Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Page 2 of 17
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+1)  
You mean those men with sticks were actually from Erik? Oh, I coulda been a beta tester if I hadn't rang the police and hidden in my closet...
11-21-2004 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (0)  
A clarification on one or two points I wrote earlier:

eytanz wrote:
Fafnir wrote:
Now you can see when roaches, long monsters and tar will spawn or turn or appear or whatever.

Does that mean the times at which long monsters turn are based off the spawn clock in DROD, or is that in relation to a new monster?

The times they turn aren't influenced on the clock, but the direction they prefer (horizontal or vertical) is, and this is already the case in 1.6.

Of course, the directional preferrence of serpents will influence their turns if they are in an open space. Serpent movement is rather complicated to describe in brief; the main point is that it's not different in JtRH, and rattlesnakes behave exactly like serpents do.

Can you still cut bomb fuses?

No. That made it very difficult to design bomb puzzles since it's very difficult to control the sword direction without making the room very unforgiving. Trust me on this, bombs became a lot more fun once that was changed.

My answer here was also misleading; there are ways to cut fuses; but using your sword isn't one of them. For example, if there's a fuse on a trapdoor square and you drop the trapdoor, the fuse will be cut. I won't list the other ways, though... You'll find them out when you play.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:11-21-2004 at 08:35 PM]

11-21-2004 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Won't stepping on the fuse trigger it anyway, though?
11-21-2004 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Only stepping on the end of a fuse triggers it.

11-21-2004 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
If you closed a yellow door under a fuse, or killed a Golem standing on one, does the fuse continue to burn?

Also, can fuses go through tunnels?

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:11-21-2004 at 09:07 PM]

11-21-2004 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
agaricus5 wrote:
If you closed a yellow door under a fuse

That's also a way to cut a fuse (burning or not)

Golem standing on one, does the fuse continue to burn?

Golems, dead or alive, do not influence fuses.

Also, can fuses go through tunnels?

No.

11-21-2004 at 09:11 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
How can I buy JTRH when it comes out?

11-21-2004 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
Just how dumb are the golems?
11-21-2004 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Zaratustra wrote:
Just how dumb are the golems?
They are about as dumb as wubbas.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-21-2004 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+2)  
Oh, by the way, since no one has done it yet, I'll go ahead and be the first one to confirm that we've actually

++Adam H. Peterson
11-22-2004 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Wow, now I can't wait to play it!

Can you expand on what you called the free program? Does that mean you can get the entire hold and everything for free, but if you want to be able to connect to CaravelNet you'll have to pay? And what was that about only having one style available if you get it for free? Is that for creating new holds, or does that apply in JtRH too?

I would like to go on record as saying, however, that I am going to buy this as soon as it's available. Unless it costs as much as a new house or a new car, in which case I would probably just go buy a new house and/or car instead. But while I'm sitting in that house and/or driving in that car, I'll be thinking about all the fun I'm missing. In which case I'll probably end up returning the car and selling the house and just buying JtRH instead. And after thinking about all that, I'll probably come to the conclusion that it's a lot easier to just buy the game in the first place and not have to go through the trouble of getting a brand new car and/or house. In other words, even if it costs that much, I'll still get it. I'll just have to hope the bank will allow me to take out a loan for a game.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
11-22-2004 at 03:02 AM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
AlefBet wrote:
Oh, by the way, since no one has done it yet, I'll go ahead and be the first one to confirm that we've actually
But noone answered my question a little bit up.I still want

11-22-2004 at 03:08 AM
AlefBet
Malarame wrote:
Can you expand on what you called the free program? Does that mean you can get the entire hold and everything for free, but if you want to be able to connect to CaravelNet you'll have to pay?
No. You get all the functionality of the program, but only the first three levels of JtRH. If you want all 25 levels, you will need to buy the full game, and access to CaravelNet will come with it.
And what was that about only having one style available if you get it for free? Is that for creating new holds, or does that apply in JtRH too?
Both. The first three levels of JtRH are all in the same style, and if you only have the free version of the game you'll only be able to create or play holds in that style. (If you import holds in another style, they will use the main style instead.) With the full version, you get other levels of JtRH with the other two styles, and you'll be able to use these styles with user holds.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-22-2004 at 03:11 AM
Malarame
Thanks for clearing that up AlefBet.

