Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question about Flash Version of KDD Level 13 ((and other extra rooms from the flash version))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
IP: Logged
icon Question about Flash Version of KDD Level 13 (0)  
The question goes:
I wonder if all of the extra levels from the flash version of KDD along with the brand new (and superior) level 13 could be released as either some add-on, or idk, some separate Hold? I mean, I would like to replay these levels in my DROD 5.0 engine, especially that there were some post-master levels that I haven't beaten yet, and now with flash being "officially" dead (albeit unofficially still being used and alive as ever), I do wonder if it isn't better to have these extras available somewhere in some form for DROD completists like myself.

Or even to save these rooms from oblivion. There's too much lost media on the internet already.

Click here to view the secret text

What do you think? Yay or nay?

I also still have savefiles for the flash versions just in case

[Last edited by Illusionist at 02-06-2021 06:43 PM]
02-06-2021 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Question about Flash Version of KDD Level 13 (0)  
There's a problem. Flash Drod uses a smaller room size, so we'd need some way to cut out all the extra squares.

In fact, I once tried to recreate the level in the regular engine, and I got some good mileage out of pushing the parts that came from Flash to the edge closest to the entrance that the monsters can be accessed from. But then there's 2S1W, where you can reach the monsters from entrances on both the east and west.

02-06-2021 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Question about Flash Version of KDD Level 13 (0)  
averagemoe wrote:
There's a problem. Flash Drod uses a smaller room size, so we'd need some way to cut out all the extra squares.

In fact, I once tried to recreate the level in the regular engine, and I got some good mileage out of pushing the parts that came from Flash to the edge closest to the entrance that the monsters can be accessed from. But then there's 2S1W, where you can reach the monsters from entrances on both the east and west.

I do remember that some secret rooms have a hint page, and had holds created by authors for the sake of giving the demo as to how to beat a certain level

I've look through my notes, I saved one for
Level 17 2N2W
Level 16 1S1E, 3S2E
Level 5 2E

There might be more, we would have to look through the hint section and that would mean less work at least for 4 extra rooms.

The biggest problem would probably be level 13, and that's a shame, because I have a feeling that a lot of veteran DRODers probably never played this version.

And one thing I remember about the flash version, which might be also a problem, is best explained using level 12 1S as an example

In flash version is possible to use the first eye in the bottom right to block the serpent and kill it completely, which means that eye moves first before the snake. As I played the flash version first, I was really surprised that I couldn't do it in the regular version. I mention it, in case it is a problem in some rooms, albeit hopefully it won't.

[Last edited by Illusionist at 02-06-2021 09:41 PM]
02-06-2021 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question about Flash Version of KDD Level 13 ((and other extra rooms from the flash version))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com