Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
<<891011
Page 12 of 17
13141516>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (0)  
Characters can't drink potions either. Only Beethro can.

02-21-2005 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
That proves one of agaricus's riddles wrong. :) It says that the 'neather can drink mimic potions.Joking. Anyway, in that room, he doesn't.

02-21-2005 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2486
After seeing the wispy screenshot:

Does the Slayer always follow your path exactly? If he's on the path, will he leave it even if there's a shorter way to get to you (say, if you're standing next to him, but have previously taken a loop around the room)

How does he move before he gets on your trail? What happens if you go over a trapdoor or block the path with a dead golem, so that he can't follow you?

He can slay other creatures, right? So it's not possible to block him with a roach.
02-21-2005 at 04:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+1)  
The slayer follows the path laid down by the Wisp. If the Wisp crosses itself, the Slayer will choose the shortest path.

Before the Wisp catches you, he just stands there. If you get too close to him, he'll turn his sword, and the Wisp will pause for that to happen. This lets you get ahead of the Wisp. If you completely block his path, he just stands there like a deer in the headlights.

Yes, he can slay other creatures.

02-21-2005 at 04:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
He's also clever enough to get out of traps. If you trap him in an enclosed area which contains the orb to get out, he'll go over there and hit it. Some of JtRH's puzzles are based around this behaviour.

Matt

02-21-2005 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2486
How does the Wisp move?

Can he jump paths if they are next to each other (but not actually crossing)? For example in the screenshot, the player presumably went N onto the checkpoint, then W off it. Would the Slayer step on the checkpoint or go NW and bypass it?

The Slayer is acting like a Slayer, so he's presumably not a character in that SS. But he's also talking. Does that mean that it is possible to put lines in the mouths of non-characters?
02-21-2005 at 05:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
The wisp moves like a brained roach, more or less (there are subtle differences but they're hard to explain without giving specific examples). It always tries to move one square closer to Beethro.

If Beethro steps on the wisp then everything beyond him vanished from the wisp. If Beethro just steps adjacent to the wisp, the wisp will continue as normal. But when the slayer starts moving, he will always choose the shortest path to Beethro. So in the following case:

B
xxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxs

Where Beethro doubled up and caused a two-square wisp, the slayer won't follow the original path of the wisp but will turn north early.

As for speech - it's possible to make Beethro, the Slayer, and Halph talk without them being characters. It's not possible to do so to arbitrary monsters (it involves using an invisible character to hold the script and a special hard-coded way to associate the lines with the right person).

02-21-2005 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Also, if the Slayer is following the Wisp, but you're within swording range, he'll sword you. ...Scythe you... So don't assume that just because the Wisp goes all over the screen he won't get to you early.

02-21-2005 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Is the Foundation theme the one on screenshots ? With nasty pink/violet walls ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
02-25-2005 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
It most certainly is, since that's what the first three levels of JtRH are built from. You can check out the other two on www.caravelgames.net . Iceworks is obviously the icy one, And all thats left for Deep Spaces is the greyish one.
02-25-2005 at 08:59 AM
b0rsuk
Then Deep Spaces gets my vote. It's the best for me, best contrast, color balance, variety etc.

Q:
Doesn't it bother you you can't see grid on many floors ? It's not really "problem" with the game, rather with room design... Harder to count tiles.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:02-25-2005 at 10:10 AM]

02-25-2005 at 10:03 AM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Iceworks gets my vote as best looking, although I guess all that birghtness could tire your eyes after a while, and Deep Spaces comes in second, first for playability.

It doesn't bother me much, because I'm fairly sure that the JtRH will not abuse this and use these floors to diversify the enviorment only in rooms that don't rely much of specific tile count. Other architects might not be so thoughtful, but we don't have to play holds that abuse these floors.
02-25-2005 at 11:12 AM
Mattcrampy
We've deliberately steered away from obvious checkerboard for this version, but you don't have too much of a problem picking the grid, nevertheless.

Note that this doesn't apply to the special floors, which aren't gridded at all. Upon playing them, it doesn't make too much of a difference if the architect's being considerate. Remember, architects, there's a difference between being challenging and being cheap.

Matt

02-25-2005 at 12:30 PM
eytanz
To Elaborate -

The gridless floors are really only an issue in rooms where a very specific move order matters. Grids make it easier to remember and repeat differnt move combinations. But JtRH doesn't have many of those rooms, definitely not to the extent some of the user holds do, and the rooms that are less forgiving use grided floors. Also, trapdoors - the game element where the grid matters most directly - are clearly gridded.

