Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Help with scripting? (This really doesn't need to be as complex as it's being...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
IP: Logged
icon Help with scripting? (+1)  
Here's the deal:

I'm trying to script a special Smitemaster "enemy" for a hold I'm working on that follows a specific line of commands. The way it works is:

• Monsters will pay attention to it instead of the player
• Killing it is required to clear the room, and won't kill you in the process
• If it kills all other monsters sans itself, it won't clear the room
• It has the same appearance as Beethro

Now, some people might be telling me to simply set the Character to "Beethro." The problem with that is that upon it dying, the player ALSO dies, and that if it kills everything sans the player and itself, it clears the room. Even if it still exists.

Now, I'm pretty sure this is something I could easily fix by simply making a custom Character "appearance", but that's easier said than done. My most complex scripting is scripting a character entity and having it just execute a command any time the player stands on one tile. That is to say, hardly complex.

Can someone help me out here? I know what SOME things I'd have to do are, but I can't really figure out anything else from there.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
10-29-2016 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Help with scripting? (+1)  
#2 is easy, Imperative Required target makes an entity required for room completion. #3 then follows automatically.

For #4, yes, just base the character on a Beethro template. Such characters by default are critical heroes (killing them counts as player death), but Imperative Required target overrides this.

#1 is the real deal-breaker. Making default monsters attracted to a custom entity simply can't be done with current scripting. The only possible way is to replace every monster in the hold with a scripted monster, but that would be a huge amount of effort. Sorry to disappoint you :(

[Last edited by Nuntar at 10-30-2016 12:12 AM]
10-30-2016 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
icon Re: Help with scripting? (0)  
Nuntar wrote:
#2 is easy, Imperative Required target makes an entity required for room completion. #3 then follows automatically.

For #4, yes, just base the character on a Beethro template. Such characters by default are critical heroes (killing them counts as player death), but Imperative Required target overrides this.

#1 is the real deal-breaker. Making default monsters attracted to a custom entity simply can't be done with current scripting. The only possible way is to replace every monster in the hold with a scripted monster, but that would be a huge amount of effort. Sorry to disappoint you -- I just don't think this custom element can be made within the current scripting system.

1. Man, that should totally be added someday... I'd make a thread in the "DROD suggestions" category but I'm busy.
2. Thanks!
3. See 2.
4. That makes sense.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
10-30-2016 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: Help with scripting? (+1)  
Funny story about #1: If you turn Player Stealth on, monsters are attracted to NPCs that look like Beethro.

So technically such a thing can be done, however it's obviously not very practical.

10-30-2016 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Help with scripting? (This really doesn't need to be as complex as it's being...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com