Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
<<11121314
Page 15 of 17
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (0)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
How are you going to treat using one copy of the registered game and installing it on more than one computer? Say if I decide to install DROD on the computer in my room and on the family one (Which is a lot faster than mine). Will I have to buy another liscense, will CaravelNet not work on one of those, or will they work fine and happily together?
You get one CaravelNet license with each JtRH purchase. You can use it on different computers without trouble.
If the latter, would it automatically track my progress from computer to computer to prevent me from replaying rooms on the second computer?
There is something like that, but I forget exactly what Schik has got coded right now and what is meant to be in the future. Maybe he will come along and explain it.

-Erik

03-20-2005 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5388
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
If the latter, would it automatically track my progress from computer to computer to prevent me from replaying rooms on the second computer?
There is something like that, but I forget exactly what Schik has got coded right now and what is meant to be in the future. Maybe he will come along and explain it.
CaravelNet will track your progress, but for now that's pretty much only so it knows which rooms to hide from you on the forum. In the future we'd like automatic synchronization of your player on multiple computers, but it won't be there for JtRH.

03-20-2005 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2462
How will the high scores work? Will there just be one per room or will there be a history (only improvements get added, but old records remain for posterity), or can anyone upload their demos - no matter how long they are?

Will we be able to find out the longest/shortest rooms in a hold?

Can we see the high scores of rooms that we haven't reached? (Not the demos, just the move count)

Do move counts in JtRH include mimic/decoy placement moves and answering yes/no questions?
(I think I asked this before but it hadn't been decided)
03-21-2005 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+2)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
How will the high scores work? Will there just be one per room or will there be a history (only improvements get added, but old records remain for posterity), or can anyone upload their demos - no matter how long they are?

When you're logged in to CaravelNet and have victory demos turned on, at the end of every room DROD will check with CaravelNet if you have a demo that's in the top ten for that room. If so, DROD will upload it and you'll get a little message in the next room saying what place you got. It's a high score list - if you're not in the top 10, you don't have your demo uploaded.

Will we be able to find out the longest/shortest rooms in a hold?

Can we see the high scores of rooms that we haven't reached? (Not the demos, just the move count)

No, you can't see high scores for rooms you haven't beaten.

Do move counts in JtRH include mimic/decoy placement moves and answering yes/no questions?
(I think I asked this before but it hadn't been decided)

I believe that mimic placement counts as one move, but yes/no doesn't. This may be wrong, as I haven't played around with yes/no questions very much.

Matt

03-21-2005 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
I've got a question about the game's graphical interface.

Why was the color purple chosen for walls and things? I'm not complaining; purple is actually my favorite color, and I use it alot in web design. It just doesn't seem to fit the dungeon well enough for me to figure out.
03-21-2005 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Mattcrampy wrote:
When you're logged in to CaravelNet and have victory demos turned on, at the end of every room DROD will check with CaravelNet if you have a demo that's in the top ten for that room. If so, DROD will upload it and you'll get a little message in the next room saying what place you got. It's a high score list - if you're not in the top 10, you don't have your demo uploaded.
It's actually top 8 (We're on the Eighth, after all...). The server will track *scores* that aren't in the Top 8, but it won't keep demos for anything not in the Top 8. When browsing high scores on the site, you will be able to see the Top 8 for any room as well as your best, regardless of whether or not it's in the Top 8.
Move counts are counted just like they are on the Demos screen.

03-21-2005 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594

The 9 styles from D.R.O.D. won't be returning. We'll map each style onto an appropriate new style when you play, so the general theme of your dungeon is preserved. You may, however, want to release a new version that takes advantage of some of JtRH's new features.

End Quote

This means JtRH will have 3 styles ? Can you add your own ? Or did you have to replace them ?

That slayer guy..... is he something like a new Neather ?
03-21-2005 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
MeckMeck GRE wrote:

The 9 styles from D.R.O.D. won't be returning. We'll map each style onto an appropriate new style when you play, so the general theme of your dungeon is preserved. You may, however, want to release a new version that takes advantage of some of JtRH's new features.

This means JtRH will have 3 styles ? Can you add your own ? Or did you have to replace them ?

