Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Isn'\\t "\\this"\\ annoying? (backslashes in PM'\\s and beta board titles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Isn'\\t "\\this"\\ annoying? (+1)  
I don'\t know exactly when this bug was introduced, but there has been a persistent bug on this board for a while. Namely, any PM'\s or beta board titles that use quotation marks ("\"\) or apostrophes ('\) get a backslash appended after every single one. This is especially egregious if the PM gets replied to using the quote feature, resulting in later replies having several backslashes appended to a single apostrophe ("\ I'\\m "\).

I know this is also an issue in beta boards because I happened to make one a while back for Beethro'\s Awakening, and it got rendered exactly as I wrote it just now instead of the intended way with no backslash. I guess it'\s a much smaller issue in this case since beta boards and holds with titles including apostrophes and quotes are both much rarer than PM'\s, but since it looks like the same issue, maybe it has the same origin.

I admit it'\s a minor annoyance at worst, but is this something someone can fix without too substantial of effort?

EDIT: Okay, it looks like backslashes in topic titles also get backslashes appended to them??? I only wrote one backslash per quote or apostrophe in the title and description originally, and now there'\s two.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-24-2021 06:57 PM]
03-24-2021 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Isn'\\\\t "\\\\this"\\\\ annoying? (0)  
Xindaris wrote:
I don'\t know exactly when this bug was introduced, but there has been a persistent bug on this board for a while. Namely, any PM'\s or beta board titles that use quotation marks ("\"\) or apostrophes ('\) get a backslash appended after every single one. This is especially egregious if the PM gets replied to using the quote feature, resulting in later replies having several backslashes appended to a single apostrophe ("\ I'\m "\).

I know this is also an issue in beta boards because I happened to make one a while back for Beethro'\s Awakening, and it got rendered exactly as I wrote it just now instead of the intended way with no backslash. I guess it'\s a much smaller issue in this case since beta boards and holds with titles including apostrophes and quotes are both much rarer than PM'\s, but since it looks like the same issue, maybe it has the same origin.

I admit it'\s a minor annoyance at worst, but is this something someone can fix without too substantial of effort?

EDIT: Okay, it looks like backslashes in topic titles also get backslashes appended to them??? I only wrote one backslash per quote or apostrophe in the title and description originally, and now there'\s two.
Wait, is it happening in posts too or are you just doing that intentionally? It's weird that it's appending backslashes rather than prepending them...

(I quoted your post so that in the off chance it's happening in posts we'll have a backslashsplosion. If so, hopefully whoever replies next quotes me!)
03-24-2021 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
I can attest that it actually affects the raw text. As proof, here's a word copy and pasted directly from a PM I got recently.

don\'t

03-24-2021 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
I was doing it in the post as a half-joke, to demonstrate the annoyance present in PMs; it's not in normal posts themselves. However, the extra backslashes being appended to existing backslashes does seem to be present in both topic titles and reply titles; notice how our replies have added even more backslashes to the topic title.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-24-2021 08:49 PM]
03-24-2021 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Isn'\\t "\\this"\\ annoying? (backslashes in PM'\\s and beta board titles)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com