Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Some sample rooms (A couple rooms to test out.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Scattercatt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
IP: Logged

File: A Random Hold2.hold (3.6 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Some sample rooms (0)  
I want to make another hold, but I want to make sure that the rooms I'm making are fun and difficult; I don't want to make an entire hold and find out that some rooms are bad. So, I have compiled 4 (5 counting the secret) rooms with varying mechanics to test out. Tell me how you feel about each one. Were they hard? Were they tedious? Boring? Fun? etc.

Thanks.

[Last edited by Scattercatt at 06-08-2018 06:51 PM]
06-08-2018 at 06:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590

File: A Random Hold.demo (6.2 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
icon Re: Some sample rooms (0)  
This is a really nice start, but I had to stop playing in 3W because there are no checkpoints. I've attached my demo pack.

Entrance: A gentle warm-up; I just had to find the right pattern to manipulate the roach while leaving the remaining trapdoors clearable.

1W: I may have done something unintended here, as I didn't use the two pressure plates on the west side.

2W: Fairly simple, just had to set everything up with the correct timing. NE checkpoint should be before the pressure plate so the player has an easy fallback if they try out a timing that doesn't work.

06-08-2018 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scattercatt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
Nuntar wrote:
This is a really nice start, but I had to stop playing in 3W because there are no checkpoints. I've attached my demo pack.

Entrance: A gentle warm-up; I just had to find the right pattern to manipulate the roach while leaving the remaining trapdoors clearable.

1W: I may have done something unintended here, as I didn't use the two pressure plates on the west side.

2W: Fairly simple, just had to set everything up with the correct timing. NE checkpoint should be before the pressure plate so the player has an easy fallback if they try out a timing that doesn't work.

Thanks for the response.

1W: Doh! I forgot the force arrow at 18,26! Not sure how I forgot that. This was my personal favorite too.
3W: I always forget checkpoints. Added.

I've updated the file to include these.

Also, did you try out the secret room at
Click here to view the secret text
?

[Last edited by Scattercatt at 06-08-2018 06:54 PM]
06-08-2018 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638

File: A Random Hold.demo (18.1 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
This looks interesting so far. Looking forward to seeing more! Overall the rooms were fun though there are a lot of unintended solutions. Some of these are probably fine, though some make the rooms trivial and you might want to fix them. Also the lighting felt very dark and I had to turn off alpha blending to play through it.

The Entrance: This is the first impression of the hold (though it sounds as though this may not be the final layout of the level so much as a small sample of what you expect to make). It was an interesting first room. A bit busy with all the doors enforcing what you wanted, but once I parsed it it was fun to find a solution that works.

1N: This was a bit trickier. Very fun room! While still somewhat open ended, I feel like the constraints were a lot tighter in this version, but in a good way. There's a level entrance here for some reason.

1W: You don't need to rearm to kill the babies, you can just kill them all in shallow water. You could always replace the weapon token at (17,28) with a conquer token if you want to enforce the west half of the room. More importantly, please make sure to put the checkpoints actually on the time tokens. This is super important as anyone hitting R expecting to go back to the beginning of the current Beethro timeline can accidentally go back before the recording as well. It's standard practice to put the checkpoints on the time tokens.

2W: I only used one time token. Time clone hits both pink plates and the conquer token while Beethro hits the yellow plate and kills the roach. See demo.

3W: I went straight for the decoy and killed the roach with it without bothering to drop all the trap doors. I'm assuming that is not the intended way to do it. You can replace the floor under the roach with open yellow door to prevent this.

06-09-2018 at 06:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Some sample rooms (A couple rooms to test out.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com