Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (v1.2.3 includes Linux version and Russian translation)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Leafypaint
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Re: Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (0)  
This game is AMAZING! Playing HQ was like stepping back into the golden age of adventure games. Brilliantly written, exemplary art work, mind-blowing attention to detail. This is what hard work, determination, and a fantastic sense of humor create. Ultimate praise to the entire creative team. :D

01-05-2014 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
dactylopus
This is a repost of what I already said at the AGS forums, but I wanted to say it here, too.:

What a game!

I finally got a chance to play it over the last few days, and it was amazing. I completed the game as a Rogue, which was quite a bit of fun. After looking at some hints, it seems I missed a few things here and there, and I'll be trying to get closer to 500 points next time (I got 426 this time).

The story was great, and kept me interested throughout the game. The art and animation were fantastic. The scenery is just beautiful, I really enjoyed wandering around the landscape. I loved the characters and dialogue, and most of the voice work was wonderful and drew me in. I loved the music, it was always appropriate and it stayed in my head over the days I was playing. The enemies were all great. I didn't change the difficulty level at all, so combat wasn't too hard, but some enemies were still somewhat challenging. Also, I'm glad you chose to replicate this combat system, as it was the most fun version of combat from the Quest for Glory series. Leveling up was a lot of fun, and I spent a few days of gameplay working on increasing my skills and stats. I ended up with every skill I had maxed out. I'd also like to point out how good the programming was in this game.

There were a lot of great references in this game. The ending reminded me of the final scene of Trial By Fire, which I thought was a great touch. Although, reading through earlier posts here, I don't think I was able to help enough people! I'll definitely be trying a little harder next time, and this is certainly a game that can be played through multiple times.

Overall, this was a tremendously satisfying gaming experience. It feels like a love letter to the Coles, definitely comparable to the Quest for Glory games. Great job to everyone involved, and thank you all so much for sharing this wonderful gift with us!

A few comments / issues:
Click here to view the secret text

Again, fantastic job. I love this game.
01-10-2014 at 06:42 PM
dactylopus wrote:

[Last edited by 1848 at 01-12-2014 02:47 AM]
01-12-2014 at 02:47 AM
yariel
it would be nice if this get serialized like QFG series ...
oh well, really nice game tough ...
evenmore better compared any other QFG wannabe commercial game ...
(I already seen several kickstarter, but none get as good as this, not to mention FREE !!!)

(still wishing New Game+ tough)
with :
- Agi, End, Str, WeaUse, and Will Intact, other sub skill get reset tough ... (to prevent multiple bug in gameplay)
- the chest contain 50 coin, and 5 set of each potion type ...
- the starting point to allocate now 75 (which enable you to choose 3 skill)

very, very hoping for another Adv, RPG release ...
(I'll wait, even for another 5 yr)

I tried to spread this game at several place including GameFaqs, I hope more and more fans will gathered ...

EDIT :
also for ver 1.1 ...
I hope there will be showing bar (HP,St,MP) at top screen or something ...
QFG 3,4,5 already have it ...
and it's quite useful since most act can decrease it ...

[Last edited by yariel at 01-24-2014 11:48 AM]
01-18-2014 at 06:15 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Update now available

When Heroine's Quest was released in December, it received many positive reactions. As our game was played by many more people than our internal testing team, some issues came to light. We have worked on fixing these, and as the result, version 1.1 of Heroine's Quest is now available. We hope you enjoy this update, and thank you all for your interest and support!

Unfortunately, saved games from v1.0 cannot be used in v1.1, although your completion records can be copied. You'll have to decide whether to complete your game on v1.0 or start from the beginning in v1.1 (or complete your current class in v1.0 and try a different class in v1.1). However, we recommend that you restart if you've made it to Svartalfheim without reclaiming your items from the thieves, or if you've failed too many of the vouches in Munarvagir as a sorceress. These situations may lead to a dead end in v1.0, but they can no longer occur in v1.1. If you have further questions, please ask.