About the scripting, how hard is it to use? Is it similar to coding in a programming language, or is it a simple, idiot-proof interface?

-Groucho Marx
11-22-2004 at 03:18 AM
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
Will Erik and co. be advertising when it's released? If so, it would be awesome if went gold (it should)
11-22-2004 at 03:52 AM
AlefBet
Malarame wrote:
About the scripting, how hard is it to use? Is it similar to coding in a programming language, or is it a simple, idiot-proof interface?
It's pretty point-and-click.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-22-2004 at 03:55 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
eytanz wrote
No, and there really doesn't need to be one. The scripting isn't that sophisticated, and it takes a lot of effort to write a script that'll come close to being described as spaghetti.

Seriously, as for the scripting - don't build your hopes (or fears) up too much. It's not a programming language. In some ways, it's less powerful than the scripting Erik wrote for the 'neather. It's a lot more versatile, though, and can be used for a lot of cool stuff that would be impossible otherwise.

I'm assuming that it's still possible to make a copy of KDD:L25 in JtRH, yes?

--

If Neather is short for Underneather, is Slayer short for Sublayer?

--

Can a character-roach hit an orb?
11-22-2004 at 09:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
1. Is the level ten exit shown in the screenshot using the image floor?

2. And is the stuff blocking the stairs down to level eleven:

a) The other type of tar? (based on the fact that there is a tar-like 2x2 square made of the stuff, and the fact that it is also available as small "babies" (I would guess that since this tar isn't alive (you said that there was lving tar and other kind) the "babies" function as walls or something unpassable anyway) I could think that this is tar.

b) an image type wall

c) some other dungeon element that most certainly is not normal wall or even does not function as one even in the condition it is in the screenshot.

[Edited by Krishh at Local Time:11-22-2004 at 12:32 PM]
11-22-2004 at 12:30 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
When monsters move, do they "jump" there like they do in AE or do they move there smoothly? I'm asking because you said that spiders would be visible while they move.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
11-22-2004 at 12:39 PM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
Was Rooted Hold built with the editor? Is the Slayer made with the scripting in the editor?
11-22-2004 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Nillo wrote:
When monsters move, do they "jump" there like they do in AE or do they move there smoothly? I'm asking because you said that spiders would be visible while they move.
They move smoothly. However, spiders remain visible on any turn they moved, not just inbetween tiles.

Zmann wrote:
Was Rooted Hold built with the editor? Is the Slayer made with the scripting in the editor?
Everything in JtRH was built in the editor. The slayer really has two modes: A scripted character, or a fully autonomous killing machine.

11-22-2004 at 01:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rabscuttle wrote:
I'm assuming that it's still possible to make a copy of KDD:L25 in JtRH, yes?

No. It's possible to create some rooms, but not all of them (or at least, if it is possible, we haven't figured out how yet).

If Neather is short for Underneather, is Slayer short for Sublayer?

No.

Can a character-roach hit an orb?

Yes.

11-22-2004 at 02:35 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
(Just to elaborate a bit on Oneiromancer's reply...)
vniksic wrote:
Will it be available as a Linux source/binary as well?
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Mostly. Everything will be available in the Linux binary. If you can do something in the Windows version, you'll be able to do it in the Linux version as well (and if you can't, that's a bug).

However, the CaravelNet stuff won't be available as source. You can still build DROD from source without problem and use it to play JtRH and other holds without any other restrictions than that you won't be able to use CaravelNet in-game. This basically means no in-game hold downloading (you can still download from the forum), no online progress tracking, no high-scores, etc. Everything else will work perfectly, of course.