JtRH also includes some other conveniences that make the grid less important. For instance, you can left-click on an evil eye to highlight the squares that will wake it. This was introduced primarily because there was a concern with diagonal evil eyes and gridless floors.

But basically, Matt's right - it takes a short while to get used to gridless floors, but once you've been playing them for a few hours you barely even notice the lack of an explicit grid anymore.

02-25-2005 at 02:04 PM
b0rsuk
How many MB is JTRH ? DROD:AE is about 13 MB download...

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:02-26-2005 at 05:19 PM]

02-26-2005 at 05:18 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
b0rsuk wrote:
Somewhere between 50 and 80mb.

Yeah, I know that's huge. The speech and music files are mainly to blame.

-Erik

02-26-2005 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
ErikH2000 wrote:
b0rsuk wrote:
Somewhere between 50 and 80mb.

Yeah, I know that's huge. The speech and music files are mainly to blame.
And don't forget the

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-26-2005 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Not the kind of game you could play in work :<

Fortunatelly, demo most probably doesn't contain contain all the music files and speech. Unless you make it as "enter registration number" shareware. It's like asking for being cracked.
So I suppose free version would be much nicer to download.

02-26-2005 at 06:32 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Only 5 songs and 1 graphical style are included, so it should be a bit better to download the demo. Still horrible for all ye olde modem users, most likely.

02-26-2005 at 09:06 PM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
On JtRH, orbs can be clicked on to see where they go, agreed? But does that mean that if you hide some doors under tar then you are able to see which orbs control them and what they do to that door? Doens't that mean that some rooms in KDD (namely level 11 rooms) will become much, much easier?
02-27-2005 at 07:02 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
wackhead_uk wrote:
On JtRH, orbs can be clicked on to see where they go, agreed? But does that mean that if you hide some doors under tar then you are able to see which orbs control them and what they do to that door? Doens't that mean that some rooms in KDD (namely level 11 rooms) will become much, much easier?
Yes, yes and yes. You won't be able to see which orbs control the doors, but you'll be able to see which doors the orbs control.

02-27-2005 at 07:07 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Stefan wrote:
Yes, yes and yes. You won't be able to see which orbs control the doors, but you'll be able to see which doors the orbs control.

Forgive me, but I don't see the distinction... do you mean simply that the reverse information won't be available? (In otherwords, click on a door, and see what orbs control it?) This seems more convenient than the current system (hit the orb, observe the effects), but not as convenient as it could be...

02-27-2005 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
stigant wrote:
do you mean simply that the reverse information won't be available? (In otherwords, click on a door, and see what orbs control it?)
Yes, that's what I meant.

02-27-2005 at 09:21 PM
Strabo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Only 5 songs and 1 graphical style are included, so it should be a bit better to download the demo. Still horrible for all ye olde modem users, most likely.

Indeed. Thank goodness for fiends with broadband.
02-28-2005 at 10:33 AM
Mattcrampy
For those poor souls with dial-up, we are offering a CD version, with nifty cover art, which you can see on the prize pile. (People who have nominated to win a copy of JtRH will get the CD version.) We certainly don't think it's wise to limit our game to just the broadband peoples.

Matt

02-28-2005 at 10:44 AM
b0rsuk
You mean I can just ask and I'll be sent a CD with the demo ?

02-28-2005 at 11:22 AM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
I don't think they would but if so, you would only get the demo on it.
Or should.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:02-28-2005 at 02:44 PM]

02-28-2005 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
b0rsuk wrote:
You mean I can just ask and I'll be sent a CD with the demo ?
No, the demo would only be downloadable. But it is also quite a bit smaller. I think it was around 35mb.

-Erik

02-28-2005 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Stefan wrote:
wackhead_uk wrote:

I think I pointed out somewhere else public that you still don't know the initial state of the doors under tar. So while it may make KDD rooms much easier, future holds can take this into consideration. Of course, most people don't enjoy doors under tar at all, so there won't be many tears shed over this development.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-28-2005 at 05:37 PM
b0rsuk
Do Tar Babies have so nise chewing animation like in AE ? What makes it especially cool is the fact that they seem to stare at you from the other side of the monitor, in a threatening manner. So if JTRH Tar Babies do the chewing in 8 various directions, it's BAD.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:02-28-2005 at 11:16 PM]

02-28-2005 at 11:14 PM
<<891011
Page 12 of 17
13141516>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes