Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Page 5 of 17
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (0)  
The wraithwing actually stays just inside the decoy's range...that is the exact distance that a single wraithwing needs to stay still. Multiple wraithwings will probably act weird, but they usually do anyway.

One neat thing I just saw was that you could use a decoy to relatively accurately position a wraithwing. I came at the wraithwing from the side and as soon as I got close it moved away, and when I backed off it was still closer to the decoy so it stayed in the exact position I left it. In a large enough space to work with one could definitely have some devious wraithwing puzzles with this functionality.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-29-2004 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Is there an order of precedence to Beethro and the Decoy? That is, will a roach try to get to the midpoint of a line segment connecting Beethro and the Decoy, or will it head straight for one or the other?

11-29-2004 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Beethro wins. If the 5-square range of Beethro and the decoy overlap, Beethro is noticed and the monster comes for him.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-29-2004 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
Oneiromancer wrote:
All monsters (except brains and things like tar mothers of course) act as if the decoy is really Beethro. This includes wraithwings and roach queens.

What about if Beethro is invisible and there is a decoy in Tar Mother range?

Do decoys have swords? (affects goblin movement) If they do, can they kill something on placement?

11-30-2004 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rabscuttle wrote:
What about if Beethro is invisible and there is a decoy in Tar Mother range?

Wow, I didn't even think of that one. I just did some testing...and I'll have to get back to you on that, since I discovered some behavior that doesn't make much sense (probably a bug though). :)

Do decoys have swords? (affects goblin movement) If they do, can they kill something on placement?

Yes, they have swords, which does affect goblin movement, but since the goblins move to try to kill the decoy it only makes the goblins surround the decoy more "accurately" instead of having a traffic jam on its sword. And yes, just like a mimic, decoys can kill/destroy/activate things on placement.

Game on,

11-30-2004 at 02:25 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Is the Slayer fooled by decoys?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
11-30-2004 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
What do you devs recommend first for us players: Adventure in your hold, or go straight to the editor? As for me, I'm playing the whole hold first, then diving deep into the editor.
11-30-2004 at 11:05 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
We tried and are trying to make the official hold both a fun playing experience and a good introduction to the puzzle potential of the new elements. I recommend playing through the official hold first to see some of the uses the new elements can be put to (and hopefully to enjoy the fun).

++Adam H. Peterson
11-30-2004 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I have a couple of musical questions:

1. How many pieces of music are there in this game.
2. When you talk about these 3 different "moods" for music, how will the music change? Will the songs get faded out and the new ones fade in, or will it be extremly choppy and just stop?
3. How many pieces did Emmett end up doing?
4. Did the 'Tar' piece make it in?

Also, will the H&S solutions for the actual hold only be availible to CaravelNet subscribers to attempt to prevent piracy?

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:11-30-2004 at 11:25 PM]

11-30-2004 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
joker5 wrote:
Is the Slayer fooled by decoys?
The Slayer is a professional, trained to doggedly pursue. He can tell the difference between a delver and a mock-up, no matter how good it may smell or what sheepish grin may be painted on it.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-30-2004 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I strongly recommend playing the hold before looking at the editor--it should make for a much better experience. Originally, I wanted the editor elements to be unlocked only after you saw one for the first time in a room, but Mike and I decided that was too complicated and scrapped it.

-Erik

11-30-2004 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Well, I think that would be cool too, except that people who don't buy JtRH wouldn't have access either. For those who do buy JtRH, playing through the hold in its entirety will hopefully ensure that you don't accidentally copy a puzzle when making your own hold and thus bringing up copyright issues. Now that JtRH is commercial and has an editor the issue might come up of someone recreating JtRH and trying to distribute it.

In my opinion, only meeting the new items in the editor isn't nearly as much fun as seeing them in a hold for the first time. It wasn't much of an issue for 1.6 since most of the objects were introduced by level 8, but in JtRH new items are introduced all the way to the end and so poking around in the editor too much could potentially cheapen the experience.

Game on,

11-30-2004 at 11:23 PM
AlefBet
Oneiromancer wrote:
For those who do buy JtRH, playing through the hold in its entirety will hopefully ensure that you don't accidentally copy a puzzle when making your own hold and thus bringing up copyright issues.
I don't think this is a big issue, since you can't copy something you've never seen. But I still recommend seeing what's been done in JtRH both for ideas for what to do and ideas for what's been done.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-30-2004 at 11:29 PM
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
Will CaravelNet (now or ever) be integrated with the Hints & Solutions or Challenges board?

12-01-2004 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+1)  
That's a good question.

Hints & Solutions: At this time, we don't want to try to make the game an interface for for the H&S board. We could fairly easily add a "Get room help" button or key that would bring up a web browser in the H&S board and automatically search for the room you're in. This isn't in JtRH, and extremely likely will not be in JtRH. Easier yet: While you play, the game uploads your progess. CaravelNet knows the last room you were in. It would be really easy to make it so that if you press the Search button on the H&S board, it automagically goes to the last room you were in. I won't guarantee anything, but that's most likely of all to happen for JtRH, since it wouldn't require ANY changes to the game.

