Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : "Make a Good DROD Level" Contest proposal (freeform architecture contest, anyone?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon "Make a Good DROD Level" Contest proposal (+1)  
Hi everyone,
For quite a while, I restrained myself from trying to host any contests, for a few reasons: I didn't have time, I didn't want to pile on another compilation I was responsible for, while the Custom element contest compilation was still unfinished, so on, so forth. Those things no longer apply, and I think I would enjoy seeing the results of another contest.

I've put out a few possible contest gimmicks now and then, but what I'd really like to do now is just a "do whatever" contest. No special restrictions, even when it comes to things like custom elements. Just--make a level in DROD, and make it good. I was thinking something like 1 level per entry, up to 3 entries per person, and allow/encourage people to "collaborate" in the sense of testing each other's entries. Or even the more ambitious sense of choosing to work together on a level somehow, I dunno.

I'd be equally happy to run this as an unofficial or official contest. But I don't want to put it out there and have nobody participate, so I thought I'd post this thread first just to gauge interest and avoid stepping on toes (if someone else has a contest in the works already, for example).

So: Let me know your opinions here, please!

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-05-2021 10:39 PM]
06-05-2021 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: "Make a Good DROD Level" Contest proposal (+1)  
Personally, I prefer to have some sort of theme or restriction, as it helps to narrow down the design space.

Plus, if I'm going to think up some rooms all by myself, I'd probably want to just make my own hold out of it.

Then again, without any sort of deadline I tend to not get around to making my own holds.

06-06-2021 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: "Make a Good DROD Level" Contest proposal (+1)  
That's fair, but you're always free to think up your own theme, or arbitrarily steal a theme from an earlier contest if you want. Actually, maybe I can post a bunch of leftover titles from the Hold Title Mixup Contest as "design prompts" that people can choose to use or not.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

06-06-2021 at 08:35 PM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: "Make a Good DROD Level" Contest proposal (0)  
Hmmm... Let me say what I would consider a "Good" Drod level.

It's creating a level that looks good, and has puzzles with evolving difficulty, so the experience feels also good.

For me an example would be that creepypasta hold, where you have to go in haunted mines. It's one of the best holds, and something that I would like to see more. Great visual aesthetics, story complementing puzzles, and the proper difficulty that steadily increases. I myself have some plan about creating such hold, but I'm still thinking about how to make it satisfying puzzle-wise and interesting visually

Maybe something in that vein?

[Last edited by Illusionist at 06-08-2021 04:29 PM]
06-08-2021 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: "Make a Good DROD Level" Contest proposal (0)  
I'd be interested in seeing what kinds of levels ended up being submitted to something as open-ended as this. I'd probably try to put up an entry or two.

06-08-2021 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : "Make a Good DROD Level" Contest proposal (freeform architecture contest, anyone?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com