Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Escape from guard's base (Simple puzzles with guards)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.1/10 (10 votes)
σ 1.30
Author Name:Gavinr1
Submitted By:gavgav123
Hold Name:Escape from guard's base
Theme:Simple puzzles with guards
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:39
Number of Monsters:595
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Escape from guards base.hold (16.6 KB)
Downloaded 661 times.
License: Other
icon Escape from guard's base  
A short hold good for beginners with occasional hard rooms and easy rooms
01-29-2014 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Escape from guard's base (+2)  
Disclaimer: The constructive criticism in this post is mixed in with a bit of snark.

The quality of a hold is often inversely proportional to the grammatical liberties the author takes in its intro text.

First level wasn't too bad, some unnecessary and unexplained scripting in the first room, and a fairly unremarkable level, but again, nothing stood out as bad either.

However, The Basement: Thrice North. Why.
Click here to view the secret text

A bit of advice: The architect's job is not to frustrate the player, or to stop them from finishing the hold. The architect's job is to create an enjoyable challenge. Remember, players aren't obligated to finish a hold. Rooms like this make people quit. From the scroll, it's clear that you're fully aware that this room is tedious, dull, and generally not fun. In that case, why does it exist? You're not being clever or creative by expecting the player to waste their time running from orb to orb, slogging through a horde of roaches. There's no puzzle here, it's just tedium. Now a repetitive room can be forgiven in an otherwise strong level, but...well....

In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't complete the hold. For all I know, the rest of the hold could be the next Gigantic Jewel Lost. If that's the case, I will revise my rating. (EDIT: Finished the hold, it isn't.) But for now, 2/10 and 2 brains. If that room wasn't in, it would probably be more of a 4/10.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 01-29-2014 05:22 AM]
01-29-2014 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
icon Re: Escape from guard's base (+1)  
Pinnacle wrote:
A bit of advice: The architect's job is not to frustrate the player, or to stop them from finishing the hold. The architect's job is to create an enjoyable challenge. Remember, players aren't obligated to finish a hold. Rooms like this make people quit. From the scroll, it's clear that you're fully aware that this room is tedious, dull, and generally not fun. In that case, why does it exist?

Though I totally agree on this I must say that for a first hold this is not too bad and beginners (aside from that room) might find pretty rewarding finishing this hold.
It's also true that one single room can lower the quality of an hold but in this case I decided to encourage the architect.

01-29-2014 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gavgav123
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
icon Re: Escape from guard's base (0)  
Pinnacle wrote:
A bit of advice: The architect's job is not to frustrate the player, or to stop them from finishing the hold. The architect's job is to create an enjoyable challenge. Remember, players aren't obligated to finish a hold. Rooms like this make people quit. From the scroll, it's clear that you're fully aware that this room is tedious, dull, and generally not fun. In that case, why does it exist? You're not being clever or creative by expecting the player to waste their time running from orb to orb, slogging through a horde of roaches. There's no puzzle here, it's just tedium. Now a repetitive room can be forgiven in an otherwise strong level, but...well....

I really really wasnt trying to frustrate anyone, in fact, that room seemed pretty simple.I wanted to just make a harder version of the room. I didnt think i would lose 2 stars from it :(

[Last edited by gavgav123 at 01-29-2014 08:43 PM]
01-29-2014 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
In the interest of not being completely negative, the third level was a significant improvement over the other two.

Specific critique:
Click here to view the secret text

In retrospect, giving it a 2 was a bit harsh. That end of the scale should probably be reserved for such "masterpieces" as the infamous Sam 8. Revised to a 4, since aside from that one room there are no glaring flaws. That room I ranted about earlier, while certainly not a highlight, wasn't quite as tedious as it seemed at first glance.

The overall structure of the hold is also pretty interesting, completing levels to open up new parts of a main hub adds a fun exploration element.

As far as first holds go, it really isn't bad. For future holds, ask someone to proofread the text though. When the first word of the intro text is misspelled, that changes my approach from a neutral "let's see what this hold is like" viewpoint to a rather cantankerous "let's see what else is wrong" one.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 01-30-2014 12:50 AM]
01-30-2014 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
Pinnacle wrote:
[snip...]As far as first holds go, it really isn't bad. For future holds, ask someone to proofread the text though. [snip more]
Someone did offer to do just that.
01-30-2014 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
I didn't think this hold was *that* bad.

Yes, some proofreading was definitely in order.
Yes, the author's intent to make The Basement: Twice North and Thrice North tedious wasn't good.

But the spelling/grammar is ultimately good enough that you know what the author is trying to say. And The Basement: Twice North I feel is not actually tedious, but rather a fun room. The problem is that Thrice North is essentially a duplicate room of Twice North for some 600+ moves.

I enjoyed the JTRH Level 8 style where by clearing more rooms, you gain access to other rooms in a chaotic way. The rooms are varied enough to not get boring, and the difficulty curve is fairly even.

The Towers: 1S1E was the only room where I found a solution that seemed to be unintended. What the author was going for here, I have absolutely no idea.

I think it's a 6.5 overall with 4.5 brains. But I had to choose either 6 or 7 overall, so I went with 6.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 02-24-2014 11:11 PM]
02-24-2014 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
I thought this was a decent hold for a first attempt - obviously issues with spelling which is a little bit annoying, especially when you consider there are people on this forum (myself included) who would be quite happy to proof read hold text.

I enjoyed the main level - having to revisit rooms makes things a bit different to the usual linear nature seen in a lot of holds. I agree to some extent regarding the repetitive rooms in the basement level - it would have been better if the longer version was a secret room, but it wasn't too bad. The guard manipulation level was also fun without being too difficult.

Overall this was a decent hold, would be a good choice for someone who's fairly new to the game.

My Verdict:

Difficulty: 4
Fun: 6

Progress - Gavin G
05-12-2014 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Escape from guard's base (Simple puzzles with guards) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com