Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Chance for Paradise (Custom Elements)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.9/10 (11 votes)
σ 3.20
Author Name:Maxx
Submitted By:Crimson Moon
Hold Name:Chance for Paradise
Theme:Custom Elements
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:32
Number of Rooms:216
Number of Monsters:1462
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+1 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Chance for Paradise 511 Fixed.hold (43.2 MB)
Downloaded 391 times.
License: Other
icon Chance for Paradise  
Features: 10 levels, 3 secret levels, 2 post-mastery levels.
7 custom elements.
Story with fully voice acted dialogue.
Puzzles. Lots and lots of puzzles.
And a surprise at the end of post mastery :)

If you master the hold and credit me, you are free to use any custom element you wish :)

11-15-2016 at 02:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Chance for Paradise (0)  
Scripting bug/backtracking problem: In DoE 2S1E, if you go through the briar passage, let the scripted elemented be killed but don't touch the conquer token, when you exit the room and come back there will be no scripted elements, which means the room is unsolvable.
11-15-2016 at 03:06 PM
Crimson Moon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 108

File: Chance for Paradise.hold (43.2 MB)
Downloaded 24 times.
License: Public Domain
Should patch what Uncopy mentioned.
11-15-2016 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Chance for Paradise (+11)  
Analysis of the above change:

Click here to view the secret text

EDIT:

And the second batch of changes...

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Doom at 11-16-2016 11:34 PM]
11-15-2016 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crimson Moon

File: Chance for Paradise.hold (43.2 MB)
Downloaded 29 times.
License: Public Domain
Okay, Uncopy mentioned some errors in chat he was getting in logs. Most of it was because of infinite loops and missing waits. I slightly modified +/- script to loop only 8 times instead of infinitely and still do the same thing it was originally doing. I also added those waits.

Edit: Also fixed a script being rewarded when it shouldn't be in DoE

Edit#2: Changed this file to the one that REALLY fixes the challenge.

[Last edited by Crimson Moon at 11-16-2016 11:21 PM]
11-16-2016 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Chance for Paradise (+3)  
Postmastered!

So, here's the new hold by the new architect Crimson Moon. For his first published hold it's surpisingly big and ambitious, and from the looks of it, it definitely came out pretty well!

Pros:
+Lots of scripted elements! If you thought Lavender Levels had enough of them already, think again!
+Lots of rooms that are challenging but not brutally so!
+A very big and intriguing plot!
+Writing! The plot-related level entrance texts, scrolls and dialogues are pretty good. I especially like the scrolls with the proses. I always wish I'm good at writing stuff like that!
+Voice acting! When was the last time you've seen a user hold that's with voice acting? They really makes the story experience much, much better!
+Gentryiis!

Cons:
-Scripted element quirks are frequently (ab)used in many occasions
-The amount of "guess the magic sequence" room are too much, they were mostly frequent in PF and AV in the main hold, but really gets out of hand at the pre-postmastery level (OR)
-And some rooms are just too fiddly!

But all in all, this is the first attempt from a new architect, and I'm sure everyone can understand that while new architects often make such mistakes making fiddly, tedious rooms, they improve over time! And I think Crimson Moon had shown his potential in the rooms, and this hold has surely given him lots of experience to make the next hold even greater.

Final verdict: 7.5 brains, 7 fun
11-18-2016 at 05:19 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
This is amazingly ambitious for a first hold. I'm only working through one of the "easy" levels, and still I'm turning to H&S for about every room. The author will soon find out how hard it is to accurately estimate difficulty for one's own rooms.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-18-2016 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
icon Re: Chance for Paradise (+2)  
"Magic key sequence" rooms are really not that fun. The scripted elements are interesting, but you have to guess what they do most of the time. A proper tutorial would have helped.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-22-2016 10:57 PM]
11-22-2016 at 10:56 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
It's possible to permanently get Dream of Eternity: Twice South Once East into a state where it cannot be completed, as the RegenatorO fails to spawn.

It would be rather nice if this issue were fixed. The non-linear nature of this hold means you could make the room impossible, leave the level, and complete a significant amount of content before discovering the issue.

[Last edited by hyperme at 12-10-2016 10:18 PM]
12-10-2016 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crimson Moon
hyperme wrote:
It's possible to permanently get Dream of Eternity: Twice South Once East into a state where it cannot be completed, as the RegenatorO fails to spawn.

It would be rather nice if this issue were fixed. The non-linear nature of this hold means you could make the room impossible, leave the level, and complete a significant amount of content before discovering the issue.

I've already updated this myself, as well as other issues before. It still hasn't been updated officially yet though for whatever reason.
12-10-2016 at 10:40 PM
disoriented
Crimson Moon, send a PM to Schik asking him to retest all the demos for this hold against the updated version. If they all pass the spider then it's probably fine for him to push the update.

12-10-2016 at 11:34 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Chance for Paradise (Custom Elements) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com