Meckmeck, please use proper quote tags. If you need help with them, post in the site forum and I'm sure a lot of people will be glad to help. Non-standard quote formats make conversations hard to follow.

As to the actual question - it's been answered - more than once - in this very thread. Browse back a bit and you'll find the answer.

That slayer guy..... is he something like a new Neather ?

It depends what you mean by that; in some ways yes and in some ways no. There's a lot of information about the slayer in this thread, by the way.

03-21-2005 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
This is a question in response to a question just answered on the "Will you be buying JtRH?" thread.
When you buy JtRH, you get one CaravelNet account and one user license to play the game. You are legally entitled to have one person playing the game, but it doesn't have to be the same person. For example, you and your sister can both play JtRH, just not at the same time.
If you buy the game and want to have multiple CaravelNet accounts, will you offer additional accounts at the same price as the original one? If, for example, my sister and I both want to play JtRH on the same computer but want seperate accounts, would it be the same as purchasing two seperate copies of JtRH?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
03-23-2005 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Malarame wrote:
If you buy the game and want to have multiple CaravelNet accounts, will you offer additional accounts at the same price as the original one? If, for example, my sister and I both want to play JtRH on the same computer but want seperate accounts, would it be the same as purchasing two seperate copies of JtRH?
It does seem reasonable to offer an additional account/license at a price lower than the original. I'll have to discuss it with Mike, and there is also a technical side to consider with the order processing. So I can't really give you an answer now.

-Erik

03-23-2005 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Rank Points: 174
No please Erik, don't tell me we have to buy Jtrh! Because If all strangers have to buy it, They may renounce by buying the game and you can lose many stranger posters in the forum.(Like me :))so you're loosing about 20 active posters. Also it doesn't matter If we can buy It by Mastercard, or whatever.
( But it stills a prblem for me :P )

[Edited by Dali at Local Time:03-24-2005 at 03:14 PM]
03-24-2005 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Dali wrote:
No please Erik, don't tell me we have to buy Jtrh! Because If all strangers have to buy it, They may renounce by buying the game and you can lose many stranger posters in the forum.(Like me :))so you're loosing about 20 active posters. Also it doesn't matter If we can buy It by Mastercard, or whatever.
( But it stills a prblem for me :P )

[Edited by Dali at Local Time:03-24-2005 at 03:14 PM]
Stranger poster?

What does that mean; by registering and posting, how can you be a stranger to the forums?

And anyway, wouldn't getting people to buy the game make them more likely to post here anyway? If you bought JtRH, why would that make you a non-active poster?

03-24-2005 at 03:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
agaricus5 wrote:
If you bought JtRH, why would that make you a non-active poster?
Obviosuly, you would stop all secondary activities like eating, sleeping and posting in the forums until you finish it!

03-24-2005 at 03:49 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Maurog wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
If you bought JtRH, why would that make you a non-active poster?
Obviosuly, you would stop all secondary activities like eating, sleeping and posting in the forums until you finish it!
But then, what would be the difference be between buying it and getting it for free?

03-24-2005 at 04:20 PM
Dali
oh just forget it i said that just cauz those who will not buy the game cannot participate at the forum. How they can? At least they can build from Webfoot version or Caravel or i don't know. just forget it :closedeyes
03-24-2005 at 05:40 PM
Schik
Dali wrote:
oh just forget it i said that just cauz those who will not buy the game cannot participate at the forum. How they can? At least they can build from Webfoot version or Caravel or i don't know. just forget it :closedeyes
Those who don't purchase the new version will still be able to play DROD using the new version, they just won't be able to play the new official hold, Journey to Rooted Hold. They'll still be able to create their own holds and play other users' holds.

03-24-2005 at 05:42 PM
Mattcrampy
This may change once we get that legislation to make DROD mandatory in all middle schools. Then it'll be the 4 R's: Reading, Writing, Arithmatic, DROD.

Matt

03-24-2005 at 11:45 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Mattcrampy wrote:
Then it'll be the 4 R's: Reading, Writing, Arithmatic, DROD.
I would rather have spelling instead ;)

--Tim

03-25-2005 at 12:03 AM
Mattcrampy
I believe that's the British spelling. Or, if it isn't, it's because I usually spell it 'Mathematics'.

