Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Waving Views (Unintentionally Xindaris-Inspired)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Professor Tio
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 100
IP: Logged

File: Waving Views Finalization C.hold (14.1 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Waving Views (+1)  
Okay but in all seriousness, I didn't know beforehand that Xindaris had made a lone room that worked like the puzzles here do, what with using evil eyes and citizens.

Anyway yeah, first go at making a hold! Two rooms here have scripting, one just for entity detection and the other as a little preview to my other hold in-development. Other than that, this hold is 100% vanilla stuff, and fairly easy stuff at that, I think. Feedback is appreciated!

[Last edited by Professor Tio at 03-19-2019 04:12 PM]
02-03-2019 at 05:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670

File: Waving Views - kieran.demo (8.6 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Waving Views (+2)  
OK I Mastered the hold fairly quickly. Demos are attached, press F6 to enter the demo screen where you can import them and view them, can view them from the editor too.

This hold mostly focuses on fights rather than puzzles, and I appreciate that the hold tries very hard to make fights with restrictions that make it interesting rather than the usual enemy hordes we've all played lots of times before. For this, I think the hold stands on its own and is quite good, especially as a first hold, although some rooms are definitely better than others. I don't mind the odd monster battle now and then rather than puzzle solving, but it definitely needs to be shaken up to work, which this hol does.

I wrote comments as I solved each room, they are in the order I solved them, so it jumps all over the place.

Entrance: Nice simple opener.

1S: This was extremely trial and error, until I noticed that there was a simple pattern to which doors opened next. I was going to moan about this but now I just feel silly as really it was much more straightforward than I thought. Cool concept. I do wonder if the initial Pressure Plate setup couldn't just be simplified, is the Roach Queen necessary?

1N1W: This room is OK. I felt like you basically have to get lucky enough to have the adder behave and shrink itself to make things manageable.

1W: The evil eyes might as well not be there given the speed potion. Still a perfectly fine room, if a bit on the easy side.

1N2E: Because all of the fegundos merely have to go to the same corner this room felt fairly short and easy, as you can make as many diagonal steps as you like and then it's just a case of waiting for the moment to make an orthogonal step to line up properly. I dunno about this room, but honestly I'm glad it's not trickier.

2N1E: Classic Sokoban, but occasionally you have to wait a bit. The eyes contribute nothing to the puzzle in practice.

2N: Once I got into the rhythm of the eye beam pattern, this room was a lot of fun!

2E: This one was impossible to plan and was super trial and error, no real thought, just go in, try some stuff and undo a lot.

1N1E: This room is the best and most interesting of the bunch. A classic trapdoor puzzle that forces you to keep moving to the right, this was an excellent twist on a classic puzzle, I really enjoyed this one.

1N: Without a doubt this will be the most controversial room. I had fun, but I know some people will rage over this one, but those people rage over waterskipper hordes regardless. This is pretty tough however, hard to know how to really get good opening to advance without being forced to retreat and undo your progress.

1E: Yuck. The player being invisible is good, but manipulating a Stalwart so he doesn't wake up an eye is just nasty. Not a fan of this one, extremely trial and error in a bad way.

1S1E: This one was cool, the fact that you have to point your sword to the right at the right moment definitely makes this more difficult. This took a number of attempts, in the end I came up with what I felt was a logical solution, with the eyes and beams largely providing just some timing issues, with the beams being in just the wrong place at the wrong time. Very imposing at first, but in the end I had fun.
02-03-2019 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Professor Tio
icon Re: Waving Views (+1)  
Modifications have been made!

List of modifications:
Click here to view the secret text

Have fun with this version! Feedback appreciated, like always.

[Last edited by Professor Tio at 02-11-2019 02:39 AM]
02-11-2019 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1304
icon Re: Waving Views (+1)  
1S1E: Is there a reason this is a secret? It's not like it's hidden in any way. Perhaps you merely meant for it to be unrequired? Brilliant room, though.

1N: Probably my second favourite room. I really like waterskipper nests, and I love what you've done with them here.

1N2E: Probably my least favourite room - avoiding an evil eye's gaze while under the effect of a speed potion is pretty much trivial. Not a terrible room otherwise. I might have liked if more had I run into it earlier.

2E: Not difficult - why is this unrequired? Also, you should probably shift the eyes and the tar mother further away so that being in the NW corner doesn't pull the puffs toward them.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it! Very nice for a first hold.
02-11-2019 at 04:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Professor Tio
icon Re: Waving Views (0)  
One final version that I have planned before I officially put this up for publishing! (Check the original post of course)

Modifications from Finalization B to C:
Click here to view the secret text

Have fun with this version, and tell me if there's any other modifications I should make!

Edit - Also I realized afterward that 2E1N is possible without the speed potion now. The reason it was impossible before was because of the forced disarm.

[Last edited by Professor Tio at 03-19-2019 08:13 PM]
03-19-2019 at 04:12 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Waving Views (Unintentionally Xindaris-Inspired)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com