Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Miscellaneous stuff
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
IP: Logged
icon Miscellaneous stuff (+2)  
A few things that have cropped up while editing Suwako's Forgotten Castle.

* When creating the new character Daron, I wanted to make him Mimic-based (like Werl) and recolour him to distinguish them, but that created the problem that their text boxes were the same colour. I suggest that the "create character type" window have a setting where you can choose text box colour. (This would be nice to have in regular DROD as well.)

* It would be nice to have a cut-scene fast-forward key (not to be confused with the existing cut-scene skip). This would make cut scenes run at (for example) double speed, but speech and actions would still synchronise, and pressing it again would revert to normal speed. This is mainly for testing purposes: when I'm trying to synchronise something at the end of a long cut scene, it's really annoying to have to watch the whole thing again every time I want to try out a change.

* I've finally worked out why I was having so much trouble with the level intro texts in Nameless Fortress. I noticed that when I open the intro text window to edit it, the "Display this text" box automatically becomes checked. This is, of course, carried over from regular DROD, where it was entirely appropriate. In RPG, which not only has the "Display this text once" option as an alternative, but more often than not that's the alternative you actually want to use, it's just a nuisance.

* "Wait for event monster stabbed" isn't triggered by stabbing a mud blob attached to a mother. This works great in Forgotten Castle, but in general it seems a bit counterintuitive. I don't know what anyone else's feelings may be on this one.

06-08-2013 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Miscellaneous stuff (0)  
Nuntar wrote:
* It would be nice to have a cut-scene fast-forward key (not to be confused with the existing cut-scene skip). This would make cut scenes run at (for example) double speed, but speech and actions would still synchronise, and pressing it again would revert to normal speed. This is mainly for testing purposes: when I'm trying to synchronise something at the end of a long cut scene, it's really annoying to have to watch the whole thing again every time I want to try out a change.
I have that same issue with testing, so something like this would be welcome. (The other ideas are nice too.) But, I'm not sure how we would make voiced speech synchronize. Play it at double speed, maybe? Or were you thinking to just have it cut off when halfway through?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-10-2013 at 07:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Oh. :~( I never use voiced speech, so I hadn't thought about that at all. I guess either of those suggestions would work... you should really ask someone who actually uses voiced speech which they'd prefer.

06-10-2013 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I'd say sped up would be better. Alternately, not having speech play at all would work. I think that cutting it off half way would be jarring and confusing.
06-11-2013 at 02:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
icon Re: Miscellaneous stuff (+3)  
Bumping to see if any of these requests have a chance of making it into the next version :P

In particular, I am still interested in the ability to set text box colour for characters -- maybe there could be two variables, _TextColor for the player and _MyTextColor for NPCs/custom monsters. (One hold I am working on is hampered by the fact that antlion speech defaults to a barely readable dark grey box; it would be great to be able to turn it orange.)

11-09-2020 at 11:13 AM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
If custom text colours were to be implemented, it would probably be better placed in the custom character menu rather than a variable. I.e. the same screen where you set the character name, sprite, portrait and default script.

EDIT: If I had read the opening post more carefully I'd have realized that your original suggestion said exactly this. Hah!

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 11-10-2020 10:13 PM]
11-10-2020 at 09:45 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
For custom text box coloring:
PR (thanks, hyperme!)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-05-2023 05:18 PM]
06-05-2023 at 05:17 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Miscellaneous stuff
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com