Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Secret of the Blank Dungeon (Longer, still combat-oriented, tribute to JtRH)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

4.9/10 (7 votes)
σ 2.36
Author Name:azb
Submitted By:azb
Hold Name:Secret of the Blank Dungeon
Theme:Longer, still combat-oriented, tribute to JtRH
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:16
Number of Rooms:169
Number of Monsters:4905
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Secret of the Blank Dungeon 10.hold (141.4 KB)
Downloaded 327 times.
License: Other
icon Secret of the Blank Dungeon  
Thanks to Nuntar and Insoluble for playtesting and contributing to feedback. If you enjoyed this hold and/or The Blank Dungeon, try the third hold on the Architecture board today!
10-15-2018 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Secret of the Blank Dungeon (0)  
1N2W on the postmastery level cannot be completed, due to the trapdoors (which have to be dropped to fight the guards) blocking off all exits. Please mark it unscorable.

Edit: Schik has marked it unscorable now. Thanks Schik!

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 10-16-2018 08:17 PM]
10-16-2018 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
There is a backtracking issue on the postmastery level: Leave 1N1W via the southeast exit, and you cannot return that way. You also cannot traverse 3W if it's uncleared, so you have to restore progress.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 10-19-2018 07:34 AM]
10-19-2018 at 07:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
I shall mark all the rooms in Postmastery Level unscorable, because I built it with the intention that the player would play it from the level editor (part of the reason why I made it You and Masters) rather than the main hold. I apologize for not being upfront about that in the Architecture thread and the frustration from backtracking or similar issues in the main hold.

11-04-2018 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591
icon Re: Secret of the Blank Dungeon (+2)  
That's really not okay. :( I know there have been complaints about those rooms, but marking them unscorable nearly a month after release takes away all the work of the people who already put a lot of effort into solving and optimising those rooms.

In future, if you want levels to be played from the editor, you should make them inaccessible in-game. Or in general, if you want accessible rooms to be non-scorable, you should mark them as soon as possible after promotion, hopefully before players have got to them.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 11-04-2018 04:00 PM]
11-04-2018 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Secret of the Blank Dungeon (+2)  
If I'm being honest I found this hold a bit of a chore. Most of the rooms are of the horde variety and I personally didn't find them that interesting.

The story apes JtRH with the slayer featuring prominently but there aren't many rooms where he's part of the puzzle.

The difficulty really ramps up on some of the 9th level goblin rooms and then gets really hard on the 12th level tar rooms (particularly 1W)

I found an unintended solution on Sixth Level: 1S1W - you can use the mimic to kill the monsters which spoils the only forced sword position room in the entire hold.

Finally, the postmastery level...

The first issue is that accessing it (via the first level entrance) invalidates your high score for that room so you need to go back and reclaim it afterwards.

As mentioned above, some of the rooms can't be cleared, some would be even more chore-some than the rooms in the main hold, and since none of them are scorable there's not really any reason to attempt to clear them - I would probably have left this level out completely.

Reading that back it all seems harsh, but I'd say I enjoyed the previous hold more (Blank Dungeon) as it was smaller and more palatable than this one. For future holds I think smaller sizes and less horde rooms would be more enjoyable for players

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 4

Progress - Gavin G
08-05-2020 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Secret of the Blank Dungeon (Longer, still combat-oriented, tribute to JtRH) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com