On the other hand, you might be saying that it should be Spelling, not Arithmetic. To which I say, there's no 'R' in spelling, unless you need to study it more, although I honestly think in that saying you'd get away with it.

(Incidentally, I've been writing an essay on ethics for the past 2 hours, so a) I really need to spell check it and b) I should go play N and be silly with my little ninja. I'm gunna do that.)

Matt

03-25-2005 at 12:11 AM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Ah. It's a Victorian thing, I think, and not entirely serious; "reading, riting and 'rithmetic". :rolleyes Carry on.

03-25-2005 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
All right! If it's only the hold that we can't purchase, It's ok. That makes things easier. So we can get access to the new monsters, objects,and other,Right?. No problem then; but i'm still fighting (I don't know how) against buying Jtrh :closedeyes
03-25-2005 at 07:31 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Buying JtRH gets you the new hold, two new room styles (which are quite sharp), and access to CaravelNet. The free version of JtRH gets you the executable, the editor, and a single room style. You can still participate on the forum without buying JtRH. CaravelNet is a bunch of extra network features, most of which are used in the game itself.

++Adam H. Peterson
03-25-2005 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
Dali wrote:
All right! If it's only the hold that we can't purchase, It's ok. That makes things easier. So we can get access to the new monsters, objects,and other,Right?. No problem then; but i'm still fighting (I don't know how) against buying Jtrh :closedeyes

I think that your opinion may change once you start playing JtRH. Either way, try out the free download when it is available and I think that you will be plesantly supprised. I am sure that there will be screenshots of the other two styles, if that is important to you.

You do get to try the first 3 levels of JtRH, but... trust me... it gets hundreds of times better once you get further into the game. A great story unfolds and the puzzles are fantastic. Each level gave me great statisfaction when completing it.
03-25-2005 at 09:25 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Hi.I have an idea. As I see it this wonderfull game is not basicly about pressing buttons on your keyboard untill your fingers grow numb. Itīs about solving challenging pussels using logic. Therefore I think that it ought to be possible to customize your keyboardsetting so that a combination of moves simply requirers you to press one button. For example: somtimes you want to swing your sword left and then swing it rigt again. Wouldenīt it be good if you could choose one butten to represent a combination of moves you find particulary usefull? I think so. I mean; in some situations it would have been wounderfull to press one butten to get Beethro to swing his sword right, left, right, left, right, left. In some rooms it could be worth it to customize a combination of moves wich you can se will be used several times in that specific room.

03-31-2005 at 02:48 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
general macros have been discussed at length in the features request forum. The general feeling (at least from the devs) is that they are a bad idea. At the same time, however, qw (and other move/reverse-move combinations like up/down, left/right etc) are common enough that they've added in a feature to take care of that. I believe you basically hold down ctrl and the first move of the combo. The reverse move gets done automatically. For example, if you press ctrl+left, beehtro will excute a move left followed by a move right. If you press and hold ctrl+left, beethro will repeatedly execute left followed by right. This will eliminate the tedious qw'ing that a lot of rooms have.

03-31-2005 at 02:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
My only complaint so far about JtRH is that the slayer's portrait makes him look like some funny stupid clown. :P
03-31-2005 at 11:40 PM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
SbCl3 wrote:
My only complaint so far about JtRH is that the slayer's portrait makes him look like some funny stupid clown. :P

You will definately find out that he is not a "stupid" clown. He will put up a fight when you have him next to you. Good luck taking him out.

EDIT:
Speaking of the Slayer... it is kind of a love-hate relationship between him and myself. I love the character, but I hate how he gets me into trouble...........
Man, I love JtRH. Awesome; simply awesome.

[Edited by bradwall at Local Time:04-01-2005 at 12:00 AM]
03-31-2005 at 11:59 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I guess he'll slay you with his humor?

04-01-2005 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5088
stigant wrote:
I guess he'll slay you with his humor?
Aw, man...you're killing me!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-01-2005 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I just wanted to confirm that the macros described by stigant are in. When you hold down control, any move will be automatically followed by its opposite.

Matt

04-01-2005 at 06:59 AM
<<11121314
Page 15 of 17
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No