Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Converging Data (I'm pretty sure I'm screwed but...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RyTracer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 86
IP: Logged
icon Converging Data (+1)  
I think I've already gleaned the implied answer (no) by other threads, but I'll ask directly anyway.

So I have 5 installations of DROD on my computer from KDD2.0 to TSS, with a few holds, including the main ones conquered or well progressed in each. I have never transferred data from one to another, and now I would finally like to bring them all to 5.0 because unlimited undo is like the best thing ever. But I'm fairly far along in TSS as well. Can I merge all of this into one without losing progress?

05-13-2015 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1547
icon Re: Converging Data (+2)  
Use Export Saves Only in the older games. That will merge your checkpoints into a single profile, but leave behind custom holds and demos.

To bring across holds or demos, you'd need to do a full Export and end up with multiple profiles in TSS.

No reason you can't do both of course. :)

In either case, holds need to be installed in TSS before importing the old files, or the progress will be ignored.
05-14-2015 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1639
icon Re: Converging Data (+1)  
Tuttle wrote:
To bring across holds or demos, you'd need to do a full Export and end up with multiple profiles in TSS.
Just as a word of warning this is an extremely time consuming process on most computers (and exporting saves alone, while quicker, also takes some time if you have lots of holds completed.) I tried to export my old profile from a computer like Watson and it should be finished with the export a few days before the heat death of the universe.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 05-14-2015 01:34 AM]
05-14-2015 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rinaldo
Rank Points: 50
icon Re: Converging Data (0)  
I have one additional question on this point, to which I fear I know the answer, but I needed to ask:

Is there any way to export from earlier games (KDD, JtRH, but mainly TCB) that I can no longer play on my computer?

I upgraded to a newer model of MacBook in June, which involved moving from OS 10.9 to 10.10 (Yosemite). Only GatEB and TSS will now play on what I have; do I just have to give up on retaining progress from games I played only in TCB?

My apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere; I did try to look.
07-05-2015 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1547
icon Re: Converging Data (+3)  
Yeah, you need a machine running the relevant game to export its data files. But, it's possible to take the data files from one machine and drop them into the same game on a different machine and get everything working. There are basically five files you need, but I don't know exactly where they're stored on a Mac: data.dat, hold.dat, player.dat, save.dat, text.dat. One or two of those may be missing if you don't have e.g. any self made holds, but I'm not sure.

So you have a couple of options I can think of:

1) Grab the OSX Intel binaries from http://forum.caravelgames.com/downloads.php for KDD/JtRH/TCB and install those on your new machine -- they should still work. Then drop in the dat files from your old games and see if they still work. This will depend entirely on how DROD treats the .dat files; I don't know if they're compatible across platforms. But if this works, you still have everything on the same machine and you can do the export if you want.

2) If that doesn't work, try to get your hands on a machine which can run the older PowerPC binaries. That might be a friend with an older Mac, or get a trial of once of the virtualisation products and install OSX 10.6 if you still have a disc (10.4 to 10.6 included Rosetta, which allows running the old binaries on new hardware). Copy the dat files in and do your export.
07-06-2015 at 02:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Converging Data (+2)  
Tuttle wrote:
... There are basically five files you need, but I don't know exactly where they're stored on a Mac: data.dat, hold.dat, player.dat, save.dat, text.dat.

On my Mac (using 10.6.8) they can be found in Library - Application Support - Caravel. Within that I have a separate folder for each version of DROD and then in those folders are the 5 files Tuttle mentioned for each version.

07-06-2015 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Rinaldo wrote:
I upgraded to a newer model of MacBook in June, which involved moving from OS 10.9 to 10.10 (Yosemite). Only GatEB and TSS will now play on what I have...

Yeah, I'd do what Tuttle said above in 1), as my guess is that the others won't play because you do not have the 64-bit Intel binaries for each of those games on your new MacBook—you have earlier versions, in other words. For example, for KDD, it seems you have v2.0.15.1, and not v2.0.17. Go to the Downloads link up above and make sure you download the 64-bit versions and you should be able to run them.
I assume the dat files from your old games would work; I'm not sure why they wouldn't, because you must have had the Intel binaries on your old MacBook, not the older versions, as those wouldn't run on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) either.

[My apologies for the billion or so edits, especially if anyone has the box ticked to get emails sent whenever someone replies in the thread.]

[Last edited by Lamkin at 07-06-2015 09:22 PM]
07-06-2015 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rinaldo
Rank Points: 50
Thanks, everyone.

I just downloaded all three 64-bit versions, which I had never done before. (I know, I'm a bad Caravel citizen....) It seems that all my saved games and progress are there (and, at least on a cursory try, everything "plays"), so importing things into TSS may take some time but will be perfectly possible.

I probably never thought about playing the 3 older games in Mavericks; my (already limited) DROD time has been rather taken up with TSS of late, and I upgraded from OS 10.6 to 10.9 (yes, jumping 3 levels) only last fall, so I spent a relatively short time in Mavericks.

Thank you all again! It's a great relief that this problem is so easily solvable, and the only obstacle had been my out-of-touch-ness. As usual this community is just wonderfully helpful.
07-06-2015 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: Converging Data (0)  
Rinaldo wrote:
I probably never thought about playing the 3 older games in Mavericks; my (already limited) DROD time has been rather taken up with TSS of late, and I upgraded from OS 10.6 to 10.9 (yes, jumping 3 levels) only last fall, so I spent a relatively short time in Mavericks.

Ah, okay....I see. :)
07-06-2015 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Converging Data (I'm pretty sure I'm screwed but...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com