Changes to gameplay:

Made cross-class skills more useful:

[Last edited by Radiant at 02-05-2014 08:21 PM]
02-05-2014 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
AGS doesn't support patches rather than redownloading the full version eh?
02-05-2014 at 09:49 PM
Radiant
I'm afraid not. And we made a few additions to the voice pack, so we couldn't do a download without voice pack either.

02-05-2014 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Spiffo
That's a really cool pile of changes and I'm stoked to go back to the game and try playing it as a rogue now (reports of the dagger-throwing glitch put me off trying)

[Last edited by Spiffo at 02-06-2014 04:56 PM]
02-06-2014 at 04:55 PM
xlynx
So I just completed my first play-through and I'm rather blown away. It's more than a bit good!

I found it very engaging which must be down to the writing. I also noticed a strong attention to detail, particularly in the sprite animations, the item-on-hotspot responses, and the way the other main characters interact with the world (wandering the map, perusing shops, sitting on chairs etc.). Another thing which stood out is how it eliminates the frustrations of QFG (dead-end situations, getting lost and weak combat). Great game design!

Many of the other assets and scripting are higher than expected quality too but I don't want to go on. I've just donated on crystalshard.net and voted on the AGS awards. I'd really like to see it get more exposure via GOG & Steam, and I look forward to playing the other classes :)

[Last edited by xlynx at 02-22-2014 09:58 AM]
02-21-2014 at 08:39 PM
Tweak
1848 wrote:
I was wondering if you have plans for your next project yet? And if there might be a Heroine's Quest sequel someday? :D

I second this. Very impressed with HQ and would love to see more adventure games of this quality.
03-01-2014 at 05:12 PM
Mike the Wino
Is the v1.2 update already out? If so, where can we find it? All I'm seeing on the Crystal Shard website is v1.1....

Thanks!

03-01-2014 at 07:19 PM
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Not yet, we're working on it :)
03-01-2014 at 08:38 PM
Mike the Wino
No worries! I thought maybe it was already out because when you asked me to send you a saved file (from another thread), you mentioned that saved games are located in C:\Users\<User name>\Saved Games\Heroine's Quest 1.2 (if you're using v1.2)
:P

[Last edited by Mike the Wino at 03-01-2014 09:21 PM]
03-01-2014 at 09:20 PM
Fizzii
Yeah, at the time I wrote that, I was just about ready to leave home to go to work. :)
03-01-2014 at 09:38 PM
Radiant

File: AGSawards.png (539 KB)
Downloaded 842 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (+1)  
We are proud to announce that Heroine's Quest has won eleven of the prestigious AGS Awards for 2013, out of fourteen nominations. We are really happy with this outcome, and thank you all for your support!

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
Won, Best Game Created with AGS in 2013
Won, Best Gameplay 2013
Won, Best Dialogue Writing 2013
Won, Best Original Story 2013
Won, Best Puzzles 2013
Won, Best Background Art 2013
Won, Best Animation 2013
Won, Best Character Art 2013
Won, Best Sound Effects 2013
Won, Best Voice Work 2013
Won, Best Music 2013
Nominated, Best Player Character 2013
Nominated, Best Non Player Character 2013
Nominated, Best Programming 2013

Text log here.

[Last edited by Radiant at 01-12-2015 11:12 PM]
03-12-2014 at 09:15 AM
Radiant

File: Steam-Logo.png (28.5 KB)
Downloaded 2068 times.
Now available on Steam!

Version 1.2 can be downloaded from the Steam store. It is published by Screen 7, and incorporates a few minor changes and bugfixes.

[Last edited by Radiant at 03-23-2014 12:46 AM]
03-20-2014 at 05:40 PM
xlynx
Does hqrecord get added to, or overwritten, when you complete the game as another class? Also, is it compatible across versions?
03-20-2014 at 09:10 PM
Radiant

File: AGSawards2.png (407.7 KB)
Downloaded 846 times.
It gets added to, and it's compatible across versions if you copy (or move) it to the savegame folder of the newer version.

