Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
<<5678
Page 9 of 17
10111213>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
joker5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 607
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (0)  
That's kinda what I thought. So the answer is technically no but practically yes.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
12-21-2004 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
How difficult is JtRH so far, on a scale of 1-10 where Dugan's is 5?

12-30-2004 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Fafnir wrote:
How difficult is JtRH so far, on a scale of 1-10 where Dugan's is 5?
Maybe 7. We have really tried to match it to KDD, but I think it is a bit harder. On the other hand, that is for new players. Since you have already played KDD, maybe it is 5 for you.

-Erik

12-30-2004 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
I would also have to say that it is about the same difficulty level. Maybe a 6 or a 7 because of some of the added elements to the game (new monsters, gate types, etc.).
However, if you have completed KDD, you will probably fly through the first few levels pretty quickly.
-just my opinion-

12-30-2004 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
enzi666
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
sorry if this has been asked before.
But was is the Price of JtRH??
And how/where can I buy it. I live in austria and I don't think you guys will release it here in electronic shops, will ya?

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
01-03-2005 at 09:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Price hasn't been announced yet.

JtRH will be available online, both as a download and as a CD version. Download will include the full game, CD version will include special bonuses that haven't been announced yet either.

You'll easily be able to get the download version from anywhere in the world, CD version may be a bit more complicated depending on shipping situation.

01-03-2005 at 09:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
enzi666
But I guess you need a credit card and I don't have one. :~(

01-03-2005 at 10:50 PM
ErikH2000
enzi666 wrote:
But I guess you need a credit card and I don't have one. :~(
Whatever payment processor we go with should also take checks, money orders, and possibly cash. You'd just have to be more patient and wait for it to go through the mail.

-Erik

01-03-2005 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
That's what I thought, but according to his profile he lives in Austria. Long wait :(

01-04-2005 at 11:50 AM
enzi666
Yes, I live in austria.
But maybe my father could lend me his visa or mastercard ;)
Damn I'm nearly 21 and I don't have my own 2 credit cards...Yes, austria is different!

01-04-2005 at 03:13 PM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
So could I buy the CD version of JtRH at an Electronics Boutique or other video/computer game store? Or will I have to buy the CD version over the internet?
01-04-2005 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Over the internet. Retail distribution is a far off goal.

-Erik

01-04-2005 at 11:00 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Some completely different questions:

1. When will the 1 year subscription to CaravelNet start? Is it the moment you receive the money, or can you choose this? (I won't have a need for Caravelnet in the forseeable future...)

2. Is drod.net going to be shut down and be replaced by CaravelNet?

3. Form the price thread:
There will be a link in the game that takes you to an order page.
You mean I will have internet connection from the game to order it? Isn't it possible to just announce it in this forum somewhere?

4. Are there going to be a lot of bugfixes soon? ;) Should I wait to version 2.1 before I order a CD? These bugfixes are downloadable from the net only?

(Note that I will probably use some money order though. I don't know anyone who I want to borrow a credit card from (very few people here have one), and I don't want to spend another 30 euros to just get a creditcard...)

-- Tim

01-04-2005 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+1)  
I don't know the answer to all of these questions, however, I did want to make a comment about the following:
Tim wrote:
4. Are there going to be a lot of bugfixes soon? ;) Should I wait to version 2.1 before I order a CD?

My comment is that the program (being in beta) is more stable than most (if not any) full blown programs I have worked with (and I work with a lot of software). If there are any bug fixes that need to happen for 2.1 (or whatever the next version is), it would probably be very minor. I wouldn't wait. The reason why this beta process is taking a while is because we want it to be very stable and near to perfect. I wouldn't wait to get it.
-Just my opinion-
01-04-2005 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well, again, there is a delay because of waiting for the voice acting to be finished. And there might be more difficulty balancing to be done too. I'm pretty sure that Erik and Mike can't give an exact date yet even if they wanted to run that risk.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-04-2005 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Tim wrote:
Some completely different questions:

