Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : FEED ME (...says the adder)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged

File: FEED ME.hold (11 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
License: Public Domain
icon FEED ME (+2)  
I'm posting this because Insoluble wanted me to, in DROD chat.

Basically, a while back I suddenly had ideas for some rooms themed around adders eating/not eating things, or maybe more accurately eating the correct number of things. As I built the rooms, it became clear that a general theme of visual symmetry with puzzles built partly around bits of asymmetry was also present. Since I don't really like manipulating snakes, I tried to minimize that aspect as much as possible, and when it was inevitable it's still at a difficulty level that even I can manage. Also, some rooms try to be deceptive about what needs to go where.

I tried to think of each different thing the player might need to get an adder to eat (or not eat), and build at least one room around that thing. However, the Entrance is just a silly "kill all the things" puzzle once the rest of the level is done, 3N1E is basically a note to self to try to build something using those elements, and I'm not really happy with 1S2E as my "feed him a slayer" room, it just feels too trivial. Other than that I would say that I am very satisfied with all the puzzles I've built here, at least until someone finds the really obvious leaks in them that I missed.

I'm not entirely sure if this will actually be published in this form, or eventually compiled into something bigger (like another "what the hey" or something). Checkpoints are sporadic because this isn't really in what I'd call a "finished" or "near finished" state. But otherwise, since it's been a while since I've made progress on this, some feedback on the puzzles themselves would probably be a good thing.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-29-2022 06:20 PM]
01-21-2021 at 06:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218

File: FEED ME- KituU demos.demo (10.3 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
icon Re: FEED ME (+2)  
Hi !
i'm back after more than a year, very happy to play this, like the theme very much, and hope for the sequel : Feed Me Not! "

So, didn't finish the hold, but before my laptop dies, i upload current progress.

Mostly so far are fun and challenging, but 2S don't get it, is this some perfectly timing thing ?

1N : Solved the room as the scroll says
So, for me the challenge would be how it could be solved otherwise. Quite a lot of trial and error

2N : maybe its me out of practice, took me a lot of moves to solve !

2N2W : 1 extra potion

2N1W : tar/mud/gel switchers, none needed ?

1S2E : I agree is quite simple

[Last edited by KituU at 01-06-2022 06:29 PM]
01-06-2022 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
KituU

File: FEED ME- KituU demos.demo (12.2 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
icon Re: FEED ME (+1)  
Finished , very nice, always enjoy your holds !

1N1E : don’t think this is the intended solution,

01-11-2022 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: FEED ME (0)  
Hey, thanks for taking a look (and your demos and comments). Sorry for taking so long to reply; I haven't had time to look at the demos before today. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Looks like you found some breaks and unintended stuff. To go down the list of comments on solutions to rooms:

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-21-2022 01:40 AM]
01-21-2022 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Xindaris wrote:

Hi,

2N1E: no such room in the hold

3N :

01-24-2022 at 04:21 PM
Xindaris
Okay, first: UPDATE: Added leak fixes as discussed in my previous post, and 1N2E should exist now.

Second, for 3N: I think you missed the fact that the on-off plate at (20, 8) opens the door at (24, 9). So Beethro opens that door by standing on the 5-wide plate (which also happens in your demo), then he steps off and kills the adder, re-opening the door for good.

Third: One subtle point I missed about my solution to 1N in my previous post is

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-25-2022 12:55 AM]
01-25-2022 at 12:54 AM
KituU

File: FEED ME- KituU demos 2.demo (13 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Hi

1E : couldn’t find the way to use the mirror, but again didn’t need it. Guess you’ll be placing another bomb? I do think it is cool though, without the mirror

1N1E : maybe this still isn’t the intended solution ? you want the temporals to feed the adder ?

3N : yes, no need to pull the aumlitch to the pp, I’m still rusty. Solved it witout using the kegs and maybe it is more interesting with no kegs , and only 3 aumlitch?

2N2W : couldn’t solve yet
Please, add some checkpoints here and there

01-26-2022 at 06:53 PM
Xindaris
1E: I don't think I can easily patch that with another bomb. The main thing I'm disappointed to see not being used in your solution is the full use of the decoy, though. Maybe I could fix this by making one of the 'hallways' longer? It needs more thought.

1N1E: Definitely not what's intended. I think I can prevent something like that with some well-placed tunnels, so the eye and roach can't go where they're not supposed to.

2N2W: Yes, I probably need to add checkpoints to every room. Did I mention I originally posted this in a -very- unfinished state? I'll try and remember to add them before the next update. If you want a hint:

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-26-2022 07:17 PM]
01-26-2022 at 07:16 PM
Xindaris
UPDATE:
-Added checkpoints to various previously checkpointless rooms
-Added tunnels to leak fix 1N1E.

I still want to fix 1E and make some sort of improvement to 2E, but those both require more thought.

I'm curious about 1N1E, whether the goblins are strictly necessary or redundant? If all the other enforcement mechanisms work properly then it seems like there should be no way to exploit the existence of the 3 available timeclones in an unintended way at this point, even if the goblins are removed.

EDIT: I think I found a tweak to 1E that actually enforces the thing I thought was important, although it makes something else a bit more obvious. On the other hand, the solution now also incorporates something from your unintended solutions to the older versions. I re-updated the first post with the change.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-29-2022 06:21 PM]
01-29-2022 at 05:49 PM
KituU

File: FEED ME- KituU demos 3.demo (12.8 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Hi,

1N1E : seems now it successfully reinforces your idea.
Don't understand the need for the pp (21,18) and door (21,13) ?
Yeah, the goblins are now optional, not very difficult to record tough, the most interesting part is

1N : don't know how you

3N : still do not understand

So, awesome, very nice puzzles
01-30-2022 at 08:22 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : FEED ME (...says the adder)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com