[Last edited by Radiant at 01-12-2015 11:11 PM]
03-20-2014 at 10:00 PM
Insectodium
Radiant wrote:

Version 1.2 can be downloaded from the Steam store. It is published by Screen 7, and incorporates a few minor changes and bugfixes.

Will there be a release for 1.1(.2?) with the maltese falcon fix aswell, without the steam linking, or alteast a 1.1 savegame compatible, downlodable version?

I really enjoy this game and spent many hours playing it already, best game so far this decade IMOH :)

I usually play an honorable rouge (not so much thief) with full magic abilities in the classic HQ games, unfortunately this is not possible in newer remakes (like HQ2 remake) and here in Heroines quest. Made me not play through the HQ2 remake (replayed old EGA version instead ;)), but now in Heroines Quest I've max-stated all skills and only think i lack the points for the Maltese falcon ;)

BTW: is it not possible for a rouge to level up the potion making skills? I've made 16 healing potions but the sill is still on level 5 :)

Small bug/typo: the key form Sigrun changes between copper (on the wall/if you look at it) to silver (in picture/mouse-over in inventory)

Minor detail, but more fun than annoyance: Since I'm a Norwegian i would say the Old Norse/Norrøn pronunciation is way off some times :)

I also wonder when the police will knock on my door and ask why i google so much for "Heroin(e)" in combination with other strange words :P

[Last edited by Insectodium at 03-22-2014 06:33 PM]
03-22-2014 at 04:05 PM
eriktorbjorn
Radiant wrote:
Now available on Steam!

The link to Steam isn't working, since it points to the Caravel forum. I guess it's because it's a relative link, rather than an absolute one.

So I take it Steam is the only option for getting the game now? (I'm just curious because I don't have a Steam account, and I'm not really in any hurry to get one.)
03-22-2014 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
anqrja
Is there any way to load 1.1 save files in 1.2? The game crashes when I try with the message "Error: Game has changed: different audio clip count". Was only at chapter 2, so I'll live if I can't.
03-23-2014 at 12:19 AM
Radiant
Due to the way AGS works, doing a major version upgrade (as in, changes to the global script) will always break saved games; therefore it is not possible to use 1.1 saves in 1.2. Sorry.

03-23-2014 at 12:48 AM
endolex
Oh. My. God.

When I saw this game on Steam I was close to squealing. I haven't actually played it yet but I just now donated to you guys. This is so awesome! Both the idea of resurrecting one of my favorite gameplay concepts (Point'n'Click with RPG and multiple solutions / outcomes) AND with a non-optional female lead to boot (and even mentioned in the title, something which AAA+ devs would never dare)!
For this effort alone you are to be recommended. I will dig into the game as soon as I can. Until then you have my gratitude and love!

See ya,
endolex

[Last edited by endolex at 03-23-2014 02:31 PM]
03-23-2014 at 02:30 PM
BeastBad1368
Hello guys I'm new to the forum and I just recently installed Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok on STEAM and I'm kinda having an issue playing the game in full screen... Please help me solve this issue. :?

[Last edited by BeastBad1368 at 03-25-2014 09:26 AM]
03-25-2014 at 09:22 AM
Radiant
BeastBad1368 wrote:
Hello guys I'm new to the forum and I just recently installed Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok on STEAM and I'm kinda having an issue playing the game in full screen... Please help me solve this issue. :?
What's your issue, then?

03-25-2014 at 12:00 PM
Fizzii
03-25-2014 at 12:05 PM
bussiere
I would like to know where can i download the exe file ?
there is only steam available and i think that your game will work fine with wine on linux.

Regards and thanks for the game

Bussiere
03-26-2014 at 08:55 PM
Fizzii
You can download v1.1 from IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/heroines-quest/

The difference between that and v1.2 is quite small.

From what we're told, the game does run fine on Linux using WINE.
03-26-2014 at 11:29 PM
bussiere
thks a lot
03-26-2014 at 11:44 PM
arabab
Could you guys make the game available as a standalone installer for those of us that don't use steam? Thanks.
04-01-2014 at 05:06 AM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (v1.2.3 includes Linux version and Russian translation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com