1. When will the 1 year subscription to CaravelNet start? Is it the moment you receive the money, or can you choose this? (I won't have a need for Caravelnet in the forseeable future...)
It starts when payment is received. It would be too much record-keeping hassle to deal with different start dates. Also, when you see what all is included with CaravelNet, there is a fair chance you'll want it right away.
2. Is drod.net going to be shut down and be replaced by CaravelNet?
Absolutely not. And DROD.net is going to stay fairly detached from Caravel's commercial agenda. You won't see lots of marketing and advertisements for Caravel games here. That will be on www.caravelgames.com. We've also left the doors open for other DROD games (i.e. DROD3D) to be promoted on DROD.net, even if Caravel didn't develop them.
3. Form the price thread:
There will be a link in the game that takes you to an order page.
You mean I will have internet connection from the game to order it? Isn't it possible to just announce it in this forum somewhere?
There should also be some link for buying JtRH on the new Caravel site later, and yeah, you can expect an announcement here when JtRH is released. Don't worry about it! We have any number of convenient ways to take your money. :)
4. Are there going to be a lot of bugfixes soon? ;) Should I wait to version 2.1 before I order a CD? These bugfixes are downloadable from the net only?
Any patches containing bugfixes that we come up with will be available from the net. If it is really a problem to download patches this way, I'm sure we can work something out.

-Erik

01-04-2005 at 11:49 PM
eytanz
Tim wrote:

One advantage of the long development process is that the game will be well-tested by the time it is released. Of course, we cannot promise no bugs - it is terrible hubris to do so - and in fact, I'm sure there will be one or two at least. But we will be sure that there are no show-stopping bugs in the sense that A - The JtRH hold will be properly winnable, and in fact every room in it that is designed to be solvable will be solvable, B - The editor works properly (note that since the JtRH was built entirely using the editor, fulfilling goal A means that it's at least possible to use the editor to build large, properly solvable holds), C - Most other user holds will work.

Where bugs may be are places like - A - trivial/unexpected solutions in the JtRH hold may exist that we won't catch, B - there may be combinations of elements found only in very few holds that work in a buggy way that we won't catch before the release (for instance, just yesterday I found a subtle bug regarding brained queens that only appeared in very specific queen distributions, one of which happened to be in Bavato's dungeon which I'm playing. It's possible that some other bugs like that won't be caught in time). C - Bugs related to particular computer configurations.

Anyway, what all of this rather long message is trying to say is that we're pretty confident that there won't have to be an urgent "you must have this or else" patch coming out 2 weeks after JtRH.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:01-05-2005 at 05:25 AM]

01-05-2005 at 05:25 AM
joker5
Can you give me a ballpark estimate of how many new elements are in JtRH?

~joker5

01-05-2005 at 03:25 PM
bradwall
joker5 wrote:
Can you give me a ballpark estimate of how many new elements are in JtRH?
Humm... ballpark, eh?

How about... lots. ;)
01-05-2005 at 03:29 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I have a rough list in front of me right now, and the functional element list (including monsters, objects and tiles) is nearly double.

Of course, with scripting, you could increase the variety of behaviours yet further, although relying too much on it to generate puzzles is probably not a good idea.

01-05-2005 at 03:33 PM
ErikH2000
I recently had to count a few things for some sell text I was writing:

* 25 levels
* 350+ rooms (there are more than 350, but... it's a long story)
* 17 monsters
* 11 different characters, some of which contribute to puzzles as well as story development
* 15 other game elements

Different criteria for counting will produce different results, but the above gives you an idea.

-Erik

01-05-2005 at 10:42 PM
joker5
We've got nothing better to do than to listen to long stories. Spill. :ninja

~joker5

[Edited by joker5 at Local Time:01-06-2005 at 01:01 AM]

01-06-2005 at 01:00 AM
ErikH2000
But I have better things to do than tell long stories. (Not to act all superior about it.)

Aw, I might as well...

It is hard work making 350 rooms for a release. We actually made way more than 350 rooms for JtRH, but in the future, we don't want the bar to be set to say... 400 rooms, because that might equate to something like two extra months of work. Because it is a big goal of Mike and I to get our release cycle down to something less than a year, we are being careful about things like this. So even though we have more than 350 rooms in JtRH, we are not going to make a fuss about it, because then people will come to expect X number of rooms in each release we make.

Also, a bunch of the rooms are borderline cases for inclusion in the count anyhow. You'll see what I mean.

-Erik

01-06-2005 at 01:22 AM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
17 monsters? Well, excluding the Slayer, that leaves 16 monsters in 25 levels!

