what I would call rock. What isn't rock, is usually intended to be comedic and sometimes kind of unpleasant to me, but at least unpleasant is better than the bland, corporate cardboard that gets played on certain...other stations as "Christmas music".

This year, they started playing a particular song by AC/DC that I don't think I've heard before. I don't imagine that this is a new song, but it was certainly new to me. Here is a link if you are interested, but you may want to read the below as a warning for what you're in for if you're unsure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK3QJP78mog

So these were more or less my reactions on hearing the song (and knowing that it's intended to be a "Christmas rock song"):
-Okay, the background singers are going "ho! ho! ho!"? Sort of like that "Aight" sound they do in "TNT", right? No, wait, those don't sound like "Ho", they sound like "oh". So now I don't know whether they're trying but failing or not actually trying.
-Oh my gosh what is the lead singer DOING WITH HIS VOICE?! Okay, AC/DC's singer has a characteristic way of not singing but more like half-screeching, and it's usually a little off-tone, but he usually does it a little lower down. This is up in the range where it physically hurts me to hear him strain to not actually hit the notes at all. Like, I have a weird affectation as a singer that when I can hear someone straining for a note, I feel a mild sympathetic pain in my own throat, and I feel this the entire time I hear him trying to sing.
-Wait a minute, this is a parody of that "Favorite things" song? That's not even a Christmas song! I mean, I think it's from a musical or something, which is not expressly a Christmas musical in any way, and the bland cardboard stations sometimes play a version with jingle bells playing over it and pretend it's a Christmas song, but it's definitely not the first thing I'd think of as "a good song to make a rock Christmas parody of".
-"We like dog bites?!" Oh wait, no, they changed the lyrics of the chorus, never mind. At least the singers for the chorus are singing in their range.
-Wait wait wait, the title of this is...that? This has no musical nor lyrical allusion to Jingle Bells whatsoever, why is it called that? Is this how they're shoehorning Christmas into the song? I mean, apart from the requisite "jingle bell" sound which you can barely even hear.
-...Oh, so they're just going to yell the title at the end to try and justify its existence. Why? Oh, and tack on a "ho ho haaoww" for good measure, why not.

Anyway, I can't say I like this song in any way, except that it's kind of hilariously awful to me to listen to. It induces that special kind of cringe which is slightly painful but also I can't help but laugh through.

I don't know why I felt like sharing this, but there haven't been very many posts on the forum the past few days, 'tis the season and all, and it's past midnight where I am. So...there's that. Enjoy! (Or don't.)

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-11-2021 06:32 AM]
12-11-2021 at 06:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
icon Re: A Christmas song to cringe to (0)  
For what it's worth, that's not a real AC/DC song, but it seems to be from parody singer Bob Rivers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Santa_Claus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Rivers#KISW_Twisted_Radio

12-22-2021 at 08:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1530
icon Re: A Christmas song to cringe to (0)  
I dunno, the radio station seemed pretty convinced it was actually AC/DC.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

12-23-2021 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

File: Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 7.07.30.png (196.2 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Other
icon Re: A Christmas song to cringe to (+1)  
Xindaris wrote:
I dunno, the radio station seemed pretty convinced it was actually AC/DC.

And so it seems was the uploader of the YouTube video you posted, but YouTube's content ID disagrees (see attachment).

And that doesn't sound like Bon Scott or Brian Johnson singing (at least to me).

[Last edited by Bombadil at 01-06-2022 06:13 AM]
01-06-2022 at 06:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : A Christmas song to cringe to (Why, AC/DC? Why?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com