Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Setting Screen - remap additional keys
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
IP: Logged

File: settings.png (555.7 KB)
Downloaded 236 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Setting Screen - remap additional keys (+3)  

I'd like to see the following options added:

Demo screen key: [key]
Save demo key: [key]
Puzzle mode key: [key]
Test room in editor key: [key]
Turn on/off music in-game: [key]
Turn on/off sounds in-game: [key]
Turn on/off voices in-game: [key]
...more?...

One of the reasons is that the F-keys are often used by OSes for systemwide functions, so they should be able to be remapped.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 10-21-2020 07:08 PM]
10-21-2020 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
icon Re: Setting Screen - remap additional keys (0)  
disoriented wrote:
One of the reasons is that the F-keys are often used by OSes for systemwide functions, so they should be able to be remapped.
Also, it's a major pain to press them on most laptops (they've been redefined as other things, so you have to hold Fn to get the function part).
10-21-2020 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Setting Screen - remap additional keys (+3)  
I am curious which OSes use bare function keys for global functions - I know notebooks with their blue FN keys, and sometimes the default is that using F1-12 requires holding the FN key (which sometimes can be changed in bios). I'd think it's just some software that is installed that does it.

Either way, I am working on this feature next. Specific options I have in mind that I will make customizable:

- Toggle room lock (Shift)
- Toggle puzzle mode (F3)
- Open puzzle mode options (Alt+F3)
- Toggle turn count visibility (F7)
- Chat box/stats (Enter)
- Chat history (Ctrl+Enter)
- Quick demo record (F4)
- Begin/End demo recording (F5)
- Watch recorded demos (F6)
- Toggle full screen (F10)
- Screenshot (F11)
- Save room image (Ctrl+F11)

Do note though:
- Toggle room lock will no longer work for just shift, I'll change the default to P (Would go with L but that's used for movement on notebook layout)
- It will still not be possible to remap Ctrl+<move> for the movement macro (do the move and its opposite immediately)
- It will be possible to use modifier keys when mapping on your own (as in, Ctrl+/Alt+/Shift+ a key)

That's the plan so far.

11-09-2020 at 12:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
This is a nice UX feature. Helps to expose the existence of these commands as well as allowing remapping them.

Suggest maybe a brand new settings menu tab for listing these commands, as opposed to adding them to the current commands tab.
skell wrote:
Do note though:
- Toggle room lock will no longer work for just shift, I'll change the default to P (Would go with L but that's used for movement on notebook layout)
Ah, that's too bad. This will likely be confusing for current players who upgrade...but what can we do...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-09-2020 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Setting Screen - remap additional keys (+1)  
It might actually be not that much additional work to allow naked modifiers, to use Sudoku's vocabulary.

11-09-2020 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Setting Screen - remap additional keys (+7)  
PR

That's a big one. The way it works should be self-explanatory for the most part, but there are some edge cases I need to mention:

1. You should not get error beeps when opening an old profile - the setting format for how the keymaps is stored has changed but it should transparently update it behind the scenes.
2. It is not possible to use modifier keys for the commands that support macros - so moving, rotating and waiting. It should report it accordingly.
3. It is not possible to use a modifier-key-version of a key that's used by a macro command. In other words, if you have Numpad 5 as Wait, you can't use Alt+Numpad 5 for anything.
4. It should not allow you to save settings when there is any unmapped keys.
5. Duplicate mappings will be automatically unset.
6. It should be possible to use a lone ctrl/alt/shift for non-macro keys. Do note that movement macros use Ctrl modifier, so it's probably a bad idea to register lone Ctrl for anything.
7. There are a couple of actions in the game that have no keymap exposed but I think they are niche enough that it's fair. They are:
- Ingame F2 - open options
- Ingame F3 - Force full style reload
- Ingame Ctrl+F7 - Show variable changing
- Ingame Alt+F7 - Show framerate
- Editor F2 - copy all variable references to clipboard
- Editor F3 - Force full style reload
- Editor F4 - Save room
- Editor - all the menu tabbing hotkeys
I am also tired of this feature so I think these can wait for 5.2.1?

11-12-2020 at 10:28 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I love how you designed these changes. It all sounds very nice!
skell wrote:
I am also tired of this feature so I think these can wait for 5.2.1?
Yeah, those are primarily development features, and I don't know how much these matter to remap. I guess someone can speak up if there's anything important to address with these.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-13-2020 04:51 AM]
11-13-2020 at 04:51 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Setting Screen - remap additional keys
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com