Wait, I just realised what you meant.

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:01-07-2005 at 09:15 PM]
01-07-2005 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
How will the forum change in order to allow for having users on it that have bought DROD, as well as those who don't?

Will there be boards for discussion of registered-only features, holds or other things, and if so, will registered users require a forum account upgrade to view such boards?

01-09-2005 at 12:20 PM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
I think that all forums should be available to everyone (at least for viewing, maybe non-registered users couldn't post on those boards) so the non-registered users could salivate over all the cool things that registered ones can discuss and want to buy JtRH more. :)
01-09-2005 at 12:34 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
As DROD.net is going to be strictly non-commercial, we probably won't have any special areas for paid-up members on the site. The most knowledgeable, experienced players will have a paid-up copy of the game, and so we'd essentially be creating a secret club away from the unwashed masses, which means that those experienced players will probably spend a lot of time there.

The problem is that those unwashed masses will miss out on any neat non-DROD conversations we'd have in there. They wouldn't get as much of a chance to get to know the rest of the experienced players, which means we can't flash 'em our best grin and win them over, and maybe even get them to register themselves. And a critical part of the Plan (capital P) is that there's lots of user holds so that everyone can get some lovely DROD action, and dividing up the forum seems to make that a more difficult goal.

That, and it's a slippery slope. When we've got one forum for subscribers only, why not have, say, an Architecture forum where we can expand upon the plot in the story? And a Holds forum where those holds go? We'd have two forums for everything, and we've got, what, 30 active members? We'd chop that in half so that we could have spoilers.

Or, seeing as we're all such great people around here, we could just use secret tags or make veiled references. I figure that people who want to have it spoiled will go look in the Hints and Solutions board, or will piece together what happens in the story from fragments of every conversation on the board. In any case, we probably won't be able to ensure that all of our secrets stay a secret for very long, so why put up barriers to try to prevent what will inevitably happen anyway, if they'll also introduce class (the I've-got-more-money-than-you sense, not the stylish sense) into the forum?

Although the Secret Shiny New Thing Erik was talking about may be of interest to this issue. But only tangentially, and if any of you know how random I can be, you know that sheep could be considered tangential to this issue.

What I've been trying to work out is how I can replicate the information of KDD for JtRH, and what's safe and unsafe to write about. Is the level information safe? The monsters? Heck, how about the Eighth article? How much of that should I expand on?

Incidentally, we do have a couple of hidden forums, but rest assured there's a very good reason why they're private access only. And no, it's not so we can make snide comments behind people's backs. There's very little you'd find interesting on there anyways, now, apart from historical stuff, and I love waxing lyrical about the historical stuff.

Matt

01-09-2005 at 01:48 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
The seep is an odd, worm-like creature that lives in the walls. If Beethro gets too close to a wall, the seep will get him, unless Beethro gets it first.
1. Can seeps move in crumby walls or secret walls? What about closed doors?
2. Do seeps use roach behaviour? What about brained seeps? They can never reach Beethro unless he's standing right next to wall.
3. Can you place orthogonal squares on walls, pits or doors like force arrows? (to restrict seep movement)
01-09-2005 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Doom wrote:
The seep is an odd, worm-like creature that lives in the walls. If Beethro gets too close to a wall, the seep will get him, unless Beethro gets it first.
1. Can seeps move in crumby walls or secret walls? What about closed doors?

Yes, yes and yes.
2. Do seeps use roach behaviour? What about brained seeps? They can never reach Beethro unless he's standing right next to wall.

Seeps use roach behavior. Brained seeps are a bit more difficult to describe but basically try to reach the point on the wall closest to Beethro.

3. Can you place orthogonal squares on walls, pits or doors like force arrows? (to restrict seep movement)

Yes. Seep can't go on pits, but ortho squares on pits will restrict wraithwing movement, of course.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:01-09-2005 at 05:14 PM]

01-09-2005 at 05:12 PM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
1.Will the insert DROD room imagwe feature of the forum include JtRh, and if yes, how will it hide levels 4+?

2. What will happen to the seep if it is on a closed yellow door and it is opened?
01-09-2005 at 08:25 PM
<<5678
Page 9 of 17
10111213>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes