Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : All the truths and falsehoods (April Fool's Day 2019)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged

File: tlp_cover_250.jpg (47.1 KB)
Downloaded 836 times.
License: Public Domain
icon All the truths and falsehoods (+5)  
As you may know, Caravel has an august tradition of latching on to April Fool's Day (AFD, for short) as an opportunity to share (literally) incredible news. Some of it is simply outrageous, while other bits, though covered in a veneer of outrage, may actually be true. AFD, 2019 Edition, is no exception.

This year, we bring you multiple exciting news items presented in the form of logic statements! With some exclamation points!

One of these items is false. The rest are true.

Mike Rimer is preparing to run a DROD-inspired Kickstarter campaign this spring, and it's not a video game.

(Mike's the one writing this, and he doesn't normally refer to himself in the third person, but for logic's sake, he had to resort to objectivity in this case.)

Mike is collaborating with some die-hard DROD fans in developing a DROD RPG-like puzzle adventure dungeon crawl book called Twisty Little Passages.

(Bonus points if you know the reference.) Yes, you read that right. Mike is working with an experienced group of fantasy artists and illustrators to bring forth a high-quality puzzle experience that (as far as anyone involved knows) has never before been seen in printed book form. For those familiar with board-gaming terminology, this project can be described as a "legacy Eurogame" filled with a series of puzzle campaigns you advance through one after another in a classic fantasy-themed setting.

Each puzzle will take the form of a dungeon level or similarly dangerous area, where you need to find your way from the start to the goal, fighting monsters along the way, getting power-ups and special items, using keys to open doors, carefully planning routes, and trying hard not to die before defeating the boss at the end. This project will be produced as a 8.5" x 11" full-color book via high-quality offset printing, and the pages will be laminated so you can play through each puzzle area by drawing right on the page with a dry-erase marker.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=43531

A lot more information will be released soon. If you'd like to be informed the moment the Kickstarter goes live, you can sign up for the Caravel Illumination newsletter here:
http://www.caravelgames.com

There is a credible rumor going around that the 2018 "Deadlies" Awards will be held soon

The "Deadlies" are a cherished tradition. It's a time to vote for your favorite creations published last year, including level sets, game scripts, stories, art, meta-content and more. If you want to see what was featured in last year's event, you can review it here to whet your appetite to vote for the best of 2018:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=43065

Edit: 2018 preliminaries are here:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=43843

The End of DROD is coming

Erik Hermansen has been scheming away in his basement these past years and has produced an all-new gaming creation that is decidedly Not DROD. It goes way past DROD. So far past, in fact, that he lovingly refers to this new game as "The DROD Killer", with the expectation that many DROD players will unilaterally prefer his new game to DROD and there may be something of an exodus. Beethro has grit; this game has attitude. If Erik's claims hold true, the game could eventually be released as the Deadlier Rooms of Deadlierest Death, or maybe something zany like the Mortifying Multiplex of Mort. Or, since Erik considers it a "death killer", maybe it should be technically referred to as the Lively Levels of Life (LLOL!).

Regardless, we don't think DROD is likely to go away anytime soon, and there's no reason why people can't enjoy both kinds of games. It's been gratifying to read the praise the DROD franchise has received over the years, such as being dubbed the "best puzzle game of all time", and there's no reason there couldn't be, say, multiple best puzzle game franchises of all time.

So by all means, have a look at what Erik is cooking up! And after reading about it, if you have a better suggestion for what the game should be called, please share it!

The DROD Killer

One of these statements is a paradox.

Happy AFD, and happy DRODing, not-DRODing, and TLPing!

Mike

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-03-2019 03:12 AM]
04-01-2019 at 05:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: All the truths and falsehoods (+1)  
It's the last item that's false. None of them are a paradox.

04-01-2019 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
averagemoe wrote:
The DROD Killer is real! Glad I can count you among the believers.

-Erik

04-01-2019 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: All the truths and falsehoods (0)  
averagemoe wrote:
Are you willing to bet your reality on that?

04-01-2019 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1055
I can't believe DROD is dead, and after I put some work into fixing stuff.

Time to fork my fork and start on the DROD Killer Killer: Hazardous Zones of Hazards

04-01-2019 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
I'm sad. DROD was my hero. eh kills monsters and doesn't afraid of anything. But not anymore.

RIP DROD (1996-2019).

[Last edited by The Architest at 04-02-2019 07:38 AM]
04-02-2019 at 07:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: All the truths and falsehoods (0)  
"I'm not dead yet!"
- DROD

Edit: ...and Gandalf

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-03-2019 03:07 AM]
04-02-2019 at 05:28 PM
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Well Gandalf ought to know...

04-02-2019 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: All the truths and falsehoods (+3)  
April 2 Truth - everything I said in the DROD Killer article is true, sans a little misleading artwork (roaches, sword) and posturing (DROD is unkillable, of course) . The actual name of the game under development is "the God Killer".

And we know Twisty Little Passages is very real. Ditto the Deadlies.

-Erik

04-02-2019 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : All the truths and falsehoods (April Fool's Day 2019)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com