If you've ever played the open source FPS Cube, it will work something like that. You can build it from source and use that build for local play without any restrictions, but if you want to play on the internet you have to use the pre-built executable.

- Gerry
11-22-2004 at 02:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Krishh wrote:
1. Is the level ten exit shown in the screenshot using the image floor?

No, Matt used photoshop or something to overlay a KDD screenshot and a JtRH screenshot of the same room.

2. And is the stuff blocking the stairs down to level eleven:

a) The other type of tar? (based on the fact that there is a tar-like 2x2 square made of the stuff, and the fact that it is also available as small "babies" (I would guess that since this tar isn't alive (you said that there was lving tar and other kind) the "babies" function as walls or something unpassable anyway) I could think that this is tar.

No.

b) an image type wall

No.

c) some other dungeon element that most certainly is not normal wall or even does not function as one even in the condition it is in the screenshot.

Um, not sure I understood that.

The stuff blocking the stairs is just an obstacle. In KDD, obstacles are always 2x2 and there's a single obstacle per style; in JtRH, obstacles come in different styles and shapes even in the same style.

It just looks weird in the picture because of the photoshopping.

11-22-2004 at 02:39 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
Just wanted to check since I'm not sure my computer meets the technical requirements. Am I correct in my assumption that the free version and the full version are essentially the same program and if one works the other will work?

Also, if you can talk about it, what kind of marketing are you going to be able to do? Is this going to be purely an on-line shareware thing or is it possible you might be able to get into some actual stores? Is there any chance of getting covered by the mainstream gaming press?
11-22-2004 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
KevG wrote:
Just wanted to check since I'm not sure my computer meets the technical requirements. Am I correct in my assumption that the free version and the full version are essentially the same program and if one works the other will work?

Yes. I'll leave the marketting question(s) to people who know about such stuff.

11-22-2004 at 04:00 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
KevG wrote:
Yes.
Also, if you can talk about it, what kind of marketing are you going to be able to do? Is this going to be purely an on-line shareware thing or is it possible you might be able to get into some actual stores? Is there any chance of getting covered by the mainstream gaming press?
It's hard to say where we'll be in the long-term, but I do know that it's important to be able to sell our own games and build up a customer base. We will at a minimum sell DROD downloadable from our website. We're also considering selling a physical CD through mail-order, but I'm not sure about that now. Non-exclusive deals with game portal sites and other kinds of affiliates is probable, so you are likely to see JtRH in some other places on the web. Less likely, but still possible, is getting DROD onto a store shelf. If it happened, it would likely be buried in a collection of other games, i.e. don't expect to see a "DROD" endcap with cardboard stand-up Beethro any time soon. :)

-Erik

11-22-2004 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Oh, and I forgot to answer:
KevG wrote:
Is there any chance of getting covered by the mainstream gaming press?
We'll make an effort and send out press releases to sites and magazines. Probably we'll get mentions in a few surprising places before it's over, but I'm not expecting much "mainstream" coverage. It isn't a mainstream game. And it doesn't need to be. Our strategy is to make a niche game that appeals strongly to a smaller group of people. Marketing for DROD, it seems to me, is patiently going out and finding the people that are members of our tribe but don't know it yet. We want people to play the game, love it, hang out on DROD.net, get their friends to play it, and be ready for the next game. This all happens very slow, but we aren't set up so that we need a huge success or we'll implode.

-Erik

11-22-2004 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
~Well, who's saying that you couldn't get people to run into a shop and put a cardboard cutout of Beethro in there anyway? Free marketing!
11-22-2004 at 05:50 PM
Malarame
I think we should pool our money together and rent a giant billboard in Times Square. We just would need to put a giant picture of Beethro on it with "www.DROD.net" underneath. Millions of people all over the world will visit the site and get hooked.

I wonder how much it costs to rent a billboard in Times Square? It can't be that expensive...

-Groucho Marx
11-22-2004 at 06:51 PM
Page 2 of 17
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No