Challenges: This would be a lot more work, I think, to do it really well. It would also be incredibly cool. I have a decent idea about how to have the game download a challenge and enforce it's restrictions on a room, and of course track which challenges you've completed. But I'd have to think about it a lot more to figure out if it can be done well enough to make it worth it. For what it's worth, Mike said it was a good idea, if I wanted to code it up. :-O

The easy cop-out solution for Challenges would be to just display the text of the challenges for the room, and that's it. Not very fun, but still moderately useful.

12-01-2004 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Just want to make sure.

Can I play this game without logging onto CaravelNet?
(My DROD PC does not have internet, yet.)

-- Tim

12-01-2004 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+1)  
Tim wrote:
Just want to make sure.

Can I play this game without logging onto CaravelNet?
(My DROD PC does not have internet, yet.)
Of course. :) CaravelNet is just extra stuff for people who register. You can play it as always without CaravelNet.

12-01-2004 at 05:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Looking at the screenshots that have been posted, are you going to extend the shadows onto the enemies as well, or just onto other objects as it currently is? IMHO, I think it would look very cool to have enemies in shadows as well.

12-03-2004 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
No, probably not. The shadows for monsters and other things that occupy squares are more or less correct as they are now, because only very tall things can cast shadows that stretch more than a few pixels. And don't ask me to reconcile the supposed heighth of walls with Beethro's sword floating over the top of them. In the end, I will fall back on "it's just an abstract representation anyhow" and start screaming about how everything we do is flawlessly consistent.

-Erik

12-03-2004 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
ErikH2000 wrote:
In the end, I will fall back on "it's just an abstract representation anyhow" and start screaming about how everything we do is flawlessly consistent.

-Erik
With much spittle, of course.

12-03-2004 at 06:04 PM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
The rocks that golems turn into when killed. . . Do they block an eyeball's line of vision? Or are these rocks as "transparent" as any other enemy?

When it says that Beethro can't "move around" these rocks, what exactly does that mean? Can anything else climb over or move around these rocks?
12-05-2004 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Abbyzzmal wrote:
The rocks that golems turn into when killed. . . Do they block an eyeball's line of vision? Or are these rocks as "transparent" as any other enemy?

I think they are transparent. (Eyes can see over them)

When it says that Beethro can't "move around" these rocks, what exactly does that mean? Can anything else climb over or move around these rocks?

No - they act as a floor obstacle once killed - nothing can move onto the square containing the rocks (unless obliterated by a bomb).

12-05-2004 at 12:39 AM
AlefBet
Karipto wrote:
Are the black gates (destroy all tar) still going to be implemented?
Yes, there is more than one room in the official hold that uses black gates.
Assuming that there's a narrow entrance/exit to a room, would it be possible for the golem's rocks to block it off if you killed it there?
A golem's dead pile can block any floor tile if killed there. You have to be careful about killing them in narrow corridors if you need to then get past them.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-06-2004 at 05:40 AM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
are there going to be any elements that are only in JTRH once? Like invisibility potions only in 2 rooms in KDD.

12-06-2004 at 07:17 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Erik:

If you meant my post - no, it wasn't feature request, just sarcasm. Usually I can't help.
-----
How does image floor work ? Can I use large images such as 5x5 tiles ? Or have to use small (tileable) images much like casual floor ?

I have some GIMP skills, so a lot depends on the answer..

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
12-06-2004 at 07:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
rowrow wrote:
are there going to be any elements that are only in JTRH once? Like invisibility potions only in 2 rooms in KDD.

All the new elements have whole levels devoted to them, as do most of the old elements. There's no game element that appears only in one room, though, like in KDD, there's one that appears in only two (hint: it's not a new feature).

12-06-2004 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
b0rsuk wrote:
Erik:

If you meant my post - no, it wasn't feature request, just sarcasm. Usually I can't help.
-----
How does image floor work ? Can I use large images such as 5x5 tiles ? Or have to use small (tileable) images much like casual floor ?

I have some GIMP skills, so a lot depends on the answer..

You can use images of any size (well, as long as they fit in the room).

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:12-06-2004 at 02:50 PM]

12-06-2004 at 02:49 PM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
eytanz wrote:
All the new elements have whole levels devoted to them, as do most of the old elements. There's no game element that appears only in one room, though, like in KDD, there's one that appears in only two (hint: it's not a new feature).

It has to be the same old invisibility potion. It is the only thing I can think of that would be unimportant enough to put only in two rooms.
12-06-2004 at 07:44 PM
bdcribbs
Rank Points: 390
Krishh wrote:
eytanz wrote:

It has to be the same old invisibility potion. It is the only thing I can think of that would be unimportant enough to put only in two rooms.

I'm not sure what eytanz is refering to, but it isn't invisibility potions.
12-06-2004 at 07:51 PM
Oneiromancer
Heh, no, the invisibility potion has a level to itself, more or less. The problem with the invisibility potion was that it was totally unappreciated in the original game...when AE came out people started finding lots of fun things to do with them. Check out Smallsome Swicks, that Erik made...he uses them to good advantage.

Game on,

12-06-2004 at 07:52 PM
Page 5 of 17
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No