Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Some Elemental Trickery (Fire n Ice)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Professor Tio
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 100
IP: Logged
icon Some Elemental Trickery (+2)  
So I got an idea for something fancy that I'm implementing in a larger hold. I botched it some in my efforts to make it as close to the Goblin/Wyrm Weakness behaviors as possible, but I came up with some set-ups utilizing the quirk my scripting has. The current function is this:
- Whenever the player stands next to "elemental" monsters and is holding one of (presently) 2 "elemental" weapons, the weapon's power changes based on the match-up. Presently, there's only 2 elements in my set-up, so it's a simple "hold the opposite element to get a boost" concept.
-> Holding a fire-elemental weapon next to an ice-elemental monster will double the weapon's power, but holding an ice-elemental weapon next to the same monster halves the weapon's power. The same applies when flipped around; hold an ice weapon next to a fire enemy for doubled power, but a fire weapon gets halved next to that monster.
-> This effect also means one can get an advantage against other monsters nearby, not just the elemental monster itself!

These are the generic scripts as of right now:
Generic Weapon Script:
Click here to view the secret text

Generic Elemental Monster Script:

As is, the script interferes with itself whenever multiple elementals are present in one room (turn order means whichever elemental goes last is the only one that proctors the weapon modifier), but otherwise, thoughts on how this is looking?

11-11-2019 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Some Elemental Trickery (0)  
You should probably have a global script that resets them all to 0, and then each Elemental monster should increment a relevant counter: when next to an Ice monster, Ice_count is incremented. Then let each weapon decide how to handle the Atk adjustment itself.

That way, you can more easily add more elements and have more complex interactions between them.
11-13-2019 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Professor Tio
Okay I got it, thanks! I feel like giving an example of one of my set-ups, so here's the first I came up with that comes up about halfway through my hold:

Edit - Hang on, I'm trying to sort out the broken image...

[Last edited by Professor Tio at 11-13-2019 07:53 PM]
11-13-2019 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
You're using the link to the page showing the image at imgur, when you actually need to use the url of the image itself. Try this: https://i.imgur.com/aeTVNVd.png

Here are some links to Things!

11-13-2019 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Professor Tio
Okay that worked, thanks.

11-13-2019 at 07:53 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Some Elemental Trickery (Fire n Ice)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com